PDA

View Full Version : head light relay

aus351
3rd August 2011, 11:13 PM
hi guys do a gq ute have a headlight relay if so where would it be, there's 3 relays near the fuse panel, are any one of these for the headlights
cheers

Yendor
3rd August 2011, 11:29 PM
The gq don't have relays fitted to the headlights from factory.

Someone may have fitted some, it is a common mod.

aus351
3rd August 2011, 11:46 PM
Thanks for that,
That's why when put the headlights on theres no relay clicking. the main issue im having is the high beam light on the dash isnt working, dosent seem to be any power going to pins on the plug that plugs in the dash,
need wire diagram to trace it.

Yendor
3rd August 2011, 11:57 PM
Does the drivers side head light work on high beam?

MC97GQ
4th August 2011, 06:18 AM
Hi,

If you have a test light, check all your fuses located in the drivers side kick panel, I had the same problem when I first bought my ute and checked all the fuses one was blown but I can't remember which one it was, but after I changed the fuse my hi beam indicator light mysteriously started working.

So I figure it's as good a place to start looking as it worked for me.

But I would recommend that you look at fitting relays for your Lo/High Beam and update your headlight wiring too when you get a chance,

Mark

aus351
4th August 2011, 11:15 PM
Hi
funny that I checked an found out RH high beam didnt work, change lights to make sure, still not working. Put the test light on showed very little power was going there, played with the h/light switch plug it worked then it didnt. My guest it my switch or the plug the fuses were all ok
If anyone has a better idea I 'll look at it
cheers

Yendor
4th August 2011, 11:46 PM
I would say your headlight switch is faulty. The GQ headlight switch has four sets of contacts in it. Two contacts for left and right low beam and two contacts for left and right high beam.

The high beam warning light in the dash works from the same contacts as the RHS high beam, so if low beam left and right was working and high beam on the LHS was working this tells me that the contacts in the switch for the RHS high beam are faulty.

This is a common fault especially if larger wattage bulbs have been fitted.

You can get a replacement switch, NIZZBITS sells them.

Or you can get an upgraded headlight harness along with relays, so you can run large wattage bulbs.

If you do decide to get the upgraded harness without replacing the switch you will need to modify your vehicle original wiring slightly to get it to work, its easy and I can help you through it.

MC97GQ
5th August 2011, 06:23 PM
Hey aus351,

Yendor is right get onto Nizzbits, Garry there will be able to get you a headlight combination switch pretty quick, mine cost about $115 including postage, well worth spending the money.

I've included a link to my thread about changing the switch, it's easy as.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?5131-Replacing-Headlight-Indicator-Stalk-97GQ

Mark

aus351
6th August 2011, 08:38 PM
Thanks to everyone for your input, I purchase a second hand switch from pick'n payless wreckers for $25 looks like new an works well, I found it in a pulsar 90 mode something look interchangable between the two.
I going wire some relays to low & high beam so it doesn't happen again
cheers Andrew