PDA

View Full Version : Castor Correction

Airstrike
7th August 2011, 10:20 PM
Has anyone put these in themselves is there any traps to look out for? or anything I need to do before, during or after?

Im in a last minute mechanic mood for this weekend coming up.

cheers

YNOT
7th August 2011, 10:21 PM
What form will the castor correction be in, offset bushes, drop arms, drop boxes, castor plates etc?

Tony

Airstrike
7th August 2011, 10:25 PM
Oh very sorry in the drop arms. Im all over the road and today it almost killed me on the way out to Gatton

YNOT
7th August 2011, 10:34 PM
If the bushes are already in the new arms then the job is a lot easier, no need for a press.

If you are going to fit them on the ground I always remove the front springs first for safety, there is a lot of energy stored in a coil spring. Once the springs are out it's all just nuts and bolts. R/H end of the tie rod will need to be popped out to fit the arms.

You will need a decent set of chassis stands to support the front of the vehicle, I have a pair if you need to borrow them.

Tony

Airstrike
7th August 2011, 10:38 PM
Thank Tony thats a very details description. At "remove Springs" I made my mind up to find a mechanic LOL cheers mate. Im not mechanically minded an if the springs need to come out I will blow it no doubt.

Ryan

Bigrig
7th August 2011, 10:38 PM
If the bushes are already in the new arms then the job is a lot easier, no need for a press.

If you are going to fit them on the ground I always remove the front springs first for safety, there is a lot of energy stored in a coil spring. Once the springs are out it's all just nuts and bolts. R/H end of the tie rod will need to be popped out to fit the arms.

You will need a decent set of chassis stands to support the front of the vehicle, I have a pair if you need to borrow them.

Tony

Crikey - it's a fair job Ryan ... I can help a bit tomorrow if you want - only day I've got this week with any spare time ... I've got heavy stands and a trolley jack also if needed.

Airstrike
7th August 2011, 10:39 PM
Crikey - it's a fair job Ryan ... I can help a bit tomorrow if you want - only day I've got this week with any spare time ... I've got heavy stands and a trolley jack also if needed.

LOL cheers mate I didnt know it was that big of a job. Just almost killed today if it wasnt fo the awesom driving of the passing truck he would have ran over me

Bigrig
7th August 2011, 10:42 PM
LOL cheers mate I didnt know it was that big of a job. Just almost killed today if it wasnt fo the awesom driving of the passing truck he would have ran over me

Do you have the new bushes in the drop arms?

Tony

Following a similar pattern to what we did last week, you reckon I'd be right with it? I'm reasonably confident and his springs are 3" (shorter than my old ones) so should be able to get them out and back in without compressors ..

YNOT
7th August 2011, 10:46 PM
You should be right Scott you know what to do and have my number if you're not sure about anything.

Tony

Bigrig
7th August 2011, 10:47 PM
You should be right Scott you know what to do and have my number if you're not sure about anything.

Tony

Thanks mate

Ryan

You want to do it tomorrow??? Around late morning/midday???

Airstrike
7th August 2011, 10:49 PM
I'm scared.... LOL yeah sounds good thank you for the offer. I have to pick them up in the morning. What do you think Rubber or Nylon? he said I need a marker as well as they sit in a certain way?? dont know.

Bigrig
7th August 2011, 10:54 PM
I'm scared.... LOL yeah sounds good thank you for the offer. I have to pick them up in the morning. What do you think Rubber or Nylon? he said I need a marker as well as they sit in a certain way?? dont know.

Rubber, but Tony would have better thoughts on this - also Tony, how to press them in? Again, pretty confident if it's straight forward, but don't want to damage them ...

Ryan

You want to come here and do it in the garage so I have all the tools accessible etc? Just have to load up the stands, trolley jack etc otherwise.

YNOT
7th August 2011, 10:54 PM
Rubber is better, genuine Nissan is best, more flex. You will need a press to get the bushes in.
I have the tools but need to use the press at work (Meadowbrook).

Tony

Airstrike
7th August 2011, 11:02 PM
sorry its Urethane bushes. They come at 3.5 degree the rubber are only 2.

Bigrig
7th August 2011, 11:06 PM
Tony

Are you able to do them in the morning though if Ryan can cone down?

Ryan

If Tony can do them in the morning, can you get down there in the morning?

I'll leave it up to you - let me know what's the go and I'll help as said.

Airstrike
7th August 2011, 11:09 PM
Sorry mate I am confussed. as its the only vehicle I will have tomorrow. do I take the arms or the car as I dont know how to remove the arms.... I prob didnt understand it right sorry

Bigrig
7th August 2011, 11:11 PM
Sorry mate I am confussed. as its the only vehicle I will have tomorrow. do I take the arms or the car as I dont know how to remove the arms.... I prob didnt understand it right sorry

You'll need to take the arms and the bushes down with Tony to press the casters in (if Tony has time). Then bring them back to my joint and we'll swap the old arms out, new arms in ...

