PDA

View Full Version : Snicko doing the NADS

snicko
9th August 2011, 04:48 PM
From when I joined the forum my mechanical prowness went as far as fitting a sandflag !! Since then I have fitted a steering damper and harriette !!

Now I need to get fitted the stuff that brought me to this wonderful forum.
I have a GU 2006 ZD30 (not CDR) and already have a boost and a pyro guage fitted along with the 3" exhaust and chip.
From what I have read about doing the NADS I have questions.

Is this what the NADS consist of?
Block the EGR
Fit a catch can
Fit a Pyro guage
Fit a boost guage
Fit dawes and needle valve set up
Clean MAF and inlet manifold
Is replacing the intercooler part of the NADS or just a good idea?
Are there other things that should be done to protect the engine?

My mechanic who will be doing the job (with me hindering!!) has not done this before so is there any tricks that he needs to know?? (and thats not telling him to keep me out of it either!!)

What would be the best catch can to fit? I have looked on eBay and there are lots!
The same with the dawes needle valve. I belive in shopping locally but as America has been the only suggested place to get it are they the only ones who do them?

Is there any thing else I need to know?

Snicko

nowoolies
9th August 2011, 05:36 PM
My mechanic who will be doing the job (with me hindering!!) has not done this before so is there any tricks that he needs to know?? (and thats not telling him to keep me out of it either!!)

cant help with other side of things

BUT......................

I HAVE TO BITE TOUNGE hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha big breath hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

snicko
9th August 2011, 05:51 PM

cant help with other side of things

BUT......................

I HAVE TO BITE TOUNGE hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha big breath hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I wondered who would be the first...........................!!

YNOT
9th August 2011, 05:52 PM
Block the EGR Yes
Fit a catch can Yes
Fit a Pyro guage Yes
Fit a boost guage Yes
Fit dawes and needle valve set up Yes
Clean MAF and inlet manifold Yes
Is replacing the intercooler part of the NADS or just a good idea? Only necessary to replace if it is leaking, fitting an upgraded intercooler will bring the EGT's down a bit which is good for the engine.

From the research I have done the Mann-Hummel Provent 200 is the best catch can/PCV filter.

3Bar racing is the most common place to get Dawes valves although someone on here got one fromTJM recently but I don't know if it was made locally.

Tony

growler2058
9th August 2011, 06:04 PM
i thought nads was a blokes ball5 hahahhahahahahaha

macca
9th August 2011, 06:10 PM
Up here in New South, Nads was the greyhound on the footy show.
They had great pleasure in encouraging him to the finish line if you know what I mean.
Macca

Maxhead
9th August 2011, 06:13 PM
From the research I have done the Mann-Hummel Provent 200 is the best catch can/PCV filter.

Tony

Have to agree with Tony the Provent is the nuts guts, you will be surprised how much oil you collect. I empty mine every couple of thousand k's and I get around 50ml.
With mine I found your air filter should stay cleaner as well, but some might disagree on this one

Good luck with the mods

macca
9th August 2011, 06:16 PM
"My mechanic who will be doing the job (with me hindering!!) has not done this before so is there any tricks that he needs to know?? (and thats not telling him to keep me out of it either!!)"

A mate here is a tradesman and has 3 hourly rates

1) $60/hour. To do the job
2) $80/hour. If the customer wants to watch
3) $100/hour. If the customer wants to assist

What can you afford? :smiley_thumbs_up:

Macca

snicko
9th August 2011, 08:15 PM
"My mechanic who will be doing the job (with me hindering!!) has not done this before so is there any tricks that he needs to know?? (and thats not telling him to keep me out of it either!!)"

Macca

I need to know what has been done as its up to me. I wish I had a friend who would help but I don't so I have to pay!

macca
10th August 2011, 07:04 AM
Your dead right Snicko
Somehow trades just dont understand what you want done and why. And what you are going to do with it.
We all have stories to tell Im guessing.
Good luck and good on you
Macca

patch697
10th August 2011, 08:54 AM
I need to know what has been done as its up to me. I wish I had a friend who would help but I don't so I have to pay!

Im very sorry snicko but your so far away other wise I'd do the mods "WITH YOU"...........

patch697
10th August 2011, 08:57 AM

Macca

Had the same in my workshop some time back......lol

But that being said,.... I never knoked back anyone who wanted to learn anything about there cars either....

nowoolies
10th August 2011, 09:21 AM
I wondered who would be the first...........................!!

sorry could`nt help my self hahahahahaah

snicko
10th August 2011, 11:01 AM
sorry could`nt help my self hahahahahaah

That's OK nowoolies I would do the same thing!! hahahahahaha

fixer982
10th August 2011, 01:01 PM
I need to know what has been done as its up to me. I wish I had a friend who would help but I don't so I have to pay!Don't be bashful, Snicko. You need to know what's going on unless you have someone like Tony or Patch around. But you're still fun to stir up about it....lol

snicko
10th August 2011, 01:08 PM
Don't be bashful, Snicko. You need to know what's going on unless you have someone like Tony or Patch around. But you're still fun to stir up about it....lol

Thanks for that....I think?.........Anyway yeah I wish I did live closer to either Tony or Patch BUT I think they are probably glad that I don't !!
When it comes to my truck I can be a serial pest!! hahahahaahhaha

fixer982
10th August 2011, 01:14 PM
We have all had bad encounters with the mechanical profession and even the best ones make mistakes. If you see what they do, then when something bad happens, it's just that much easier to get the rig home. How did you go with computers? Did you get it sorted and get your remote working properly?

timbar
10th August 2011, 02:40 PM
I would help you out S N I C K O but it seems you know more about it than i do Plus you live soooo Far away ......:( so im of no use to you either :(

nowoolies
10th August 2011, 03:50 PM
i could send teddy over hahahahahahaahah

snicko
10th August 2011, 03:52 PM
i could send teddy over hahahahahahaahah

Hahahahahhahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahah ahha big breath hahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahaha gulp hahahahaha

Sir Roofy
10th August 2011, 04:26 PM
hahahahahhahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahah ahha big breath hahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahaha gulp hahahahaha
from what ive been told its a loooooooooooonnnnng
way to snickoland

snicko
10th August 2011, 04:30 PM
from what ive been told its a loooooooooooonnnnng
way to snickoland

Sigh.................you got that right..............sigh. I would love to come on the trips that are getting organised............sigh.

snicko
10th August 2011, 04:33 PM
Back to my NADS I will see if I can take pics in the workshop when they are getting done and will post them up.

