PDA

View Full Version : GQ steering problem

shankzy
8th August 2011, 08:33 AM
hey guys,
recently i have just been given a GQ from one of my mates due to him upgrading, i have done alot of work to it to try and bring it back to life a bit, i have this huge problem with steering once it gets up to 70 km the steering starts toshake like it needs an alignment.. sometimes its really bad to the point where it feels like the wheels are going to fall off..

As i said earlier i have done alot of work to it, i have done all the bearings, diffs + locks, done a wheel alignment, taken the steering out and still cant seem to find it, saying that i went out for a sesh on the weekend out at Walhulla and things got a bit hairy and it seems to be a bit better and not doing it as much...

any ideas or usual problems any1 can pin point it too????

Bob
8th August 2011, 09:10 AM
Morning Mate. How about dropping over to the Introduction Thread and telling us a little bit about yourself. It is just a courteous thing. No harm done.
I am sure that someone will be able to answer your question

Bigrig
8th August 2011, 09:44 AM
Hey mate

As said, pop over to the introductions section and let us know a bit about yourself and your rig.

Have you checked all the bushes/rubbers in the front end? Steering arm, panhard, casters, etc? Also, does the rig have large offset rims with large tyres? Could be an Ackerman angle issue causing the wheels to get up a wobble at speed.

Alternatively, is it a definite front end vibration, or could it be your tailshaft needs balancing? That would be more so a shudder/harmonic vibration through the whole truck.

Welcome aboard, but please head over to the intro section and let us all know who we're yakking with mate!!

YNOT
8th August 2011, 11:52 AM
If it's a really violent shake that usually starts after hitting a bump it will be front panhard rod bushes.

Tony

TuffTD42
8th August 2011, 03:20 PM
As mentioned it can be a number of things. I got the same shake that you have described. I would get to 60 kph & holy**** I couldn't hang onto the wheel. stopped then drove off same thing again. I stopped had a look & nothing obvious so started off again. this time nothing it drove great. Went over to a mates w/shop & got him to wobble the steering wheel while I had a look. In my case the ball joint was stuffed on the draglink on the pitman arm side. Everything had been replaced in the front end of mine just prior to this. What I found is that mine binds the ball joint out on extreme flex situations in the front end due to the 6" lift which resulted with the stuffed joint & led to the wobble.

You just have to check everything in the front end, ball joints,bush's,wheel bearings,king pin bearings etc as anyone of those gets stuffed or worn it can have the same effect. Let us know what you come up with when you find the prob cheers Jono.

shankzy
9th August 2011, 07:25 AM
thanks for all the advice fellas, i decided i had enough last night. i jacked it up last night and took everything apart, i found the bearings were loose again, i tried to find the reason why they came loose but all i can put it down to was me not tightening them enough, i managed to get them done and pack new grease into them and it seemed to be fine... i was a little bit nervous i think when i done them the 1st time not too do them up too tight as i didnt want to stuff the bearings and musnt have done them up tight enough...

Bigrig
9th August 2011, 07:38 AM
thanks for all the advice fellas, i decided i had enough last night. i jacked it up last night and took everything apart, i found the bearings were loose again, i tried to find the reason why they came loose but all i can put it down to was me not tightening them enough, i managed to get them done and pack new grease into them and it seemed to be fine... i was a little bit nervous i think when i done them the 1st time not too do them up too tight as i didnt want to stuff the bearings and musnt have done them up tight enough...

Good gear mate - at least it's something you could do without cost!