PDA

View Full Version : Where to mount a winch?

Giggidy
16th August 2011, 08:13 AM
Hi all, I've got a '95 GQ with an alloy crash bar, but want to mount a decent winch. Can this be done given there's nowhere to thrread it through? Has anyone done this and where would it mount to the chassis?

As I understand it, the winch needs to go on the chassis anyway, so does the type of bullbar matter?
Cheers. Dan.

Bigrig
16th August 2011, 08:23 AM
Hey mate

Depending on the alloy bar, you can get a steel sub frame mounted behind it .. throw up a photo of your front bar and mounting point (from underneath) so we can have a look if possible.

Giggidy
16th August 2011, 11:00 PM
Hey bigrig - thanks mate. Here are some photos. It's hard to see, but there's a few possible mounting points - the strongest looks like that circular tube in one of the photos, but the shape makes it impractical. There's another bracket, but it isn't actually solid. It's steel though and is just under the radiator so may be a go-er if I cut a hole where the number plate is.

What do you think?

Bigrig
17th August 2011, 05:46 AM
Bloody tapatalk - not opening the photos - essentially if the front square bumper tube is large enough to accommodate a steel sub frame, then you should be able to get one made up - don't go to ARB or TJM etc as they'll usually push you down the path of a full front bar. Where are you based again? I'll be down at my local 4wd joint tomorrow (about to fly out to Sydney for the day) and I'll ask them about it as they said I could do the same on the old alloy bar I had - I'll post up some info later tomorrow but you could ask around local dealers in the meantime.

Giggidy
17th August 2011, 07:13 AM
I live in the inner west of Sydney, but am in the CBD all day - I go to Uni classes, then sleep in the back of the GQ when things get too much. And yes I sleep alone - those days are over for this mature age student! Cheers for staying on top of this post mate!

noel_w
1st February 2012, 03:35 PM
Any update on this. I have a 95 with the factory alloy bar and was hoping to keep it and also fit a winch. Would like to know the outcome.

black-mav
1st February 2012, 09:20 PM
get a xrox bar they look tuff there easy on the pocket compaired to others + have a winch mount :)

patrol_maverick
7th February 2012, 07:22 PM
The underside of that alloy bar is looking a bit sad LOL.

cokeholic
8th February 2012, 11:14 AM
If $1200.00 is easy on the pocket i'll bare my butt in bourke street......Not that i cant afford it but ide also like to give this a crack having a alloy bar ide be interested in a sub frame to mount a winch off does anybody have any specs or plans or anything that can be of help .....some people just like to stand back and say i did that myself and take some pride in doing it themselfs rather than oh bought it and they fitted it for me

patrol_maverick
8th February 2012, 05:26 PM
some people just like to stand back and say i did that myself and take some pride in doing it themselfs rather than oh bought it and they fitted it for me x2, although some people are just better off staying away from tools (We've all seen some rough things that people have made)

cokeholic
10th February 2012, 10:22 AM
Well since nobody has come to the rescue on this after ive finished putting in my 2 new bathrooms (%80 done) i'll do a pictoral on having a go at making and mounting a subframe and bolting it to the chassis rails and modifying the alloy bar im sure i can offer a 6 pack of crownies to one of the engineers at work to crunch some numbers for me on stress and what size of everything i need so i dont kill myself first winch i try.Stay tuned

growler2058
10th February 2012, 10:27 AM
Beauty we love pictorials!!

cokeholic
13th February 2012, 02:00 PM
Winch showed up this morning damm i gotta finish my bathrooms or the mrs is gunna kill me

madchris
16th February 2012, 09:29 AM
lol ill say rough have a look at the way i had to do my snorkel and that will give you a larf lol but couldn't be happier its tight no gaps and sealed come up a treat necessity is the mother of all invention if we seen how half of the stuff we have to day was built back in the day lol case in point world's fastest Indian ........ i rest our case enjoy don't dough't your self