Sir Roofy
10th August 2011, 04:36 PM
sigh.................you got that right..............sigh. I would love to come on the trips that are getting organised............sigh.

nothing stopping you mate still got time to come over
it would be worth your while---kat would be over the moon
and we,d love to meet you as well

Chaz
10th August 2011, 09:25 PM
From when I joined the forum my mechanical prowness went as far as fitting a sandflag !! Since then I have fitted a steering damper and harriette !!

Now I need to get fitted the stuff that brought me to this wonderful forum.
I have a GU 2006 ZD30 (not CDR) and already have a boost and a pyro guage fitted along with the 3" exhaust and chip.
From what I have read about doing the NADS I have questions.

Block the EGR
Fit a catch can
Fit a Pyro guage
Fit a boost guage
Fit dawes and needle valve set up
Clean MAF and inlet manifold
Is replacing the intercooler part of the NADS or just a good idea?

What would be the best catch can to fit? I have looked on eBay and there are lots!
The same with the dawes needle valve. I belive in shopping locally but as America has been the only suggested place to get it are they the only ones who do them?

Is there any thing else I need to know?

Snicko

Hi snicko,

Another vote here for the Provent. I’ve tried a few different types of crankcase filters and the Provent is by far the most efficient. If you haven’t got any of the gear yet, consider giving Grant at Crosscountry4x4 (http://www.crosscountry4x4.com.au/products.php?productid=274) a call and order one of his engine saver kits without the catch can. They come with a Dawes Valve and EGR blocking plate.

Then order a Patrol Turbo Boost Adjust kit from Dependable Distributors (http://www.dependabledistributors.com.au/Genquip-Other-Products/Nissan-Patrol-Turbo-Boost-Adjust-Kit.aspx?id=205&sc=43&c=3) to complete the NADS.

This gear is all available in Adelaide if you’re down this way.

Fitting the Manual Boost controller isn’t difficult, but some people have problems setting them up. If you’re mechanic isn’t sure, get him to read the bottom part of THIS (http://www.chaz.yellowfoot.org/Manual%20Boost%20Controller.htm) page.

Good luck with it.
Cheers,
Chaz

snicko
10th August 2011, 09:37 PM
Hi snicko,

Another vote here for the Provent. I’ve tried a few different types of crankcase filters and the Provent is by far the most efficient. If you haven’t got any of the gear yet, consider giving Grant at Crosscountry4x4 (http://www.crosscountry4x4.com.au/products.php?productid=274) a call and order one of his engine saver kits without the catch can. They come with a Dawes Valve and EGR blocking plate.

Then order a Patrol Turbo Boost Adjust kit from Dependable Distributors (http://www.dependabledistributors.com.au/Genquip-Other-Products/Nissan-Patrol-Turbo-Boost-Adjust-Kit.aspx?id=205&sc=43&c=3) to complete the NADS.

This gear is all available in Adelaide if you’re down this way.

Fitting the Manual Boost controller isn’t difficult, but some people have problems setting them up. If you’re mechanic isn’t sure, get him to read the bottom part of THIS (http://www.chaz.yellowfoot.org/Manual%20Boost%20Controller.htm) page.

Good luck with it.
Cheers,
Chaz

Thanks Heaps Chaz. I have the blocking plate but nothing else so I will give the guys you suggested a call.

When organising this with my mechanic I said I would take my lap top into the workshop and have your site up so if there are was anything he wasn't sure of he could read it.

Thanks again
Snicko

katwoman
10th August 2011, 10:23 PM
Go for it, girl friend !!!!

I am no use either, cos diesels are yucky !! But I agree all with what roofy said... get your a55 over here !!

Good luck with it....

Silver
10th August 2011, 10:49 PM
Go for it, girl friend !!!!

I am no use either, cos diesels are yucky !! But I agree all with what roofy said... get your a55 over here !!

Good luck with it....

Why would anyone go to cold wet Vic at this time of year, come to Qld before the hot and sticky months arrive!

Good luck with your NADS snicko

maphew
18th August 2011, 07:55 PM
Sorry to hijack the thread, two questions if I may:
1.) Can somebody explain the purpose of the dawes valve?
2.) Is the EGR blocking plate difficult to make? I was thinking of using the gasket as a template and making a plate out of 3mm plate steel?

mcjah
19th August 2011, 10:29 AM
The Dawes Valve is unique to TDi cars with Vacuum Controlled Nozzle Actuators and works in a similar way to a Ball Valve, but without the vent hole to release pressure for the Wastegate. Manual boost control is achieved by bypassing the ECU controlled Solenoid Valve to have total control via a Needle Valve from inside the vehicle. The Needle Valve controls the rate of turbo spool and the TDi Dawes Valve controls maximum boost to a moderate 18psi at full throttle and 4000rpm.
This system eliminates boost spikes to over 25psi as well as boost fluctuations for EGR, which helps to maintain lower EGT's by having constant boost levels at lower pressures.

I think lol :D

big_fletch
19th August 2011, 08:36 PM
The Dawes Valve is unique to TDi cars with Vacuum Controlled Nozzle Actuators and works in a similar way to a Ball Valve, but without the vent hole to release pressure for the Wastegate. Manual boost control is achieved by bypassing the ECU controlled Solenoid Valve to have total control via a Needle Valve from inside the vehicle. The Needle Valve controls the rate of turbo spool and the TDi Dawes Valve controls maximum boost to a moderate 18psi at full throttle and 4000rpm.
This system eliminates boost spikes to over 25psi as well as boost fluctuations for EGR, which helps to maintain lower EGT's by having constant boost levels at lower pressures.

