PDA

View Full Version : Windscreen washer bottle - interchangeability between GU & GQ?

Cuppa
1st December 2021, 10:25 AM
My windcreen washer bottle is leaking. Found yesterday that the bottle was empty. Refilled it & this morning MrsTea noticed a tell tale puddle under the car. Washer bottle is no longer full & observed a drip underneath along with wetness on the bottom of the bottle.

First thought was to remove it & repair the leak, but I suspect the chances of a repair working/lasting are not good, particularly given the sort of roads we drive on & a leak can only get worse. We use our washers quite a lot in the dusty conditions.

Having ascertained the silly money wanted for a genuine washer bottle I looked at the aftermarket options. Best price I can find is $71 (Single outlet ute version without pump).

I note however that in the pictures the bottles available for GQ's look like they are the same & are over 2/3rds cheaper at around $20 or low $30's with a fitted pump.

QUESTIONS: 1. Will GQ bottle fit straight into my GU like a GU one?
2. Anyone who has bought a replacement bottle without a pump - any problems fitting/sealing the old pump into a new bottle? ie. would I be better buying a bottle
with a pump (cheap aftermarket) fitted?

84652 84654 84653

This link (https://www.sterlingparts.com.au/products/windscreen-washer-bottle-for-nissan-patrol) advertises a washer bottle for GQ & GU, suggesting the bottles are interchangeable up to 2007?? (mine is 2006).

Cuppa
1st December 2021, 10:44 AM
MrsTea's observation of the pics, honed from the sort of puzzles she likes doing, immediately noticed that the first pic in the post above (GU bottle) appears to have an indentation below & left of the filler cap, which doesn't show in the GQ bottle pics.

However I took a photo of my existing bottle - no indentation. Maybe mine is not a GU one, or an aftermarket one, or The current aftermarket ones are different to the originals??

Winnie
1st December 2021, 11:24 AM
I can't answer the backwards compatibility, but have you checked where it is leaking from? Most likely it is the seal around the pump which would be a very easy fix.
I replaced my bottle a few years ago and the seals they come with are very poor and had to be replaced only a couple of months after installing it, from memory I made some seals out of rubber and sillasticed them in.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Cuppa
1st December 2021, 01:19 PM
You're right Winnie, I'll pull it out to check it first.

mudski
1st December 2021, 01:26 PM
Yeah Chris is on the money I reckon.

BrazilianY60
1st December 2021, 01:45 PM
If it is just a small crack it shouldn't be impossible to fix, afterall, we are not talking about hot/pressurized/vital fluid like cooling fluid. Any of those two-compound glue/resin should do the trick. Something I noticed though is that none of the picture shows the rear window pump. I suppose you searched specifically for an UTE?

Cuppa
1st December 2021, 03:51 PM
Something I noticed though is that none of the picture shows the rear window pump. I suppose you searched specifically for an UTE?

Yep you are correct.

Cuppa
1st December 2021, 07:33 PM
I can't answer the backwards compatibility, but have you checked where it is leaking from? Most likely it is the seal around the pump which would be a very easy fix.

Yep, I think you are spot on. Have removed the washer tank - bit of an effort due all the 'stuff' I have in the way, but I got there. Filled tank & watched.Sure enough the leak was coming from the seal area. But from around the outside of the seal, or from the inside where the pump fits? I suspect the outside & have now refitted the seal using the only 'goo' I have to hand - Roof & gutter silicone sealant. Did you put sealant both inside and outside of the seal?

Deano2506
1st December 2021, 08:05 PM
G'day mate,I had the same problem.
I bought a pair of new Chinese pumps with seals from ebay,only cost me about $20.
I'm still using the factory pumps with the new seals,fixed the problem and that was 3 years ago

Cuppa
7th December 2021, 09:07 AM
And back to the leaking windscreen washer bottle saga. <sigh>

Several attempts to seal the seal have failed. Primarily it seems because the rubber seal itself was not leaking. Tested this by finding something the right size to block the hole. No leak. Refit the pump -> leak. Grrr.

Patrolapart's web page says "A common thought is that the washer pump rubbers are leaking, however more often than not, it is the pump itself leaking through it's internal seals".

So hopefully a replacement pump will get me sorted. Patrolapart have two options, genuine & aftermarket, to suit my car.

mudnut
7th December 2021, 10:21 AM
Mine started leaking the day before a big trip, and there was no chance of getting a new one. I found the motor was kicking forward on start up and leaking at the seal. I could push the motor back into place and the leak stopped. I made a plastic harness that wrapped around the back of the bottle, bottom to top and side to side. After applying some silicon on the seal, I used some old cable insulation to stretch across the motor, which forced it back into place. Fingers crossed it is still sealed.