PDA

View Full Version : decisions, decisions.

Timmo
2nd August 2011, 05:41 PM
well i have managed to talk her into letting me get the suspension upgrade now when tax come is and she wants me to make a decision.

I have done the ring around and got prices but as always would like some advice

the three i have to choose form is the

TJM XGS HD $1805.00 fitted
OME sports $1540.00 fitted or the
Toughdog $1780.00 fitted

now im not worried about the price thats her bag but im interested in the ride they all give, whos got what and how do you rate them and if you had to choose which one would you choose.

YNOT
2nd August 2011, 06:21 PM
A large portion of the ride quality will depend on what rate of spring you choose and how well matched it is to your vehicle and its accessories.

Does the Tough Dog kit include adjustables or foam cell shocks?

In a recent shock absorber review in 4WD action magazine the TJM shocks were found to be very soft in the damping, the OME's quite firm and the Tough Dog foam cells somewhere in between.

I've only recently removed the Tough Dog adjustables from my Patrol (now in Bigrig's Patrol), I found them to be a great shock that gave me no trouble. I found once I found a comfortable setting on the shocks that still gave me a controlled ride I never adjusted them again. I'm thinking I will get a Tough Dog 2" lift with foam cell shocks to replace what I have just removed - so that's my pick.

Tony

AB
2nd August 2011, 07:51 PM
Tough Dog is probably the better choice but I have the OME sports GU 2" on my GQ and I love it...

growler2058
2nd August 2011, 07:55 PM
We have tjm xgs gold on the !@#$%^ and are happy as. As Tony said a lot of the ride quality will depend on spring rates Make sure the supplier knows what your plans are with your troll. A good workshop will ask you your intended use and sort of weight you'll be carting

Maxhead
2nd August 2011, 08:11 PM
Just to throw a spanner into your work , I have dobinson coils and koni shocks. The best ride since OEM. I have linear type coils. You can choose between linear and progressive coils,
Mine cost 1200 bucks and were suited to the truck at the time.That was a 2" lift as well/. I got it through www.suspensionstuff.com.au . Shane was excellent help.
No affiliation with them what so ever.

by the way konis are adjustable as well

YNOT
2nd August 2011, 08:17 PM
Just to throw a spanner into your work , I have dobinson coils and koni shocks. The best ride since OEM. I have linear type coils. You can choose between linear and progressive coils,
Mine cost 1200 bucks and were suited to the truck at the time.That was a 2" lift as well/. I got it through www.suspensionstuff.com.au . Shane was excellent help.
No affiliation with them what so ever.

by the way konis are adjustable as well

Was $1200 just for the shocks?

Tony

NissanGQ4.2
2nd August 2011, 08:23 PM
x 2 with dobinson coils, I had 4inch coils running Rancho adjustable shocks, and as Tony said with his shocks.....once I found a comfortable setting on the shocks that still gave me a controlled ride I never adjusted them again :)

But one setup more than likely will not suit another, Tony hit the nail on the head with "A large portion of the ride quality will depend on what rate of spring you choose and how well matched it is to your vehicle and its accessories"

Hope you end up finding what your after

XTC
2nd August 2011, 08:50 PM
Limbo what do the prices you listed include?

Whilst I don't have any experience with the three brands you listed, I have had a great run out of Dobinson coils, and have just replaced an 8 year old set of their coils with a new set, mainly replaced to gain a couple of extra inches.

After a lot of ringing around, I'm currently waiting on a set of Ultimate Suspension shocks, however they have supply delays which is testing my patience a bit.

Best advice I got when looking for suspension was John at Zordo Suspension. He's doing this stuff all the time, and doesn't do the hard sell that some do.

Woof
2nd August 2011, 09:21 PM
I had OME 2" lift on my old 2007 GU and loved it, maybe the new owner may want to comment as well................ET your thoughts mate.
Currently running Tough Dog adjustables on the Q with a 4" lift and do not like them one bit....

snicko
2nd August 2011, 09:28 PM
We have OME on our rig which is set up mainly for touring either towing a camper trailer or with the roof top tent on. We are very happy with the set up.

nowoolies
2nd August 2011, 10:55 PM
we have O M E on ours cant fault it
have you tried Robson bro`s in welshpool

WORTHOS6
3rd August 2011, 03:13 PM
hi timbo
mate try the 4wheel drive shop in ascot
92778400 or 92776176
i got a 2. 1/2" progressive lift (no drift unloaded) Gabriel 43mm shocks, king springs $990.00 all up but was for my GQ
fitting was around $200.00 through a few different places but i fitted myself, dont know about GU though i am yet to fit my lift
see how you go mate

Maxhead
3rd August 2011, 03:31 PM
Was $1200 just for the shocks?

Tony

No mate, $1200 for shocks and coils. it might have been a bit less than that

Havoc
7th August 2011, 12:19 PM
well i have managed to talk her into letting me get the suspension upgrade now when tax come is and she wants me to make a decision.

I have done the ring around and got prices but as always would like some advice

the three i have to choose form is the

TJM XGS HD $1805.00 fitted
OME sports $1540.00 fitted or the
Toughdog $1780.00 fitted

now im not worried about the price thats her bag but im interested in the ride they all give, whos got what and how do you rate them and if you had to choose which one would you choose.
go the biggest one and fit it all your self to save for the bigger tread youll be able to run.
bigger is always better, lol. tjm shocks are pretty good, coils are all the same in the end (only rated different) brand name means nothing is what im getting at (for coils any way)

Eds where?
13th August 2011, 01:08 PM
I would like to know how you managed to talk her around? It took me 3 months to get a snorkel out of mine!!!! lol