Basically spot on mate hahaha

Chaz
19th August 2011, 11:56 PM
Sorry to hijack the thread, two questions if I may:
1.) Can somebody explain the purpose of the dawes valve?
2.) Is the EGR blocking plate difficult to make? I was thinking of using the gasket as a template and making a plate out of 3mm plate steel?

3mm plate is way too thick. The original gasket is stainless and less than 1mm, so if you use steel you'd be ok with 1mm thick. If you go too thick, the flange won't line up and you'll need to undo the bottom flange at the EGR valve to get the top to mate up.

Chaz
19th August 2011, 11:57 PM

X2, I would have said something similar........haha!

snicko
11th September 2011, 09:26 PM
Well tomorrow is the day..............the poor mechanic!!.........hahahahahahaha

I am a bit nervous tho as he hasn't done any of this before so I have been searching on here for advice that has been given.
I can not find if anyone has put up pics as to plumbing in the Provent 200 catch can?? I got the can but no hoses or instructions came with it. HELP!!

Silver
11th September 2011, 09:43 PM
Well tomorrow is the day..............the poor mechanic!!.........hahahahahahaha

I am a bit nervous tho as he hasn't done any of this before so I have been searching on here for advice that has been given.
I can not find if anyone has put up pics as to plumbing in the Provent 200 catch can?? I got the can but no hoses or instructions came with it. HELP!!

Good luck and have fun Snicko!

timbar
11th September 2011, 09:45 PM
Good Luck S N I C KO hope all goes well for you

snicko
12th September 2011, 10:01 PM
Today was the day. The whole reason I ended up on this forum - Over boosting and needed to do the NADS

My mechanic was excellent. He was very patient answering my questions - Whats that?? What does it do etc............hahaha
The guys in the workshop were on there best behaviour. Until I had a piece of 2'' hose 200mm long on a slight bend in my hand! and I said this is huge!!............my poor mechanic couldn't control himself and laughed and laughed!! I mean what could I say after that????

My job was to hold the light!! and the only other thing I did was put the nut on the intercooler cover!!

We cleaned out the top thingy - YUCK

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m481/snicko1/public/P1030123sized.jpg

YUCK again

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m481/snicko1/public/P1030126sized.jpg

Stuff pulled of ready to do the next bit

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m481/snicko1/public/P1030127sized.jpg

Dawes valve fitted

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m481/snicko1/public/P1030133sized.jpg

Hose fitted to boost gauge and other tingy

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m481/snicko1/public/P1030134sized.jpg
Red hoses are for the catch can (pretty arn't they??)
All put back together

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m481/snicko1/public/P1030135sized.jpg

After all was done we took it for a test drive. Seemed all good but the pyro guage was a bit high so need to take it back and tweak it.

Was a great day and thanks to my patient mechanic I now know lots more.

belzi82
12th September 2011, 10:11 PM
Love your work Snicko, all the 'thingy's' look great!!!!

snicko
12th September 2011, 10:26 PM
Love your work Snicko, all the 'thingy's' look great!!!!

Thanks Bel that's what I call them too!!............hahahahaha

big_fletch
12th September 2011, 10:32 PM
Nice work there snicko, looks good with the red hoses.. Very 'Sporty' lol

patch697
12th September 2011, 11:33 PM
Girls & cars...... I just love it..... Bikinis or not its still hot................hahahahahahahaha

snicko
12th September 2011, 11:39 PM
Thanks Patch.....I think...........hahahahahahahaha

Silver
12th September 2011, 11:44 PM
yep, they all look like thingys to me too, ......except maybe that bit of hose...... and I have rebuilt a couple of carby 6s and a carby V8.

Very impressed snicko.

the ferret
13th September 2011, 01:01 AM
All good snicko, thingys are fine, Job well done mate.
Cheers Ferret.

growler2058
13th September 2011, 07:24 AM
Onya Snicko :-)

macca
13th September 2011, 07:33 AM
Love your work! Great to hear it all went well.
Interested to hear more on your Pyro readings, learning more about that all the time.
Good stuff
Macca

snicko
13th September 2011, 08:51 AM
Love your work! Great to hear it all went well.
Interested to hear more on your Pyro readings, learning more about that all the time.
Good stuff
Macca

The readings were 570 degress at 10psi at full noise. Need to take it back and up the boost.

macca
13th September 2011, 09:11 AM
Thats about what I've been getting from my 4.2, I think thats OK for me.
Its not for your 3.0?
Sound like you are having success with your mods
Macca

nowoolies
13th September 2011, 09:15 AM
well done Snicko
now you gotta go out to some distant place put the little stick in 4x4 and find out what she do`es and how much better !!!!!!
and hopfully no little thingy `s gunna fall off hahahahahaha

top job and dont for get more piccies ......we luv piccies

patch697
13th September 2011, 09:26 AM
Thats about what I've been getting from my 4.2, I think thats OK for me.
Its not for your 3.0?
Sound like you are having success with your mods
Macca

That EGT is to high even for a TD42...... anything under 500 is really what your looking for here. 520 to 550 is about the MAX you would want to see your Pyro hit while your Patrol is working it ding off & even then only a short burst at that.

If you see temps above 500 then its time to lift off the go pedal.

