PDA

View Full Version : whats this noise ?

sparra 1
5th August 2011, 08:19 PM
g'day guys just resently my 2000 gu 3lt has been make a noise from time to time it happens under excelaration and decelaration it sounds abit like a draging chain for example like ya chain hitting the ground on your trailer while you tow it ????? ching ching ching .

any ideas thanks Sparra 1

Bigrig
5th August 2011, 08:25 PM
Is it coming from the front or the rear? If front, engine area (pinging?) or suspension? It front suspension or from the rear at all, I'd be throwing a spanner over the lot and checking bushes/rubbers just to rule out a loose bolt, perished rubber, moving control arm/panhard/drag link etc ...

Sorry mate - all I've got I'm afraid!!

sparra 1
5th August 2011, 08:30 PM
Is it coming from the front or the rear? If front, engine area (pinging?) or suspension? It front suspension or from the rear at all, I'd be throwing a spanner over the lot and checking bushes/rubbers just to rule out a loose bolt, perished rubber, moving control arm/panhard/drag link etc ...

Sorry mate - all I've got I'm afraid!!

not sure its a bit hard to here where its coming from stuck my head out the window a few times but cant pin point it

Bigrig
5th August 2011, 08:32 PM
not sure its a bit hard to here where its coming from stuck my head out the window a few times but cant pin point it

Righto - unless others on here have a better clue as to what it may be (more than likely), then might be an idea to get down and dirty under the truck mate and check everything first to rule it out as said ...

Good luck sorting it mate!

GUtsy ute
5th August 2011, 08:42 PM
g'day guys just resently my 2000 gu 3lt has been make a noise from time to time it happens under excelaration and decelaration it sounds abit like a draging chain for example like ya chain hitting the ground on your trailer while you tow it ????? ching ching ching .

any ideas thanks Sparra 1

Check the uni joints and inside the handbrake drum.
Also check the metal oil slinger plates behind the diff yokes, they can get dislodged and spin.
They are a press fit onto the yokes, and make a tinny noise when loose.

YNOT
5th August 2011, 08:48 PM
If your Patrol is a manual it could be a dual mass flywheel failing.

Tony

Yendor
5th August 2011, 08:55 PM
Check the uni joints and inside the handbrake drum.
Also check the metal oil slinger plates behind the diff yokes, they can get dislodged and spin on the yokes.
They are a press fit onto the yokes, and make a tinny noise when loose.

I second this, well I think we are talking about the same thing.

The metal plate between the diff flange and oil seal, it's like a stone guard for the seal, it is a press fit that can work loose.

GUtsy ute
5th August 2011, 09:00 PM
I second this, well I think we are talking about the same thing.

The metal plate between the diff flange and oil seal, it's like a stone guard for the seal, it is a press fit that can work loose.

That's the ones!!

the godfather
5th August 2011, 10:01 PM
Hi sparra, just in case it's something simple: I have a 2001 GU that made the same sort of noise. Sounded like a chain tingling at certain revs and at start up. Turned out to be an exhaust clamp had come loose and when it was in the right spot and resonance it rang like a bell. So as Bigrig said, time to get down and dirty and crawl underneath to check it all out.

The Godfather.....

sparra 1
6th August 2011, 08:49 AM
rightio ill see how i go

Dhuck
6th August 2011, 08:55 AM
Hi sparra, just in case it's something simple: I have a 2001 GU that made the same sort of noise. Sounded like a chain tingling at certain revs and at start up. Turned out to be an exhaust clamp had come loose and when it was in the right spot and resonance it rang like a bell. So as Bigrig said, time to get down and dirty and crawl underneath to check it all out.

The Godfather.....

I have to agree with that. I had a loose exhaust clamp a while back. At certain points on acc and decell it vibrated and sounded like a chinging noise

Havoc
7th August 2011, 12:00 PM
could be a loose heat shield on the exhaust