PDA

View Full Version : 100/130 h4 headlight globes

snake1978
13th August 2011, 08:42 AM
Hey guys
Sorry ive been pretty busy and havent been on for a month or so.
I got my gq 2in lift this week, ill post pics later.
My q is, if i put 100/130 globes into my GQ, which i read draw 8.3 amps each on low and 10.8 each on high, does the patrol have enough output standard to run these, or would i need to get a solenoid relay as well.
I saw one on ebay ( 40 Amp 12V 5 pin solenoid relay suit pr 100-130W lights) for 8.00 and 7.00 delivery.
thanks guys

snake1978
13th August 2011, 09:01 AM
another option is those HID globes,, brighter , less wattage draw

MudRunnerTD
13th August 2011, 11:53 PM
The factory loom will really struggle with switching those mate, upgrading the loom while you are there would be a massive bonus and i would recommend it.

If it is your daily driver then stick with Halogens. If though. it is a weekender then go the HIDs into Focal lenses for a great upgrade.

Cheers MR

snake1978
14th August 2011, 08:52 AM
cool thanks
why do u say stick with halogens for a daily driver? would hids not be recommended running often like normal globes?

YNOT
14th August 2011, 09:11 AM
Converting your headlights to HID is illegal (that doesn't stop many people doing it anyway) and if not adjsted down can be blinding for oncoming drivers.
My suggestion is to fit good quality Narva or Hella lenses with halogen plus 50 or plus 80 globes and fit a proper headlight loom with relays. Doing this is completely legal and far superior to standard lighting.

Tony

MudRunnerTD
14th August 2011, 11:15 AM
Converting your headlights to HID is illegal (that doesn't stop many people doing it anyway) and if not adjsted down can be blinding for oncoming drivers.
My suggestion is to fit good quality Narva or Hella lenses with halogen plus 50 or plus 80 globes and fit a proper headlight loom with relays. Doing this is completely legal and far superior to standard lighting.

Tony

Yep what Tony said mate,

If its a daily then you really have to consider all other road users and doing what Tony has outlined will be a winner.

Mine is pretty well a bush only truck and although HID HiLo and everything else, i am mindful on the affect on other drivers and try and avoid contact with traffic where i can.

Cheers

snake1978
25th August 2011, 05:51 PM
do u guys run the hid spotties?
what are they like compared to a 100w normal halogen

YNOT
25th August 2011, 05:57 PM
do u guys run the hid spotties?
what are they like compared to a 100w normal halogen

I run a pair Narva Ultima 175's with 55w 4300k HID bulbs. There is no comparison to halogen lighting, HID is just THAT much better. These Narva's I'm running put out about double the light of my previous set up of 4 lights with 100w halogens. Once you've had HID you will never go back to halogen.

Tony

Robo
24th December 2011, 01:09 AM
Hi buddy.
Hid in hi/low best steer clear, forget turning down not the answere as you come over a hill you will still blind the oncoming vechile. and still illegal.
Put hids in spotties is the go, when you turn on, wired with relay correctly "legaly" they come on.
And presto "let there be light" and lots of it.
get yourself some 55w version and some where 4300-6000 kelvin.
stay away from above 6k as on wet rd no good.
the yellow-ish to white ligh spectrum is what your after "more light".
above 6k blue-ish which dosen't reflect so well on dry rd and forget it in the wet. may as well be holding onto a dolphine torch.
hope this helps.

Robo
31st December 2011, 12:46 PM
More info.
White light has all the colours available in the light spectrum, that's why you see better with white as our eyes have more to pickup on.
And if you go into 4500k and below "turning yellowish" ( K= kelvin, scale light is measured ) this cuts down on the amount of light that is bright, ie glare and softens it, ie less light but we still see well.
And in fog and rain the softer light refracts less so you see better.
water in the air reflect light in all directions, that why white is no good here, if forms sort of a blanket which we have trouble looking through, but with the softer yellowish light we see better.
Its just how our eyes work, we process this yellow light better.
The opposite is said over approx upwards 6000 kelvin turning blueish and darker, our eyes not so good above 6k, and 8k at night forget it in the rain its a darker colour and it's being refacked by water and not making light bounce back for us to see it "lights out".
hope this clears up the ? of what colour globes to go for.