Do you know what boost your getting an those EGT's Macca?

macca
13th September 2011, 10:09 AM
Sent PM Patch

philws
14th September 2011, 01:12 PM
Hey Snicko looking good, I am looking at taking the plunge with a 2003 GUIII 3L and I am trying to figure out how much it will cost to do the NADS? do you mind if I ask how much the whole catastrophe set you back? cheers

snicko
14th September 2011, 01:25 PM
When I have the bill for Monday's work I will post up here what I had to pay for everything to do the NADS!! (no friends Snicko....hahahahaha)

Sir Roofy
14th September 2011, 02:26 PM
When I have the bill for Monday's work I will post up here what I had to pay for everything to do the NADS!! (no friends Snicko....hahahahaha)

hi snicko ha ha wont be as much as a new motor,any way theres lots of 3l running around with lots of milage on the clock
now that you have your nads done it will be easyer to mantain only one way to find out how good it is to come on over and we,ll show you some great country

snicko
14th September 2011, 03:09 PM
hi snicko ha ha wont be as much as a new motor,any way theres lots of 3l running around with lots of milage on the clock
now that you have your nads done it will be easyer to mantain only one way to find out how good it is to come on over and we,ll show you some great country

Thanks Roofy I'm working on Hubby...........hahahahahaha

snicko
16th September 2011, 02:08 PM
As the temp was a bit high and I hadn't had the needle valve fitted today I fixed it. My trusty mechanic used his patience again and I was back. hahaha

It's now reading 480 Degress at 15 psi full noise.

the ferret
16th September 2011, 02:19 PM
That's good snicko, you must keep it below 500, over that for prolonged period will melt pistons. ouch!!
Cheers Rod.

snicko
18th September 2011, 02:54 PM
Hi Guys

Hooked the camper on and went for a drive. On the flat at 100kmh 4th gear its doing 3100 revs 300-350 degrees at 13psi. (Constant speed)
At the worst going up hills it got up to 525 degrees at 15psi

When we got home the car smelt really hot.

BTW Hubby is very cross with me. The high temp melted the rubber we have on the back to stop stones when the camper is hooked up!!
And he can't see what all the fuss is about (NADS)!! So I'm copping it!! hahahahahha

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m481/snicko1/public/P1030138sized.jpg

scotty83
18th September 2011, 03:34 PM
general question. any reason why you would take the boost gauge off that side of the intercooler. i have mine on the other side.. is there any difference in readings?

snicko
19th September 2011, 05:45 PM
What are the exhaust gas temps of a standard 3LTD 2006 (non common rail) from the factory? Does anyone know?

Maxhead
19th September 2011, 06:27 PM
What are the exhaust gas temps of a standard 3LTD 2006 (non common rail) from the factory? Does anyone know?

I think that would depend where you are measuring it from. post or pre turbo and distance from turbo itself aswell
Also at what conditions? towing, idling,etc...

snicko
19th September 2011, 07:47 PM
I think that would depend where you are measuring it from. post or pre turbo and distance from turbo itself aswell
Also at what conditions? towing, idling,etc...

The workshop (not my mechanic) where I had the NADS done are telling me that 600 degrees is tops and on here its 500. I didn't get the gauges fitted before the 3" exhaust was fitted so don't know what standard temps are. Any conditions would be good.

the ferret
19th September 2011, 08:01 PM
Hi Snicko, As Tony would say, keep it max 500, the book might say 600, but you know what happens to the ZD30, they melt pistons.
In a stock standard truck with no pyro, and towing a van on a hot day, temps could be anywhere.
You should aim for a max of 500 deg.
You may need to make further adjustments and Tony is the best bloke to help with this.
He'll be bound ta be back on line soon.
If your's is auto, you may need an extra transmission oil cooler or even engine oil cooler.
Cheers Rod.

snicko
19th September 2011, 08:08 PM
Thanks for answering me.( Mine is a manual.) We are going away on Friday towing a camper so I hope all will be OK.

the ferret
19th September 2011, 08:23 PM
Thanks for answering me.( Mine is a manual.) We are going away on Friday towing a camper so I hope all will be OK.
With the camper you should be ok, just keep an eye on engine temp and EGT's, try and stay below 500, but it will creep up on hills.
You may need to use 4th a fair bit so the turbo isn't trying to create a whole heap of horsepower in 5th.
I wouldn't go over 600deg.
Ease off if high temps are prolonged and let us know how you get on.
Have a safe trip, cheers Rod.

Maxhead
19th September 2011, 08:27 PM
Hey Snicko, as Rod has said rule of thumb is keep it under 500 -550deg C.
All cars will vary but 550 is a good general "back off" point...lol

snicko
19th September 2011, 08:28 PM
Thanks Rod for the tips. (I generally don't tow in 5th gear)

I hope to have some pics to post when I get back.

Bagheera
20th September 2011, 09:50 AM
I have boost and pyro fitted, and haven't done the EGR block yet (waiting on needle valve and catch can arrival).

Under heavy load towing a ~1ton trailer up a long hill, boost was ~15PSI and EGT climbed to just over 1000deg F (~550deg C). This is the highest I have seen mine climb, but we're doing the Bridle Track this weekend, so I can report back on Sunday night if I see them get any higher.

Sir Roofy
20th September 2011, 10:05 AM
i have boost and pyro fitted, and haven't done the egr block yet (waiting on needle valve and catch can arrival).

Under heavy load towing a ~1ton trailer up a long hill, boost was ~15psi and egt climbed to just over 1000deg f (~550deg c). This is the highest i have seen mine climb, but we're doing the bridle track this weekend, so i can report back on sunday night if i see them get any higher.

will be inTeresed in your feed back thanks mate

Bagheera
25th September 2011, 10:36 PM
Well we spent 2 days getting dirty, and the highest I saw it climb was about 1020-1030deg F (550deg C), and that was a long muddy hill climb in 4H with 25PSI tyres and keeping the boot down hard in 2nd on the auto. I also got to a similar temp climbing back up the winding hill at the end of Bells Line of Road, again with the boot hard in, and sitting in 3rd (OD switch off) and 40PSI in the tyres.

During the tougher track sections it seemed to hover around 450-500deg C, but backing off a little saw it rapidly drop back 100deg C in less than 30 sec.

Hopefully I'll get the EGR plate, catch can and valves set up this week, and I can see how it goes pulling the camper trailer down to Kiama and back. Climbing up Mt Ousley (sp?) could be fun!

the ferret
26th September 2011, 12:21 AM
You may find your EGT's will climb once you fit the blanking plate to the EGR, but you have the guages to monitor the situation.
The temps you have reported are pretty consistent prior to the EGR block and in my opinion are normal.
Cheers, the ferret.

