PDA

View Full Version : Antisocial Smoker

RED NED
14th August 2011, 12:22 PM
Hi all I've been slowly customising my 2.8 Diesel GQ. Recently added CB, spotties and an alloy bullbar(100 bucks, what a score). Saving for some better tyres too. One problem I have is that when I start Red Ned in the morning I send a toxic cloud over half the neighbourhood. I know its a 1997 diesel with 350 000 on the clock but surely there is some way to fix this! Can anyone help me?

YNOT
14th August 2011, 12:40 PM
Welcome to the forum Ned.

What color is the smoke and how long does the smoke keep coming out?

Tony

AB
14th August 2011, 07:37 PM
x2 Red Ned, colour of the smoke will help us a lot.

Blue, white or black smoke on start up?

RED NED
14th August 2011, 09:00 PM
Thanks Bluey and Ynot, the smoke comes out black in plumes for the first 30-60 seconds then reduces as the engine warms. Problem is that unless its windy the smoke covers my whole drive and front yard not a good look. My pregnant wife not so happy either! Might have to park in the street and pretend its not mine Haha!

YNOT
14th August 2011, 09:05 PM
How long since the glow plugs have been checked or replaced?

Tony

RED NED
14th August 2011, 09:10 PM
I don't know Tony as i've only had the patrol for a few months. There was nothing in the receipts that I got. Is that the best place to start?(sorry never owned a diesel before) Chris

Finly Owner
14th August 2011, 09:40 PM
Tell me moreabout glow plugs Tony?

Tim

taslucas
1st September 2011, 03:56 PM
A mate had a MQ diesel that did a similar thing. The problem was an injector leaking diesel into the cylinder overnight. When it was started in the morning there was a heap of diesel to be burnt or blown out, hence all the smoke. Not sure how to check if this is the problem. I dont know much about diesels! or petrols lol.

HippoNZ
1st September 2011, 05:35 PM
haha mate I've got an old MQ lying around that when I'd start it up it would just blow blue/grey smoke out the back and completely disguise everything around it, the cloud would make it's way over the fence and cloud over the neighbors too! Would feel embarrassed but laugh at the same time. Never did anything about it as it was my hack and was going to run it to the ground, jokes on me as it just doesn't give up haha true nissan right there. Has now become parts for my GQ as I need them where they fit. I just assumed it was the glow plugs not heating the fuel properly. But it also would blow a more than usual amount of oil into the air filter so who knows. Hope you find the cause

ablast
23rd September 2011, 03:42 PM
If the smoke is white it is oil, if the smoke is blue to black it is fuel. It could be as simple as needing new fuel filters. I would start there first. It could also be as previously mentioned some fuel leaking into the cylinder from an injector. You can take your injectors out and get them cleaned and tested. This is where I would start. I would also make sure the air filter is clean as a dirty air filter will restrict the airflow causing the fuel mixture to be incorrect.

White Elephant
23rd September 2011, 04:25 PM
Fuel filter will be a good start, also check the little mesh fuel filter inside the banjo bolt on the injector pump, it gets gummed up as well. I had a bit of a smoke problem in my 95 2.8 TDI a while back I changed the filter and then pulled the banjo bolt out, hit it with some carby cleaner and a cotton tip which made a big difference.(quite a bit of cr@p came out incidentally) The seals on the injector pump can also fail after a while which allows them to suck in air and cause it to smoke and run a bit rough. But go with the simple options first so you don't have to part with $ unnecessarily.

http://www.unitedfuel.com.au/upload/pages/light-com-4wd-passenger/fuel-injection-trouble-shooting-guide.pdf

This is a handy link for diagnosing possible injection issues.

Good luck with it!