Hobbsy
9th June 2013, 08:27 AM
Hi all The info you have all given is really great .I do have one quick question though.I am told the "new era "brand are great relays for headlights and I noticed they come in 15,20 & 30 amp units .My spotties have the 30 amp unit. I am thinking they are the one to go for if upgrading the feed wires to the relay and the 15 amp units would be fine if just using +50 and not going up to the 100/130's...is this correct.Thanks for the advice

kevin07
10th June 2013, 01:50 AM
Hi buddy.
Hid in hi/low best steer clear, forget turning down not the answere as you come over a hill you will still blind the oncoming vechile. and still illegal.
Put hids in spotties is the go, when you turn on, wired with relay correctly "legaly" they come on.
And presto "let there be light" and lots of it.
get yourself some 55w version and some where 4300-6000 kelvin.
stay away from above 6k as on wet rd no good.
the yellow-ish to white ligh spectrum is what your after "more light".
above 6k blue-ish which dosen't reflect so well on dry rd and forget it in the wet. may as well be holding onto a dolphine torch.
hope this helps.

got to agree with the color I have 6000k hids and they are to white ill be going back to 5000k or 4300k before next big trip and with the headlights don't do hids even the factory ones when they go over speed humps they belt you im a bus driver and its a killer.kev

tezzza88
12th August 2013, 02:06 AM
are HIDs illegal with hi, and or hi and low? or is every state different?

threedogs
12th August 2013, 08:59 AM
They are illegal unless they are fitted STD or maybe has Wipers.
I'm going to change back to 110/90 Halogen , Found that range to
give a great white beam, and don't think hot enough to melt lens,
My driving lights are 100watt HID ac, them plus my 240 watt light bar
means I have more than enough light at night time. Over the W$nk factor.
highest speed in Vic is 110kph and pretty sure I couldn't "out drive" my lights

@ Tezza88 its the intensity of the colour you really need to be 4500K or lower
8000K up they start turning blue then green ,Purple, pink etc
Check Kelvan colour chart

liftlid
12th August 2013, 06:12 PM
I've just changed my head lights from HID , to 90/140w Halogen and then to 55w Narva intense Halogen and put in better driving lights to compensate.
If HID were legal (mine's a daily driver) I would run them they were terrific 35w per globe draw.
The 90/140w globes draw too much current, so battery doesn't get a good charge when on a night drive.
So its back to candle's for the time being until somebody makes an decent approved round headlight.

Brisat
14th August 2013, 12:32 AM
Mate , I have used 100/130 for the last 3 years, they actually over-ride the driving lights, as for relays Superthief or Repco have just standard relays , which cost stuff-all and are normally 20 amps

liftlid
14th August 2013, 09:15 AM
Mate , I have used 100/130 for the last 3 years, they actually over-ride the driving lights, as for relays Superthief or Repco have just standard relays , which cost stuff-all and are normally 20 amps

Driving lights are HID, the 140w globes didn't over ride them. They also take too much out of the battery when going slow.

threedogs
17th August 2013, 09:11 AM
You will also find with those 130/100 that the filament breaks too easy, 110/90 I found better than some hid kits I fitted.
I didn't use them as I have plastic lens's. For off road use you can't go past sealed beams but they are slowly becoming a thing
of the past,

liftlid
17th August 2013, 10:38 AM
It scares me to even think about going back to sealed beam headlights in a GQ ! , I haven't had issues with blown globes, I do get a cracked lens about 1 a year which I don't mind. The round headlights are cheap and it doesn't matter if dirt gets in them i just accept it as one of the costs of putting my car where I do. the GU lights would be a different matter though $$

catchinjack
7th May 2014, 01:43 PM
Sorry to wake up old thread BUT do you have to upgrade loom or put relay in for the sealed beam 90/100 lights or will they run ok without any changes?

the evil twin
7th May 2014, 03:21 PM
Sorry to wake up old thread BUT do you have to upgrade loom or put relay in for the sealed beam 90/100 lights or will they run ok without any changes?