Leighw85
26th September 2011, 12:33 AM
whats is this NADS i keep reading about?
sounds like a little bit of a problem is not attended to?
does it need to be done?
sorry about all the questions but as i have just got myself a GU 3.0ltr im trying to find out as much info as possible

the ferret
26th September 2011, 12:53 AM
Easy peasy mate.
NADS: nissan anti detonation system.
The process of blocking the EGR, removing butterfly on the intercooler pipe, fitting a catch can, boost gauge, pyro (exhaust temp guage) and maybe a few other bits and pieces.
Because the ZD30 is prone to self destuct by way of melting pistons because of a design fault and other things, if you "do the nads" you will enjoy a very prolonged life of your ZD 30DI motor.
If your motor is pre 2004, I would be looking into doing the NADS fer sure.
There is a heap of info on the subject on this forum, just do a bit of a search and all will be revealed.
If you can't find it, just ask, there are a heap of like minded folk on here that would be happy to help you.
Cheers, the ferret

Leighw85
26th September 2011, 12:59 AM
thanks mate.
The old fella that traded my 4x4 in at the car yard has done alot of mods to it.
I have the boost gauge, no pyro YET.
but how can i tell if anything else has been done? im not to mechanically minded lol.
NADS sounds like a must do thing for my 2001 Patrol :)

the ferret
26th September 2011, 01:55 AM
Yeah, there are a few things you can do to get a good run out of your motor, first, check to see if the EGR has been blocked.
Tony "ynot" on here has posted a lot of very good info on the subject, as far as I'm concerned he is the guru and I have found no fault in his recommendations.
You need to block EGR, clean MAF sensor, inlet manifold, fit catch can, boost and pyro guages and in some cases a dawes needle valve or manual boost control.
It all sounds confusing and expensive, but by doing these mods, you can drive it hard and not have to worry about a $6000 rebuild any time soon.
As I said before, have a look around on the forum and you will find
a heap of info pertaining to the ZD 30 DI, aka "GRENADE" motor. other than that, post away mate.
Cheers, the ferret.

Leighw85
26th September 2011, 10:37 AM
As I sai mate, some thing might be done already when I got it. The bloke who had the car has done a fair bit of work.
How can I check to see I anything has been done? Or should I get a mechanic to look it over?

the ferret
26th September 2011, 10:47 AM
You could ask the bloke ya bought it off, and if unsure, yes take it to a good mechanic.
The EGR may have been blocked.
Robson Bros in Bentley is where I would take it as they do these mods.
cheers, ferret

Leighw85
26th September 2011, 12:41 PM
Yeah I got it from a car yard. But an old bloke had it, so I don't think I could find out mate. That place in Bentley sounds good. Might have to give them a buzz! Cheers

Leighw85
26th September 2011, 06:29 PM
Ok so i went to Robson Bros, and i do not have a Dawes valve for the EGR fitted. Is going to cost me about $340 to get one fitted.
also to get a Catch can fitted it will cost me about another $550 roughly.

apart from these 2 and the 2 gauges, is there anything else i should be looking at?

the bloke down there was very surprised to see my troll with the Gas Diesel Injection, any reason why?

cheers all :)

Bagheera
26th September 2011, 09:55 PM
You can buy the catch can for $185 + postage. All you will need is about $25 worth of pipe, reducers and hose clamps to fit it. $550 to supply & install seems a little high.

Dawes valve is ~$70-80 (I think) and again only a few dollars in tubing to fit. If you also need the EGR blanking plate fitted, and the adjustment to the turbo screw (forget the correct name) then $340 is probably reasonable.

A pyro or EGT (Exhaust Gas Temperature) gauge is essential as many feel that excessively high exhaust temps are the first sign of problems, and this allows you to keep an eye on them.

Leighw85
26th September 2011, 10:12 PM
cheers mate. I have no idea at all what im doing with mechanics hahaha i wish i could do it myself.

On the quote i got it says Dawes,EGR mod $334.50. As it says mod i wonder exactly what else they do? If it is the Blanking Plate and turbo screw.

Leighw85
28th September 2011, 12:54 AM
ok so i got a detailed email today about what the bloke is going to do.
Fits a dawes valve which controls the boost.
They said they preset the max boost to 12-13psi.
Insert a plate in the EGR pipe which restricts the flow of exhaust gases.

sound right peeps?

the ferret
28th September 2011, 02:10 AM
I would install a PYRO gauge as well, and NO hole in the EGR plate, fit a catch can while yer at it.
Cheers. ferret

Leighw85
28th September 2011, 12:28 PM
Yeah thanks bud. That's all on the list to get done aswell. I don't think I will get them to do my gauge as they say they prefer not to for some reason, and I think they tried to steer me away with the price they gave me. $250 to install a pryo.

How hard is it to do myself? Do I drill a hole in the exhaust and run the cable to the gauge, aswell as the ignition wire from the boost gauge already installed?

Im a little strap for $$$ at the moment after just buying my baby, so what should i be doing in order?
gauges before or after the mod and catch can?
Thanks all

philws
4th October 2011, 02:03 PM
Hey Sniko how has it been going? have you managed to get your EGTs down? ifso how did you do it? Cheers

snicko
4th October 2011, 02:27 PM
Hey Sniko how has it been going? have you managed to get your EGTs down? ifso how did you do it? Cheers

Have a report for here but I am at work at the moment so will post up where I am at with the temps etc tonight

snicko
6th October 2011, 10:27 AM
After doing the NADS we went on a camping trip for 10 days and the boost and temp readings behaved themselves but the fuel economy was terrible.

As we have a chip fitted I think its over fueling and my mechanic is new to all this so I need to take it to someone who can take the guess work out.

The only time we got the temp up (500 degrees) was punching directly into gale force winds going up a long steep hill.

Bit hard to see but the temp gauge reads 305 degrees with the boost at 13psi doing 105 kmh pulling a camper trailer in 4th gear. The temps ranged from 250-350 depending on the road conditions.

snicko
15th October 2011, 04:28 PM
UPDATE....

