PDA

View Full Version : Polymer bullbars

Subtlevox
6th August 2011, 12:28 PM
Hey ... Has anyone tried the new polymer bullbars, such as http://www.smartbar.com.au? (No I have no interest in the company ... just read about it in "Go Camping" mag.)

growler2058
6th August 2011, 12:34 PM
There was a write up in 4wdaction magazine for bullbar comparison and they fared quite well in the impact test. From memory better than some of the alloy brands

craigr
6th August 2011, 08:32 PM
I'm sure they are quite good, impact wise. I know polycabonate windows can be hit with a sledge hammer and just bounce back, I gather it's a similar material.
Gotta say though, they look pretty pox. You can't beat a beefy steel or alli bullbar for looks.

Bigrig
6th August 2011, 09:04 PM
I'm sure they are quite good, impact wise. I know polycabonate windows can be hit with a sledge hammer and just bounce back, I gather it's a similar material.
Gotta say though, they look pretty pox. You can't beat a beefy steel or alli bullbar for looks.

Agreed on all counts mate!!

big_fletch
6th August 2011, 09:06 PM
The Smart Bars i dont like the look of.... However my Father has one on the front of his 1999 Land Rover Discovery.. He fitted it up and 5 days later used it, Driving on the Highway at 110km's and an old lady in her little Daewoo did a U-turn in middle of road without looking.. My father locked up the Disco and T-Boned her at about 80km's. Wrote her car off (seperated rear diff from her car) and thankfully no-one was hurt.. The Bullbar absorbed the full force of the impact and didnt even set my fathers Air-Bags off which was amazing... The bar also bounced back almost into its original shape.. I would have no problems recommending one of these bullbars.. I have a photo somewhere of the front of My dad's Disco and if i can find it ill post it up

Subtlevox
7th August 2011, 02:21 PM
Thanks Fletch - that's really interesting stuff.

BillsGU
8th August 2011, 10:42 AM
The Smart Bars i dont like the look of.... However my Father has one on the front of his 1999 Land Rover Discovery.. He fitted it up and 5 days later used it, Driving on the Highway at 110km's and an old lady in her little Daewoo did a U-turn in middle of road without looking.. My father locked up the Disco and T-Boned her at about 80km's. Wrote her car off (seperated rear diff from her car) and thankfully no-one was hurt.. The Bullbar absorbed the full force of the impact and didnt even set my fathers Air-Bags off which was amazing... The bar also bounced back almost into its original shape.. I would have no problems recommending one of these bullbars.. I have a photo somewhere of the front of My dad's Disco and if i can find it ill post it up

Fletch - I think the GU one looks OK - it's on my Avatar above.

I had an alloy bar on the last car and it was good - but it was hard to clean and it looked dated after a couple of years.

The beauty of the smart bar I have now is it is VERY light (no need to upgrade the front springs), it is easy to clean (just spray and wipe does the trick), and unlike alloy - it can take bumps and bounce back. It was also very easy to fit the winch to the bar.

wax
8th August 2011, 03:01 PM
Hi guys how much do they cost

BillsGU
8th August 2011, 03:53 PM
Hi guys how much do they cost

About $1600 fitted for a GU Patrol.

big_fletch
8th August 2011, 06:37 PM
About $1600 fitted for a GU Patrol.

Yer your right it actually doesnt look that bad when its colour coded.. I have no doubts that they are safe as houses though lol

big datto
9th August 2011, 08:22 PM
yeah mate its what you want and for what purpose. out here central west if your got hit them steel bars are the go seen many alloy bars screwd and seen plastic ones do more damage to the car than what pig roo rabbit would have done anyway but hey its what you feel you need and whatcha ya taking on i guess

BillsGU
9th August 2011, 11:38 PM
Its all about frequency of risk vs price vs weight vs whatever.

twiggsy
17th August 2011, 01:57 PM
i got a smart bar on my gu. its black and the troll is the forest green colour so with the black snorkel and the black wheel arches it blends in well. havent got a winch on though. didnt realise it would work!!! ill have to look into it and see if i can get it done locally. that way i wont have to fork out for a new bull bar aswell. when i saw pics i wasnt keen but when i saw it in the flesh it doesnt look that bad actually. but you guys are right, the looks of a nice steel bar cant be beat.

Guido
18th August 2011, 04:50 PM
Does anyone know whether they can be painted to colour code to the vehicle?

BillsGU
18th August 2011, 05:32 PM
They come in lots of colours. The colour is all the way through the plastic. You could paint it - but if it chiped or scratched you would see the base colour underneath. Have a look at the smartbar web site - they have a sample of available colours.