PDA

View Full Version : woops..big bog hole..way to fast..bye bye alternator.

Geoffy91
7th August 2011, 11:04 PM
gday fellas,
took out the new rig for my first real 4b sess out wombat state forest, few hours in started getting some big bogholes, went through one to fast, im new to this so i didnt know speeds..ive learned, engine, battery and low oil lights came on, few secs later lights faded out and volts drops hard, lights still work when you put ignition on, but my query is, why doesnt the battery light come on when the cars running?

Luckily its a td42 so i got jump started this morning when we left camp so i didnt need power to drive home, when i indicate or brake my dash gauges move rapidly, put that down to flat battery, by the time i got home i was sittin on 6volts,

anyone else have this issue? Or a way to stop it? I reckon ive done my battery too,
is the dash going crazy normal?

Any help is appreciated.
Least i got through the bog hole haha, over the bonnet water and all.

patch697
8th August 2011, 12:31 AM
How mechanical are you mate???

I'd say your alterator isn't charging by the sounds of things but why???? Well that could be a number of things....

Start by checking for any loos wires & plug connections (ie: for water & make sure theirs no loose connections) then check the alternator voltage at the positive pole on the back of the alternator. ( with engine running & revs at around 1500 you should be getting 14.2 volts)

Theirs a start for you anyways.

YNOT
8th August 2011, 05:28 AM
gday fellas,
took out the new rig for my first real 4b sess out wombat state forest, few hours in started getting some big bogholes, went through one to fast, im new to this so i didnt know speeds..ive learned, engine, battery and low oil lights came on, few secs later lights faded out and volts drops hard, lights still work when you put ignition on, but my query is, why doesnt the battery light come on when the cars running?

Luckily its a td42 so i got jump started this morning when we left camp so i didnt need power to drive home, when i indicate or brake my dash gauges move rapidly, put that down to flat battery, by the time i got home i was sittin on 6volts,

anyone else have this issue? Or a way to stop it? I reckon ive done my battery too,
is the dash going crazy normal?

Any help is appreciated.
Least i got through the bog hole haha, over the bonnet water and all.

This sounds more like loose or poor connection at the battery terminal. If you've had no previous starting issues then even with a dead alternator you should be able to drive for several hours before your battery voltage drops low enough for your lights to visibly fade.

Tony

Geoffy91
9th August 2011, 09:28 AM
im pretty mechanical, i had my spotties on as it was at night so that woulda drained it, and i think the battery was on its way out...plus its on a dam commodore battery,
just brought a new battery 760cca n70zz, and alternator, going to fit tonight hopefully

MudRunnerTD
14th August 2011, 10:32 AM
im pretty mechanical, i had my spotties on as it was at night so that woulda drained it, and i think the battery was on its way out...plus its on a dam commodore battery,
just brought a new battery 760cca n70zz, and alternator, going to fit tonight hopefully

the Alternator on a TD42 Does Not Like Mud! All of your indicators re the dash lights etc are conducive to your Alternator getting a guts full of mud. Really really kills them. YOu may find that your speed in was irrelevant. Rule no1 Bog Holes cost MONEY! generally Alternators and Aircon compressors on a TD42. Then Starter motors and water pumps and viscous fans.

But your battery drain fast is likely as others have said poor connection. Take off your positive terminal block from your battery. Mine looks perfect last time this same thing happened to me and i went away for the weekend getting jumped everywhere. When i took the terminal off it was bloody hollow and there was basically no connection. replaces the block and good as gold.

I note that you just bought a new alternator?? How much? where From? Is it a standard Nissan one?

I ask because it will only be a 70amp one if it is and they are very very dear!!! If you have to flash the cash you may as well go an upgrade and get a 100amp or even a 120amp if you can get it for the right price. ebay is your friend.

Although bugger it there is only one Hi Output one there at the moment and they was an arm and a leg for it. I just picked one up from the same seller in an auction for half that. If your in need then grab what you can.

Good luck and welcome to the world of Bog Holes. Bog Holes Cost MONEY!!