PDA

View Full Version : stereo speakers for gq 1997 ????

jurdy93
3rd August 2011, 10:07 PM
hi guys just a little problem been looking on the forums and could not find anything on the gq's speakers.
my gq the standed speakers that he aged well and i need to replace them my problem is what speakers can you fit in the orignal holes.
My clarions i own don't fit and cant space the speakers out because of the window winder is in the road.
any idears????

can anyone help me with this.
thanks so much jurdy.

Finly Owner
3rd August 2011, 10:39 PM
Just go and buy a different brand in the same diameter with the correct ohms at what wattage you like. I think yours are a 4 inch speakers and your clarions are most likely six inch?

Tim

jurdy93
3rd August 2011, 10:43 PM
tim thanx for the help mate mine are 6 inch in the front doors so there messure up to be lol.
the new ones i have are 6 aswell its just there to deep if u know what i mean.

thanks

Finly Owner
3rd August 2011, 11:26 PM
Yeah so get some less bass ones and that should do trick. Explain to guys in Autobarn what you nedd, take ol' one with you.

Tim

Clunk
3rd August 2011, 11:32 PM
get some standard ones in the front and stick some beefier ones in the rar barn doors for that extra base............ and if I was 20 years younger I'd go an amp and subwoofer but my ears just cant take it anymore ....lol

MC97GQ
4th August 2011, 05:02 AM
Jurdy,

I had a similar problem, What I did in my 97 GQ Ute was,

I got a couple of 6"(150mm) Plunger Rubbers(I will explain) from a plumbing supply place. A plunger rubber is a 6" round flat piece of rubber about 10mm thick(so any flat rubber would do, I used them that way only cutting out the inside hole)I then made a template, actually an old baby formula tin,then cut out the centre so as to make a rubber ring. This fits over the speaker cone and against the flat mounting surface of the speaker. I then matched up the holes predrilled them and then fitted the whole lot into the doors with some longer self tapping screws.

This allows the cones which are about 45 - 50mm deep to clear the window glass when you wind the window up or down. My speakers are JVC CS - V626, I reckon it makes em sound heaps better in the door as the rubber is a cushion against metal on metal. And my Maverick door trims with the speaker grills in them still fit nicely over the top of the speakers. And my window winders still work perfectly.

I hope this is of use

Mark

YNOT
4th August 2011, 05:13 AM
I made some timber spacer blocks about an inch thick to mount the speakers in my last GQ. I used 5 1/4" speakers which fitted OK and cleared the winder handle.

Tony

jurdy93
4th August 2011, 10:42 PM
thanx guys i had a play today and got them to fit with just enough room
to fit my fingers in to wind up my window sounds gr8.
i got some spacers off a mate and just off set the hole so the speaker just clears the
window winder. just got to do the back doors now but its harder with draw system in the way lol
but the speakers can be deeper in the back because the window does not wind down correct ????
if it will help ill take some picks and up load them for you.

YNOT
5th August 2011, 05:31 AM
thanx guys i had a play today and got them to fit with just enough room
to fit my fingers in to wind up my window sounds gr8.
i got some spacers off a mate and just off set the hole so the speaker just clears the
window winder. just got to do the back doors now but its harder with draw system in the way lol
but the speakers can be deeper in the back because the window does not wind down correct ????
if it will help ill take some picks and up load them for you.

Correct, no wind down windows in the cargo area.

Tony