PDA

View Full Version : What a difference castor correction bushes make!

XTC
4th August 2011, 11:22 AM
I've had a 2" lift fitted to my Patrol for years now, and it has always handled well, and worn tyres evenly, so when I replaced my coils with some longer ones (couple of inches longer), I was a bit shocked at how terrible it became to drive. It was very twitchy in the steering and wanted to wander all over the road.

I bought a set of castor correction bushes (2 degree rubber ones), and now after fitting them it drives like a bought one and doesn't want to wander at all on the highway. So money well spent, and something I would recommend doing for anyone with a lift over 2".

Bit of a warning for anyone doing this job themselves though. When I was tightening up the nut on the chassis end of the passenger side radius arm, I must have used a bit too much effort and snapped the threaded end off the arm. So a costly mistake by me at $165.00 for a replacement secondhand radius arm ($520.00 if I wanted a new one).

So if your considering doing this job yourself, get a service manual with the torque setting in it, and also a torque wrench, so you don't over tighten this nut.

snicko
4th August 2011, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the heads up mate. Good to see you got it sorted.