My mechanic had set the dawes valve out to max and the needle to 1/4 turn.
He seams to think it might be the chip that is over fueling so at the moment I am doing a 200km fuel test as is then do a 200km fuel test without the chip.
I have taken some more pics as the other ones did not have the needle valve fitted.
Also the catch can is now secured so I took a pic of it too.

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m481/snicko1/public/P1030708sizedx240x1.jpg

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m481/snicko1/public/P1030705sizedx240x1.jpg

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m481/snicko1/public/P1030695sizedx240x1.jpg

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m481/snicko1/public/P1030703sizedx240x1.jpg

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m481/snicko1/public/P1030699sizedx240x1.jpg

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m481/snicko1/public/P1030712sizedx240x1.jpg

snicko
13th December 2011, 01:00 PM
OK more updates!!
October
The fuel test came back = 10L per 100km (Troll was empty with 100km around town and 100km on the open road)
November
Went to the Vic meetup with rooftop tent on with plenty of gear in side. The four fills were 13, 12, 15 and 13km per 100km

snicko
13th December 2011, 02:45 PM
Just come back from spending some time in the big smoke and spending more money on the Troll. Hubby let me go by myself BIG MISTAKE!! hahaha
Met Chaz who took a look over my NADS and found the needle under the dash wasn't working.
Would work when checking individual hoses but when all put together didn't work!! What the???
So he ended up putting it under the bonnet and it works now! (Still need tweaking tho)
Chaz seems to think its either the wrong hose was used or the length is too long. (family forum now!!)
Got to have a ride in Chaz's Troll!! Now that's one awesome rig!

Also look at my latest investment!! Got the boys at Cross Country 4x4 to fit it.

TOOK OUR FROM UNDER THE DASH AND PUT UNDER THE BONNET
http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m481/snicko1/public/P1030996.jpg

ADJUSTMENT
http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m481/snicko1/public/P1030968.jpg

NICE NEW PRUDY SHINY BLING INTERCOOLER
http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m481/snicko1/public/P1030969.jpg

THE BLING FROM A DIFFERENT ANGLE!!
http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m481/snicko1/public/P1030970.jpg

snicko
13th December 2011, 02:49 PM
Roofy hope these pics OK??

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m481/snicko1/public/P1030965.jpg

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m481/snicko1/public/P1030967.jpg

growler2058
13th December 2011, 03:03 PM

You did it good/naughty girl ;-)

That is proper fancy mate

snicko
13th December 2011, 03:15 PM
You did it good/naughty girl ;-)

That is proper fancy mate

Hahahahahhahaha

That will teach hubby for letting me go alone!!
Been out and polished it already!! hahahaha

So when do you get your GU? You now know what to do with the NADS after watching/helping Chaz.

patch697
13th December 2011, 03:18 PM
Hahahahahhahaha

That will teach hubby for letting me go alone!!
Been out and polished it already!! hahahaha

It was the bling that got your attention in the first place wasn't it...........hahahahahahahaha

snicko
13th December 2011, 03:21 PM
It was the bling that got your attention in the first place wasn't it...........hahahahahahahaha

I'm a girl.....all bling is good!! hahahahahaha Now what does it do????

patch697
13th December 2011, 03:42 PM
I'm a girl.....all bling is good!! hahahahahaha Now what does it do????

Just keep polishing it & don't worry about the rest........................hahahahahahahahaha

Sir Roofy
13th December 2011, 06:18 PM
Thanks snicko your a champ,like the new bling,has it made any difference ???

belzi82
13th December 2011, 06:32 PM
Hey snicko, Was just wandering which hose that your boost was plugged into?? Looks like a different one to where mine is

snicko
13th December 2011, 08:09 PM
Thanks snicko your a champ,like the new bling,has it made any difference ???

Yes, something prudy to polish............oh sorry....do you mean does it make the Troll go any better...hahahaha....yes the temp behaved it self on the way home.
Our ultimate goal is to tow a van and this is where it will come into play.

snicko
13th December 2011, 08:12 PM
Hey snicko, Was just wandering which hose that your boost was plugged into?? Looks like a different one to where mine is

Which pic are you talking about Bel?

Chaz
13th December 2011, 08:41 PM
Hi snicko,

Very nice job on the cooler. It should certainly make a difference with van in tow. Your rig is shaping up to be one very capable (and good looking) unit that will hopefully go the distance.

Just need to do something about those Coopers……………….lol, sorry!

snicko
13th December 2011, 08:54 PM
Hi snicko,

Very nice job on the cooler. It should certainly make a difference with van in tow. Your rig is shaping up to be one very capable (and good looking) unit that will hopefully go the distance.

Just need to do something about those Coopers……………….lol, sorry!

Thanks Chaz.

As for the Coopers, tyres wear out and when I get what I want the Troll will be finished!! (Oh and I haven't convinced hubby yet either!! hahaha)

boots
13th December 2011, 10:21 PM
Hi snicko , must have missed this post about your mods . Thankyou , top pics and interesting. One thing that stood out to me was your provent install and the plumbing , looks as though your hoses are fitted wrong to me .should be ? top is inlet / bottom outlet , just double check ? there should be an arrow on the body for direction / flow .

snicko
13th December 2011, 10:27 PM
Hi snicko , must have missed this post about your mods . Thankyou , top pics and interesting. One thing that stood out to me was your provent install and the plumbing , looks as though your hoses are fitted wrong to me .should be ? top is inlet / bottom outlet , just double check ? there should be an arrow on the body for direction / flow .

Would it still work if the hoses were the wrong way. So far we have got 60ml out of it.

boots
13th December 2011, 10:42 PM
If its working for you , then all good I reckon . how is the filter looking ?

snicko
13th December 2011, 11:06 PM
If its working for you , then all good I reckon . how is the filter looking ?

Do you mean the air filter? Haven't actually looked so will have a look tomorrow.

Chaz
14th December 2011, 01:40 AM
Would it still work if the hoses were the wrong way. So far we have got 60ml out of it.

