PDA

View Full Version : I can't find it

DX grunt
9th August 2011, 09:10 AM
Sorry guys, but I gotta ask the same question again, because I can't find the thread with the answer! lol

After several days of non driving, my batteries go flat.

I think we talked about the auto on/off headlight switch/relay possibly being the problem.

Any solutions?

Thanks.

Rossco

Bob
9th August 2011, 09:16 AM
Is this the Thread

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?5155-ignition-and-flat-battery-trouble&highlight=relay

DX grunt
9th August 2011, 09:21 AM
Is this the Thread

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?5155-ignition-and-flat-battery-trouble&highlight=relay

Thanks Bob, but no.

There's a power leak somewhere. I just gotta find it. lol

patch697
9th August 2011, 09:33 AM
You sure your batts not on its way out Rossco?

DX grunt
9th August 2011, 09:42 AM
You sure your batts not on its way out Rossco?

The cranker has just had it's 2nd birthday.

Kelvin or somebody else who's had an ex Telstra told me what to look out for, but I've forgotten! Doh.

snicko
9th August 2011, 09:46 AM
Hi DX I had a similar problem and it turned out to be one dead battery and the other on the way out. Fitted two new ones and all is now good.

DX grunt
9th August 2011, 09:52 AM
Hi DX I had a similar problem and it turned out to be one dead battery and the other on the way out. Fitted two new ones and all is now good.

Just put the mm on both batteries, and they're both showing 12.3V

snicko
9th August 2011, 09:59 AM
My mechanic said he tested my batteries under a load test. Not sure if that is the same as a mm. We had problems for a while and I was surprised that the one dodgy one could throw up so many symptoms.

DX grunt
9th August 2011, 10:09 AM
My mechanic said he tested my batteries under a load test. Not sure if that is the same as a mm. We had problems for a while and I was surprised that the one dodgy one could throw up so many symptoms.

It's going to the auto leckies tomorrow to get sorted, but time is money, so I'd like to go there confident and come across as knowing what I'm talking about! lol

I've had the truck now for nearly 2 years and only replaced one battery, so you may well be correct. I got it from a car yard, and well....... you can guess the rest. lol

My spare is a cranker as well, so it may be appropriate to upgrade to accommodate my accessories and solar panels.

Thanks.

HippoNZ
9th August 2011, 11:18 AM
I had a faulty diode on my alternator that wasnt connected properly, you can replace these I beleive. It amazingly will drain your battieries over night to the point your rig will only just start. Happened to me even on brand new battieries, draws just over 1 amp every something I forget lol I also had a shagged alternator anyway so ended up replacing the whole unit.

YNOT
9th August 2011, 02:26 PM
I had a faulty diode on my alternator that wasnt connected properly, you can replace these I beleive. It amazingly will drain your battieries over night to the point your rig will only just start. Happened to me even on brand new battieries, draws just over 1 amp every something I forget lol I also had a shagged alternator anyway so ended up replacing the whole unit.

This is a common fault.

Tony

Woof
9th August 2011, 06:09 PM
I'd like to go there confident and come across as knowing what I'm talking about! lol

Any chance of a video of that Ross ?????
I go to mechanics and auto sparky's thinking that I know what I am talking about but immediately after say they say Hi, how are you, it's all down hill from there.....lololol

growler2058
9th August 2011, 06:50 PM
Maybe wear looser shorts mate an then you'll be able to find it hahhahahahahahahahahaha

big_fletch
9th August 2011, 07:46 PM
Best bet Ross is to shoot down at a Auto-Sparky, they will do a load test on the battery and see if its any good.. They can also do a current draw test and see if something in the vehicle is sucking power when everything is off.. One of those will tell you pretty quickly what the problem is.. Let us know how you go Rossco

Fletcha

DX grunt
10th August 2011, 03:48 PM
Best bet Ross is to shoot down at a Auto-Sparky, they will do a load test on the battery and see if its any good.. They can also do a current draw test and see if something in the vehicle is sucking power when everything is off.. One of those will tell you pretty quickly what the problem is.. Let us know how you go Rossco

Fletcha

For the price of a new battery, I'll tell you what the problem was. lol

Put the new battery in as the cranker and the 'old' cranker as the 2nd battery. This will be replaced when I get my solar, set up

Thanks everybody.

Take care out there.

Rossco