PDA

View Full Version : Ultra copper on gaskets or not?

AB
1st August 2011, 08:52 PM
Does anyone use ultra copper when fitting new gaskets for the manifold, dump pipe, exhaust pipes, etc or is this a waste of time?

I was told to use this on both sides of the metal gaskets but obviously Mr Nissan never did this so not sure if it should be done or not?

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/08/9.jpg

Finly Owner
1st August 2011, 09:43 PM
If you have a good surface on both exhuast and head etc, you can get away with using normal gaskets, especially if you clean off any old gaskets,sealants and rust.

Sealants like ultra copper are just like a "sure to be sure thing".

Tim

04OFF
22nd August 2011, 08:29 PM
What Tim said ^

When assembled from new, most surfaces (manifolds etc) are normally a nice flat macheine finish, so gasket only is fine, as the car ages, and after many heat cycles, exposure to moisture etc, these surfaces can suffer from mild warping and pitting.

Normally you wont "need" extra sealer, but nothing worse than putting it all back together to hear a exhaust leak, and then have to pull it apart again.

My old turbo torana used to see quite high EGTs , i found Ultra Copper was the only thing that lasted, so can vouch for it as a quality product.

Silver
22nd August 2011, 08:31 PM
I would check before putting copper near aluminium alloy, eg head, thermo housing, etc.

AB
22nd August 2011, 08:35 PM
I would check before putting copper near aluminium alloy, eg head, thermo housing, etc.

I didn't end up doing this, had new gaskets and just ensured everything was cleaned thoroughly and bolted up tight....No leaks anywhere and it runs 100%