I just noticed that, well picked up Boots.
It will still filter the fumes before they go through the intake, but the pressure relief valves won't be working the correct way so you'll have no safety backup if the filter gets blocked or the system becomes restrictive.

boots
14th December 2011, 05:47 PM
sorry for the late reply snicko , the provent filter element is what I meant . sorry for the confusion .

snicko
21st December 2011, 05:18 PM

Thanks Boots for your pick up on the hoses and today I had them put around the correct way!!!
(I also have replaced the old pic with one showing the hoses the correct way!)

sorry for the late reply snicko , the provent filter element is what I meant . sorry for the confusion .

THIS IS THE FILTER.
http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m481/snicko1/public/P1030999.jpg

bastardo
12th January 2012, 11:14 PM
Great read on here SNICKO. At the moment I'm organizing all the treats for the patrol. Just gotta find a shop in Brisbane. Any one with a reccomendation ?
Thanks

snicko
12th January 2012, 11:50 PM
Great read on here SNICKO. At the moment I'm organizing all the treats for the patrol. Just gotta find a shop in Brisbane. Any one with a reccomendation ?
Thanks
Thanks
Took me ages to gather the info, get the bits and then get them fitted. When you start post up a thread of your progress as everyone has different experiences.
Look forward to reading yours.

Yendor
12th March 2012, 10:46 AM
Hi Snicko,

I was talking to two blokes on the weekend, both had cross country intercoolers fitted and both had problems with the metal plate that is fitted under the bonnet for the scoop, rubbing on the intercooler (back passenger side).

Might be worth checking yours.

Cheers Rodney

snicko
12th March 2012, 11:08 AM
Hi Snicko,

I was talking to two blokes on the weekend, both had cross country intercoolers fitted and both had problems with the metal plate that is fitted under the bonnet for the scoop, rubbing on the intercooler (back passenger side).

Might be worth checking yours.

Cheers Rodney

Thanks Yendor for thinking of me I will go out and check.

Did the guys say how many km they had done since the intercooler was fitted?

I read somewhere that with a bigger intercooler the scoop needs to be replaced and the suggestion was the one off the Holden Rodeo.

EDIT:
Just checked and yes mine has small rub marks in the same spot.

Looks like I will have to do some more research into a bigger scoop.

Thanks Yendor for the heads up .

Yendor
12th March 2012, 06:06 PM
Sorry I don't know how many Ks they have done since being installed.

I know one has only just been installed and it didn't take very long for it to wear a flat spot in the intercooler.

They both run standard scoops.

One guy removed the plate altogether and the second guy glued a strip of rubber/foam along the edge of the intercooler.

Lets un know how you go.

Cheers Rodney

Forest1970
10th September 2012, 11:29 PM
Hi all, just new here, where will i find some installation info here for NADS, I have a 2006 GU (Does this make it a series 4 ?), Direct Injection, Auto trans & pretty much stock at the moment, and does my model still need/benefit having these mods done.
Thanks in advance for any info..

mudski
11th September 2012, 09:54 AM
Hi all, just new here, where will i find some installation info here for NADS, I have a 2006 GU (Does this make it a series 4 ?), Direct Injection, Auto trans & pretty much stock at the moment, and does my model still need/benefit having these mods done.
Thanks in advance for any info..

If its the 3ltr then yes you need to NAD up.
What you will need :
* Dawes : From the US or me, I'm a bit dearer but its a lot quicker
* Needle Valve : Dependable disty's in Adelaide
* Provent 200 catch can : Ebay The $170 priced one.
* EGR Plate : The Ferret does'em
* Pyro bung : Zorst shop
* assorted hose and fittings : Hose shop
* Boost and EGT guage (this needs to be fitted before anything) : Anywhere you fancy

Drew
11th September 2012, 10:38 AM
Any updates on your travels with finding a bigger scoop snicko ?

threedogs
11th September 2012, 12:32 PM
Just recently fitted NADS to my 4x4 with Forum help {thanks} You'll find your EGTs will go down if you increase boost.
Max around 18 psi, Boost controls the EGT. If you can't acheive enough boost you may have to stretch spring to up
the boost.

Winnie
11th September 2012, 12:38 PM
That looks like it would suck the crotch out of a low flying duck!

threedogs
11th September 2012, 12:43 PM
Yeah can really feel the difference, just upset my intercooler not leaking yet, would like to feel what happens with the larger IC.
Pricey but well worth it IMO. 4x4 was a slug [normal] when I took it off to be sprayed, LOL
WRX scoop look ok too, you might find the modded 4x4s get heat block, as the heat can't escape from the engine bay
Chances are if you have a GU with a bullbar the scoop doesn't work.
see the front vane inside large scoop.

Pass the duck I'll give it a go lol

Is this one of those 5 in 1 threads you hear about??

Sir Roofy
11th September 2012, 01:11 PM
That looks like it would suck the crotch out of a low flying duck!

be great if ya had twin ic,s on

Drew
11th September 2012, 03:25 PM
be great if ya had twin ic,s on
Not if you're the duck...or flock in that case :)

I think I missed it, which scoop is that ?

threedogs
11th September 2012, 03:31 PM
go back 6-7 posts

mudski
11th September 2012, 03:52 PM
I think he's referring to. Where did you get that scoop? As I'm keen to know aswell. Something i need to do before summer hits. That and a thermo fan for it.

threedogs
11th September 2012, 06:51 PM
Been thinking of a thermo fan, asked the question here before and most were of the opinion
not really worth it. MUDSKI I'll PM where to get the scoop not far from you.

A fair bit of work has gone into these scoops, they are designed by a Turbo freak.
The internal vanes direct air to the front of the IC, where as an OE scoop all air goes to the rear of IC.
Meaning this IC will work at a lower speed possibly around the 60kph mark, where an OE
does nothing till 80KPH.

bullbars redirect the air, ever seen a moth or similar go into the IC ??????

