PDA

View Full Version : 4.2 dipstick oil level

buzz
8th August 2011, 09:38 PM
hey guys, when i change oil and filters, the level on the dipstick reads about an inch or so above the top of the cut out section. i add 10.5L as per everything I've ever read. i use dello 400 and have never made it to 5000km before changing yet. engine is an 05' GU 4.2L TD with 96000km on the clock. is it full of sludge and in need of a flush or is something else going on here? any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Jamie

growler2058
8th August 2011, 09:50 PM
Does the level drop after it's been run mate ie the oil filters fill up

Bigrig
8th August 2011, 09:50 PM
On the part about the stick reading high with the right volume put in, it could be the wring dipstick length. That is, your dipstick is too long and subsequently reads as though it's too full.

Others will be along to offer comment mate.

YNOT
8th August 2011, 09:53 PM
Don't fill by volume, that's only a guide based on a completely dry engine. When you do an oil change there will always be some oil trapped in the cylinder head and oil galleries. Always fill by the dipstick.

Tony

buzz
8th August 2011, 10:14 PM
Level drops a little, its been 3800km since last change and its sitting on the bottom '0' in a serial number stamped on the stick.

Possibly the wrong dipstick, will look into it, hopefully that serial number is a part number.

If i was to fill by the dipstick YNOT, at what point do i say "naaah, thats not enough"

thanks for the clues fellas.
jamie

YNOT
8th August 2011, 10:25 PM
Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question?

If you are worried about sludge build up in your engine (at 96,000km there shouldn't be any) take the rocker cover off and have a look. You could also get an oil sample done.

When you are doing an oil change drain the oil, replace the filters and refill the oil to the full mark on the dip stick. Start the engine and let it run for 10 to 15 seconds to get full oil pressure up and fill the oil filters. Top up the oil to the full mark on the dipstick again.
Tony

buzz
8th August 2011, 10:39 PM
i will try doing it like that on the weekend mate. in the past i have always drained the oil, swap the filters, do something else for half an hour or so, replace sump plug then smack exactly 10.5L of blood in it. doing the change on Sunday so I'll be a little more methodical and report back.

jamie

Silver
8th August 2011, 10:58 PM
make sure that the cup thing on the dip stick that covers the dip stick tube has not slipped up the dipstick past the peened over areas, or whatever Mr Nissan used to keep it in place?

big datto
9th August 2011, 08:05 PM
oh and make sure the engines warm give her a good blast out the road to warm her up and then drop the blood out if cold hailf hour barely long enough i reckon cheers bud.

buzz
21st August 2011, 12:44 PM
results are in. i just finished changing oil and filters. i took all the advice above, drove the left front onto a rock, about 150mm off the ground, dropped running temp oil and let drain about 2 hours. replaced fleetguard LF3314's with newies. rolled off the rock before filling with dello 400. added 5 litres then checked dipstick level-no reading, added another 4 litres-read at the full mark(top of cutout section). ran engine for 5 minutes then let it sit for 15 or so. on checking the level after filling the filters it was reading at the bottom of the cut out section. gradually added another 1.3litres to get to the top of cut out section. so now i really have no idea what has been happening every other change with the high level reading with 10.5L. all i can put it down to is the wheel on a rock to direct more old oil out of the sump and the longer drain time. but anyways, it all looks good so thank you all for the advice and tips. just another thing tho, should i have filled it to the top of the cut out section on the dipstick?

jamie