PDA

View Full Version : Purchase Advice

Foggy
30th July 2011, 04:15 PM
Hi there,
I am looking to upgrade from a GQ to a GU and want some advice. My budget is going to limit me to either a petrol or 2.8TD. My concern for the petrol is the running costs, however if they are as strong as a 4.2TD i can live with that. My concern with the 2.8TD is that it is only a 2.8 and the Patrol is a lot of vehicle. I intend to do 4WDriving (mostly state forest with some pretty step stuff), touring and light towing (Motorbikes etc). I'd be grateful for any advice. Many thanks, Mark

YNOT
30th July 2011, 04:32 PM
The bigger engines are definately better in slow off road work, on the other hand a set of reduction gears will overcome any lack of bottom end torque from the 2.8 TD.
2.8 TD power can be improved with a power chip and big exhaust.

If you get a 4.5 petrol make sure it's on gas (most will be) or it will cost a fortune to run.

Fuel economy of the 4.5 can be improved by keeping it tuned properly, fitting a snorkel and good quality extractor exhaust system. Replacing the oxygen sensor and coolant temp sensor on the engine can also benefit economy, these can become out of calibration over time and cause the engine to run rich.
Either engine will handle touring and light towing, so I guess it comes down to power (4.5) or economy (2.8).

Tony

NissanGQ4.2
30th July 2011, 08:07 PM
don't you mean downgrade to a GU???

YNOT
30th July 2011, 09:02 PM

I was waitin' for it to start!!!

Tony

XTC
31st July 2011, 08:12 PM
2.8 Patrols suffer badly when asked to tow any sort of load on the highway, but get them in low four, off the beat'n track, and they will more than pull their weight. With a chip fitted the dreaded turbo lag is reduced markedly, however take offs on any sort of hill (especially heavily loaded) are always a struggle.

NissanGQ4.2
31st July 2011, 08:22 PM
I was waitin' for it to start!!!

Tony

hahahahaha, somebody had 2 say it Tony

teleman
1st August 2011, 08:20 PM
Hey.
Are you sure you cant sqeeze out the little extra dosh for the 3ltr? My 3ltr more than adequately do anything i ask it too.
From towing to offroad, to great economy.
I dont have any engine mods on it either.
I have also had a 4.5 and really do recomend its on gas. That being said, the 4.5 will go ANYWHERE you want it to.

Sir Roofy
1st August 2011, 08:25 PM
welcome aboard mate enjoy your stay

Havoc
7th August 2011, 12:22 PM

thems fighten words lol