PDA

View Full Version : What turbo to fit to a 4.2 diesel ?

makeitfit
16th August 2011, 10:16 AM
I've just signed up and wonder if you guys can advise :xxxx:
My Y60 Patrol 4.2 diesel is NA so I want to fit a turbo. DIY but don't know which one to go for. Is there a favourite you can suggest. I will be mainly offroading the beastie and love loads of grunt;)
I've got a mate who can make up the manifold and then a 3" exhaust :devilred:

patch697
16th August 2011, 10:35 AM
Try this link mate..... It should be able to answer your question & give you some handy info & tips on DIY fitting.....

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?4973-Fitting-a-genuine-Nissan-turbo-to-a-N-A-TD42

GUte
16th August 2011, 10:57 AM
Garret gt2860rs with a .64 turbine housing are well suited and spool up nice and quick.
Or Mitsubishi td05 16g which is the preffered choice of a well known diesel tuner here in WA, this is what I will be upgrading mine to when the time comes

makeitfit
16th August 2011, 11:08 AM
Nice one guys, just what I was looking for ;)
Loads to read on that link and now a shopping list too. Better get some work done quick sharp as I feel a big spend coming on :jawdrop:

AB
16th August 2011, 12:23 PM
Let us know how you go mate, I just finished putting my turbo on my GQ TD42 so feel free to ask any questions along the way.

I learnt a lot of "what not to do" experiences too so ask away to save some time and money!

Quick tip, if your going to use the bung on the LH side of the engine block just above the engine mount for the oil feed then see if the bung will come out first before buying the braided hose.:1087:

makeitfit
17th August 2011, 07:31 AM
I had thought of doing a custom exhaust manifold rather than the TD lump of pig iron:blowup:
Also want to fit a big old intercooler some where. Probably go for top mount and fit a big bonnet vent lke the scoobies :D
Does the fuel pump need turning up or modding in another attempt at more torque:1056:

TuffTD42
17th August 2011, 02:04 PM
I'm running the Garret 2871r .60 comp .64 hotside. Pretty happy with that set up but as usual want more so now looking at the 3071. I think ball bearing is the way to go. This will give you an idea of what the 2871 sounds like. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8G3B3Q4Zkw

You will need to get the injector pump tuned to suit the psi that you run. Mines been advanced & the fuel turned up to suit the 18psi the turbo's set at.

makeitfit
18th August 2011, 07:35 AM
That sounds broody ace :first:
Now I'm hooked :Yahoo!:

Dirtydog16
18th February 2012, 01:24 PM
G'day mate,

Mine is a turbo my Motsons in Brisbane. They have a website you could check out.

Mine was on the car before I bought it and has worked fine and I also got LPG injection which gave me a heap more power as well.

Enjoy

97_gq_lwb
18th February 2012, 01:48 PM
I thought about fitting a ballbearing turbo but after reading up on them i decided against it due to the high failure rate and cost to rebuild one.
I fitted a .63 ar exhaust .50 compressor t3 t4 to mine with the manifold and fittings etc for under $1000 new and couldn't be happier.
I also considered the 16g td05 mitsubishi with a 10cm exhaust heard good reports about them as well.

Ben-e-boy
18th February 2012, 08:27 PM
I have quite a few diesel fitter say that the can almost set the watch to a ball bearing turbo failure as much as I love the sound I opted for a mitsubishi TD05h 16g at GUte mentioned. the turbo whistle is next to non existant but they are a reliable bit of gear that can produce boost in the mid 20's psi

nissannewby
5th March 2012, 10:03 PM
I would speak to Matt at united fuel injection in wa he does many different specs of the td05 to suit nearly any application he gets back to you prompt with info and will be able to put you in the right direction these turbos are probably best suited to the td42 and are reliable to boot. From info i have seen posted around they seem to have a pretty broad rpm range in which they operate well.

TuffTD42
10th March 2012, 11:15 AM
I think all the ball bearing turbo failures I have read about are because there was no oil restrictor used or the drain was positioned wrong. One other was where the turbo was tuned to more boost than the turbo could handle & that resulted in an overspun turbo.

97_gq_lwb
10th March 2012, 12:41 PM
One thing to watch out for is the term high flow as usually this is just a load of crud they feed you when they bolt on a different wheel and housing combo and rob you much like a mugging lol.

madchris
18th March 2012, 02:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtHOMV0lv08&feature=related

Ben-e-boy
19th March 2012, 08:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtHOMV0lv08&feature=related

To me that seems like a bit bit of a waste of time to achieve 200hp at the wheels, When he could of easily achieved that with diesel, and still get 500,000 km out of it

my 2c

GU_Nemesis
21st March 2012, 08:08 PM
Hi mate, I have the same truck and was going to ask the exact same question, so thanks to all you guys for the info. Good luck with the build mate.

Scotty