tom2011
13th August 2011, 09:00 PM
Hi all

Question can anyone help.
I have just tried to install some HID lights
With the H4 hi low globe.. Lights Mickey mouse
However when I turn headlights off the bloody things
Stay on lol. I have each light earthed to the chassi, all leads to the
Lights and balast connected. I have the existing headlight wiring loom ( drivers side)
Connected to the hid conector. And I have the positive lead from the hid
Relay connected to the battery. Also when I start the patrol the passenger side
Turns off

Any ideas from the tables of knowledge???

YNOT
13th August 2011, 09:07 PM
I'm a bit confused as to how you have it wired up? Are you using a seperate headlight loom or the original Nissan wiring?

Tony

tom2011
13th August 2011, 09:09 PM
I have the hid wirring loom that connects to the balast and lights and it says
You need to connect the original Nissan wirring loom that used to attach to your old globes
Into the hid connector prior to the hid relay... I hope this makes it easy to
Understand?

Finly Owner
13th August 2011, 10:05 PM
I have the hid wirring loom that connects to the balast and lights and it says
You need to connect the original Nissan wirring loom that used to attach to your old globes
Into the hid connector prior to the hid relay... I hope this makes it easy to
Understand?

So basically plug and play?

Tim

MudRunnerTD
13th August 2011, 11:48 PM
Yeah mate i have the same problem sometimes too. I have had HiLo HID in the GQ for 6 or 7 years. they are great but can be a bit temperamental like that. Its like a sticky relay or something.

I have found by flashing the hi-beams on the stalk they turn off once the switch is off. Give it a go, hope it helps or you battery will be flat by now ;)

If anyone has another solution let me know....

Cheers MR

MC97GQ
14th August 2011, 09:00 AM
tom2011,

I know this seems to be a bit of an old chestnut, but if you have just plugged into your old wiring for the HID's have you thought about the possibility it could be your Headlight Combination Switch in the cab.

It might pay if you have a test light to unplug the HID's and check your original plugs to see if they are working correctly.

I don't know much about HID's(hadn't heard of them till I joined this forum)but I do know from personal experience the Headlight Switch can be a troublesome little devil.

Hope this is of some use.

Mark

big_fletch
14th August 2011, 04:26 PM
Sounds like the relay is sticky or headlight switch is playing up as already said.. As for the light turning off when you start it, the HID ballasts have a voltage protection on them.. If the voltage drops below 9v or goes above about 17v the ballast shuts itself off to prevent damage.. When cranking it is very possible for the voltage to drop down to 9v even for a split second and shut a ballast down

Fletcha

Yendor
14th August 2011, 06:04 PM
The next time the lights stay on after you have turned them off, try disconnecting the connector where the HID plugs into the original headlight plug.

If the lights go off when this plug is disconnected then the problem is more then likely with your headlight switch.

If they stay on then there must be something wrong within the HID system itself.

With the LHS headlight going off when starting, I would double check the earth connection on the LHS of the HID harness, (if it has one) all the HID kits I have seen have this second earth connection.

You could even try running a temporary wire from the negative battery terminal and see if that fixes it.

Cheers Rodney

tom2011
14th August 2011, 06:42 PM
Hi all

Thanks for all your help once again.
Looks like it was stoping to 9vt on start up thus turning the
Hid light off to protect the balast.

As for the staying on. Well it looks like it may
Have been a problem with the Nissan headlight connection
Gave it a little wiggle and it fixed it so I replaced the connector
And works well..

MC97GQ
14th August 2011, 09:02 PM
Nice work tom2011,

Thanks for getting back to us,

It would probably be a good idea when you get a chance to renew the headlight wiring loom and throw in some relays to take the pressure of the genuine Nissan wiring.

That should also give greater longevity for your headlight switch.

Good luck with it all

Mark