Airstrike
7th August 2011, 11:12 PM
Oh do I need to replace the rms as well the guy didnt tell me that...... (*&%$

Bigrig
7th August 2011, 11:18 PM
Sorry mate - let's step back ... so you are keeping your radius arms and getting 3 degree (or similar) caster correction bushes only? Not getting a new set of drop arms as per your second or third post?

If youre getting the casters only, then yes, we're screwed! lol ... if new arms and casters, then we can follow "plan F" if both you and Tony can accomodate tomorrow.

Airstrike
7th August 2011, 11:23 PM
Ok my bad.... very embarrassed I confused them for the same thing. I am sorry I need to put castors in the radius arms.

Bigrig
7th August 2011, 11:29 PM
Ok my bad.... very embarrassed I confused them for the same thing. I am sorry I need to put castors in the radius arms.

Righto - Have you bought the casters yet? What degree of correction (assuming 3 as you have 3 inch lift)?

Tony may still have a set of 3 degree casters that he might be willing to part with for a fee?

Tony? What say you mate?

Airstrike
7th August 2011, 11:30 PM
Yep the ones I am looking at getting are 3.5 I think but I have a 3 inch lift.

YNOT
7th August 2011, 11:31 PM
I have Scott's old radius arms with offset bushes already fitted, do you want to just swap arms?

I should be in the workshop most of the day, definately in the morning.

Tony

Airstrike
7th August 2011, 11:33 PM
OK how much for the change and parts? thank you for the offer as well. That would make life easier

Bigrig
7th August 2011, 11:36 PM
Yep the ones I am looking at getting are 3.5 I think but I have a 3 inch lift.

I'll give you a call in the morning - Tony may have hit the hay, but the arms and 3 degree casters that were in mine are now at Tony's as he pressed new casters for the new setup into a set of arms he had spare, which are now in mine, and my old arms are with Tony presumably with the 3 degree casters still in them - if so, and Tony wants to sell the casters, then you could organise to pick up the full arms with casters, bring it to my joint, swap them over, and return your old arms and casters to Tony?

Lot of maybe's and easier to discuss on the phone!

Bigrig
7th August 2011, 11:37 PM
I have Scott's old radius arms with offset bushes already fitted, do you want to just swap arms?

I should be in the workshop most of the day, definately in the morning.

Tony

There you go ... sorry Tony, wasn't sure if you were still on and if you wanted to do it that way ..

Ryan

Makes it heaps easier that way!!! Now I'm confident again!!!! lol

Airstrike
7th August 2011, 11:38 PM
ok Im up with Tay at 6 so easy from then on.

YNOT
7th August 2011, 11:38 PM
The arms owe me nothing, all I ask for is your old arms back.
I can take the radius arms into work tomorrow and Scott can pick them up from there on his way through.

Tony

Bigrig
7th August 2011, 11:41 PM
The arms owe me nothing, all I ask for is your old arms back.
I can take the radius arms into work tomorrow and Scott can pick them up from there on his way through.

Tony

Thanks mate - might get Ryan to come pick them up as I'm out through the morning ... Can he drop the old arms and bushes back to you at Scenic??

YNOT
7th August 2011, 11:43 PM
Thanks mate - might get Ryan to come pick them up as I'm out through the morning ... Can he drop the old arms and bushes back to you at Scenic??

That's fine mate.

Tony

Airstrike
7th August 2011, 11:45 PM
Hi scott can you please text me the place to make the pick up. Do I go to the other place the get the bushes first? Just need to plan.

Bigrig
7th August 2011, 11:45 PM
That's fine mate.

Tony

Bootiful

Ryan

You still there big man?? What say you??

Bigrig
7th August 2011, 11:47 PM
Hi scott can you please text me the place to make the pick up. Do I go to the other place the get the bushes first? Just need to plan.

Tony will need to send you his work address - I've not been there. You'll be picking up full radius arms with 3 degree casters already in them ... bring them to my joint and we'll get cracking ...

YNOT
7th August 2011, 11:48 PM

PM sent with address.

No need to get bushes, just fit Scotty's old arms as they are with offset bushes already fitted.

Tony

Bigrig
7th August 2011, 11:51 PM
PM sent with address.

No need to get bushes, just fit Scotty's old arms as they are with offset bushes already fitted.

Tony

I.e. Don't buy any bushes!!!! lol.

I'll get some split pins in the morning on the way home (need some anyway), and everything else I should have ...

Airstrike
7th August 2011, 11:53 PM
I know I already feel dumb lol. I sincerley thank you Tony

Bigrig
7th August 2011, 11:54 PM
I know I already feel dumb lol. I sincerley thank you Tony

Don't feel dumb mate - the only reason I have a clue is because we just did mine last week!!! She'll be right and let me know what time you reckon you'll be here - I'm good anytime after about half ten.

Airstrike
7th August 2011, 11:55 PM
Sweet I shall text you.

Bigrig
7th August 2011, 11:57 PM
Sweet I shall text you.

Done - earlier the better, it takes a while ...