PDA

View Full Version : How to install Pyro and Boost gauges to a GQ

AB
7th August 2011, 07:44 PM
I am by no means an electronic person so feel free to put me back in place if I did anything wrong...lol

I needed to put Pyro and Boost gauges into my GQ for my GU TD42T turbo install (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?4973-Fitting-a-genuine-Nissan-turbo-to-a-N-A-TD42) and thought I would start a new DIY thread about the gauges.

I will add more to this post as I only got time to just put the boost gauge in...

Boost gauge install...

I decided to install the boost gauge in the clock console as It's a nice and neat fit. The pyro will be installed up at the drivers side far right dash (useless coin/card holder area...Pics to come).

Take the centre dash area out. This is a simple procedure and there are only 9 screw. 2 each side of the centre dash down the bottom, 2 at the top of each centre air vents and one on the left hand side of the ash tray console.

Take the dash surround out and unscrew the clock and remove.

Cut the 4 wires that go into the clock. It looks like Nissan use a pink wire for the positive and a black wire for the negative. Similar coloured wires on other areas that Iv'e noticed too. You could also do this on the ash tray light or the ciggy lighter light too but as I was removing the clock anyway this was ideal.

There is also a blue and red wire for the clock that I tapped off as per photo below...
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/08/66.jpg

As per photo below, the hole is a whisker too small for the standard gauge to fit so you need to get a file and shave off a mm or two...

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/08/67.jpg

Photo below shows the gauge installed with the wires connected to the pink and black factory wires originally going into the clock.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/08/68.jpg

Finished....Easy 10 minute job.

I will post up the pyro install next week.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/08/69.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/08/70.jpg

EDIT: I really need to invest in a half decent digital camera!!!!!!!!!

AB
7th August 2011, 07:48 PM
Extra post for Pyro gauge later on.

AB
7th August 2011, 07:48 PM
one more, just incase

MC97GQ
7th August 2011, 08:02 PM
Nice work AB,

I want to do the same but I'm looking at a combined PYRO/BOOST arrangement, and I want to keep the console as original as possible(I like the clock).

I would like to mount the gauge in that little flat spot next to the instrument cluster between the A pillar.

But keep us posted.

Mark

Rossco
7th August 2011, 08:05 PM
Looks good AB, it's allmost made for it! Bet you can't wait to get that turbo going.

AB
7th August 2011, 08:06 PM
Nice work AB,

I want to do the same but I'm looking at a combined PYRO/BOOST arrangement, and I want to keep the console as original as possible(I like the clock).

I would like to mount the gauge in that little flat spot next to the instrument cluster between the A pillar.

But keep us posted.

Mark

You can't fit two gauges there though which is a huge shame and I didn't want to run two up the A pillar either.

My clock wasn't working anyway...lol

AB
7th August 2011, 08:06 PM
Looks good AB, it's allmost made for it! Bet you can't wait to get that turbo going.

If I didnt have a wife and kid mate I would be down there now finishing that puppy off....haha

MC97GQ
7th August 2011, 08:32 PM
If I didnt have a wife and kid mate I would be down there now finishing that puppy off....haha

Ahh you have a Trol widow too,

Thank goodness they are understanding about when we tinker in the shed.

And I'm hoping to get two in one pyro/boost gauges to fit into that little slot.

Keep us posted mate, Love watching the DIY thread

Mark

patch697
8th August 2011, 10:57 AM
Why don't you ditch the cig lighter old mate & fit the other onw beside it??????

AB
8th August 2011, 11:03 AM
I did think about that one mate....I love my ciggy lighter though...LMAO....

Also, I think you want to keep a good eye on the EGT's so having it up on the dash just under the A pillar will be in perfect site to monitor without taking your eyes off the road too much.

It's very tempting to put it in the ciggy lighter position though!!!!!!!!!

patch697
8th August 2011, 11:13 AM
I did think about that one mate....I love my ciggy lighter though...LMAO....

Also, I think you want to keep a good eye on the EGT's so having it up on the dash just under the A pillar will be in perfect site to monitor without taking your eyes off the road too much.

It's very tempting to put it in the ciggy lighter position though!!!!!!!!!

Its a lot easier to find a spit & run wires for a ciggy lighter then a gauge old mate...

I'd have to agree with a pillar pod & its what I'll be doing one of these days.

I just like em......lol

maphew
18th August 2011, 07:41 PM
Looks great, I'm begining my mods with a boost and pyro gauge mounted on the GU pillar. Great info, I used to have my gauges in the GQ in the same spot, always more fun watching the boost gauge than the clock!!!

Bigrig
18th August 2011, 07:44 PM
Couldn't care where mine go ... I just want more dials to look at!!!! lmao

AB
18th August 2011, 08:34 PM
I just realised that I have finished all my gauges and completely forgot to take photos along the way of the PYRO...OOPS!

I'll try and take some this weekend. It's pretty much similar to the boost except I drilled a 6mm hole in the exhaust, push the probe through, bolt off and run the lines back into the cab.

maphew
18th August 2011, 09:41 PM
Mate what gauges did you end up running? I've been looking at the autometer's, seem to be good quality at a reasonable price.

AB
18th August 2011, 09:50 PM
Mate what gauges did you end up running? I've been looking at the autometer's, seem to be good quality at a reasonable price.

Yep, I ran the Autometers. In my opinion the best quality for the price by far.

There's some on our affiliate store with Amazon for sale which have the package for both Pyro and Boost at a good price too --> http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/4x4-store.html

Bagheera
26th August 2011, 09:43 AM
Did you have to get the bung welded into the exhaust for the pyro, or did you just drill and tap?

I have my boost gauge and am waiting for the pyro to arrive. Can't get the pillar pod till next week as the seller is up in Sydney for the 4WD show and didn't bring any with him :(

AB
26th August 2011, 10:37 AM
Did you have to get the bung welded into the exhaust for the pyro, or did you just drill and tap?

I have my boost gauge and am waiting for the pyro to arrive. Can't get the pillar pod till next week as the seller is up in Sydney for the 4WD show and didn't bring any with him :(

Just drill and tap mate.

It was an easy job, far easier then I thought.

Just drill the 6mm hole (or whatever the intructions say) slide the probe through ensuring the ceramic washer is the first object inbetween the exhaust and probe, then the locking bolt and tighten....Job done!

Bagheera
26th August 2011, 12:24 PM
Thanks for that - hopefully the postie is nice to me today and brings the pyro so I can get stuck into it over the weekend.