I would definitely upgrade the wiring loom and fit relays.
If you don't the stalk switch which is problematic with standard globes has to swallow all that extra current.
The voltage drop in the factory system with the extra current is usually enough to negate the improved wattage anyway.
Another thing to pay close attention to is the earth at the reflector plugs. I have seen several of these melt due to the heat of the extra current

Over the years I have tried almost every type of lighting in the GQ... HID, 90/100, 100/130, crystal etc etc
The best results I got (for me and the poor bugger coming the other way) were with relays and upgraded loom powering +100 Philips in the standard wattage.
I have not tried the later HID projector lens tho.

Plug and play looms are like $150 to $200 on Ebay which IMHO is a rip because all you need is relays, cimps and a few metres of wire BUT for a lot of people the premade looms are more convenient so fair enough in that regard I s'pose

catchinjack
8th May 2014, 11:42 AM
Thanks mate, might just sell them and not bother lol

mick.
10th May 2014, 02:19 PM
I would definitely upgrade the wiring loom and fit relays.
If you don't the stalk switch which is problematic with standard globes has to swallow all that extra current.
The voltage drop in the factory system with the extra current is usually enough to negate the improved wattage anyway.
Another thing to pay close attention to is the earth at the reflector plugs. I have seen several of these melt due to the heat of the extra current

Over the years I have tried almost every type of lighting in the GQ... HID, 90/100, 100/130, crystal etc etc
The best results I got (for me and the poor bugger coming the other way) were with relays and upgraded loom powering +100 Philips in the standard wattage.
I have not tried the later HID projector lens tho.

Plug and play looms are like $150 to $200 on Ebay which IMHO is a rip because all you need is relays, cimps and a few metres of wire BUT for a lot of people the premade looms are more convenient so fair enough in that regard I s'poseI've just started selling the first true 7 inch Projector HID. These are specially made to replace the crappy factory light as a full bolt in replacement with upgraded loom. There is no CV boot on the back or halogen lights converted there are dedicated projector HID headlights.

They put out 70 to 80 lux per headlight as apposed to the new Ford ranger that puts out 15 to 20. These figures came from testing at a Ford dealership from a customer.

This is one light. Yes they are still illegal just like higher wattage halogen bulbs but as they don't blind oncoming traffic and if used with 4300K they look OEM.

http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l510/mickkk78/Latestoutputpics025_zps8d621f2e.jpg

http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l510/mickkk78/sealed7maypics003_zps9148ecaa.jpg

http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l510/mickkk78/sealed7maypics008_zps875545df.jpg

If your after cheap and halogen I would personally get Britrax headlights and do the upgraded loom with Philips bulbs though. The looms are simple to make and in all honesty the ones on ebay are crap. I think there about $5 each from China and then sold on ebay for massive mark ups.

Cheers Mick

Shaft10
11th May 2014, 08:25 PM
I've just started selling the first true 7 inch Projector HID. These are specially made to replace the crappy factory light as a full bolt in replacement with upgraded loom. There is no CV boot on the back or halogen lights converted there are dedicated projector HID headlights.

They put out 70 to 80 lux per headlight as apposed to the new Ford ranger that puts out 15 to 20. These figures came from testing at a Ford dealership from a customer.

This is one light. Yes they are still illegal just like higher wattage halogen bulbs but as they don't blind oncoming traffic and if used with 4300K they look OEM.

http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l510/mickkk78/Latestoutputpics025_zps8d621f2e.jpg

http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l510/mickkk78/sealed7maypics003_zps9148ecaa.jpg

http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l510/mickkk78/sealed7maypics008_zps875545df.jpg

If your after cheap and halogen I would personally get Britrax headlights and do the upgraded loom with Philips bulbs though. The looms are simple to make and in all honesty the ones on ebay are crap. I think there about $5 each from China and then sold on ebay for massive mark ups.

Cheers Mick

How much are those lights ya got there mate

mick.
11th May 2014, 11:10 PM
There $950 a pair fully built ready to bolt in. So pretty much the same as a good pair of HID spotlights but you have the light all the time.

I can also sell them dissembled for $750 where to put them together, cut the shrouds, bolt the projectors in and seal the lenses and lights yourself.

Cheers Mick