This same person, turns your vacuum turbo into a pressure system there for eliminating
Dawes and needle valve, boost and EGT guage still required

Drew
11th September 2012, 08:33 PM
Psst pm me too pls :)

mudski
11th September 2012, 10:52 PM
Been thinking of a thermo fan, asked the question here before and most were of the opinion
not really worth it. MUDSKI I'll PM where to get the scoop not far from you.

A fair bit of work has gone into these scoops, they are designed by a Turbo freak.
The internal vanes direct air to the front of the IC, where as an OE scoop all air goes to the rear of IC.
Meaning this IC will work at a lower speed possibly around the 60kph mark, where an OE
does nothing till 80KPH.

bullbars redirect the air, ever seen a moth or similar go into the IC ??????

This same person, turns your vacuum turbo into a pressure system there for eliminating
Dawes and needle valve, boost and EGT guage still required

Thanks for the info mate. I think for the price of a thermo fan, it wont hurt to try one. As for converting the Turbo from vacuum to pressure. I heard thats quite expensive and using a dawes and needle valve seems to work well anyway...

Bagheera
12th September 2012, 09:27 AM
I'd be interested in where to get that scoop as well.

Forest1970
12th September 2012, 10:43 PM
Thanks Mudski, I get most of what you've written but whats Dependable disty's in Adelaide, and do you have a website or something to check out your Dawes Valves for sale, thanks heaps for your advice., Also is there somewhere on the forum that shows from A-Z the fitting of all these things? The post from Snicko is pretty good, just wondering if there were any others? Thanks again
If its the 3ltr then yes you need to NAD up.
What you will need :
* Dawes : From the US or me, I'm a bit dearer but its a lot quicker
* Needle Valve : Dependable disty's in Adelaide
* Provent 200 catch can : Ebay The $170 priced one.
* EGR Plate : The Ferret does'em
* Pyro bung : Zorst shop
* assorted hose and fittings : Hose shop
* Boost and EGT guage (this needs to be fitted before anything) : Anywhere you fancy

mudski
13th September 2012, 06:48 PM
Thanks Mudski, I get most of what you've written but whats Dependable disty's in Adelaide, and do you have a website or something to check out your Dawes Valves for sale, thanks heaps for your advice., Also is there somewhere on the forum that shows from A-Z the fitting of all these things? The post from Snicko is pretty good, just wondering if there were any others? Thanks again

Sorry. Dependable Distributors they are called. Disty for short. The Dawes valve I do sell myself but I have ran out. I sold 10 in 9 days, quicker than i thought. Five on Ebay and five through word of mouth. I have more coming but it wont be for atleast a week or two I reckon. I am dearer than getting it from the states but when I had them, you would get it much quicker that waiting for it to come from the US. I'm in the process of a fully adjustable Dawes type valve which has a screw cap on it to adjust it, rather than using two spanners...
Which fittings are you referring too? The fittings for the Catch can? Or everything? What model Troll do you have aswell? I'm happy to help you out where I can.
Food for thought, the gauge I have is from McNally Electronics. Its an electronic boost gauge with with a digital EGT read out on the same gauge. Sits nicely right in between the speedo and tacho.
http://www.mcnallyelectronics.com/

Derrr! Don't mind me. been a hard day at work today. The fittings you asked about, you want to know how to fit it all.
First thing to do is get the gauge and installed. As you need to see whats going on when you fit everything else. Getting the pyro fitting in the dump pipe is the biggest pain for the whole job as you need to remove this pipe, so this means having the truck off the road whilst you get this done.
Then you continue with the rest...

threedogs
13th September 2012, 07:17 PM
X 2 with Mudski, choose what gauges you're going fit be it Mc Nally or Pillar pod style. No point doing any other mod till this is done.

You need to see whats happening as you do mods and can adjust as required as you go along

Forest1970
16th September 2012, 06:38 PM
Thanks for the info, is there a step by step thread here at all?

snicko
17th September 2012, 06:27 PM
Any updates on your travels with finding a bigger scoop snicko ?

Thanks for asking but not yet. When I do I will post it up here.
The poor troll has taken a back seat at the moment. Hubby said I have spent enough on it!!

threedogs
17th September 2012, 06:42 PM
have you had a chance to ring that shop yet???

mudski
21st September 2012, 03:01 PM
I will blame YOU threedogs if i get into severe shite from the missus when she see's the new scoop on my car. Whats your number so she can ring you and give you a serve?
Yes I went to Guest's 4x4 and couldn't resist.
*shakes fist* DAMN YOU THREEDOGS!!!!

The poor troll has taken a back seat at the moment. Hubby said I have spent enough on it!!

Haha! Its usually the other way around...

Royce
21st March 2013, 10:04 PM
Just come back from spending some time in the big smoke and spending more money on the Troll. Hubby let me go by myself BIG MISTAKE!! hahaha
Met Chaz who took a look over my NADS and found the needle under the dash wasn't working.
Would work when checking individual hoses but when all put together didn't work!! What the???
So he ended up putting it under the bonnet and it works now! (Still need tweaking tho)
Chaz seems to think its either the wrong hose was used or the length is too long. (family forum now!!)
Got to have a ride in Chaz's Troll!! Now that's one awesome rig!

Also look at my latest investment!! Got the boys at Cross Country 4x4 to fit it.

TOOK OUR FROM UNDER THE DASH AND PUT UNDER THE BONNET
http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m481/snicko1/public/P1030996.jpg

ADJUSTMENT
http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m481/snicko1/public/P1030968.jpg

NICE NEW PRUDY SHINY BLING INTERCOOLER
http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m481/snicko1/public/P1030969.jpg

How much was the new Intercooler? does this model have a fan fitted?

Brisat
21st March 2013, 11:23 PM
You'll have to drive round without the bonnet so everybody can go ooh! looky dat thing

AJTich
19th October 2013, 11:43 PM
Macca, That sounds like the rates for the prices for answers to questions, my usual is the free answers without thinking...or the $100 for stupid questions...

ThomasWatson
12th January 2014, 11:30 PM
your not local to sydney are u patch i need these things done too.