PDA

View Full Version : dash illumination?

warey
14th August 2011, 08:30 PM
working on my project gu i noticed i have no illumination for dash when lights are on? tail lights are ok all other lights work too all fuses check out ok its a 02 dx and it doesnt look like it has a dimmer either any help appreciated btw i have a gregoreys manual but cant seem to find any info on it cheers warey

Finly Owner
14th August 2011, 09:48 PM
check dash wiring is still plugged in

Tim

loito
17th August 2011, 03:35 PM
Just my 2 bob's worth - check colour of park light wires and see if the same appears behind the dash. Then check to see if power is available to the wires with lights ON. If not try and trace back, looking for the obvious breaks, poor connections etc. Could be a fuse or relay that is not up to scratch. Also don't forget to see if the dash is earthed properly.

Cheers - Loito

Rewiring Civilian Bus & TD42

BillsGU
17th August 2011, 03:42 PM
I know this is obvious but - did you check the dash illumination control knob ? Some people don't know it exists.

Yendor
17th August 2011, 11:12 PM
Hi Warey

When you say, "no illumination for dash when lights are on"

Does this include the dash lights around the radio and air conditioner control panel?

Is it only the lights in the instrument cluster (speedo tacho and gauges) that don't work or does nothing in the dash light up when the park lights are turned on?

Cheers Rodney

warey
19th August 2011, 07:51 PM
hey guys sorry for late reply, been away for work, excellent suggestions will try and check them over the week end.
i have no dash illumination switch at all so its not that.
Rod, yeah mate just the dash lights every thing else is fine
cheers warey

BillsGU
19th August 2011, 08:02 PM
hey guys sorry for late reply, been away for work, excellent suggestions will try and check them over the week end.
i have no dash illumination switch at all so its not that.
Rod, yeah mate just the dash lights every thing else is fine
cheers warey

I thought every GU had a dash illumination control. It adjusts the intensity of the dash lights. If it is turned all the way down you will have no lights at all. On my GU it is next to the mirror adjustment control and below the engine heat switch - on the right hand side of the dash.

Yendor
19th August 2011, 09:07 PM
Hey Warey,

If it is only the lights behind the gauges that don't work and the lights around the radio and A/C work, I would have a look at the connector that would plug into your dash light dimmer switch (if you had one).

There should be a jumper wire in it, if this has been unplugged this will stop the lights behind the gauges from working.

Rodney

warey
29th August 2011, 12:23 PM
just an update ended up being the wedge globes at the back of the insturment cluster....... thanks for the suggestions

warey
29th August 2011, 12:28 PM
might just add to take the cluster out all i did was take the covers off around the steering wheel, remove the black facia, undo cluster screws pull cluster out as far as it will with connectors then disconnect them and with a bit of manovering the cluster will come out on the left side of the steering wheel