PDA

View Full Version : difference in MQ/MK suspension

Finly Owner
29th July 2011, 09:18 PM
I have copied this from 4WD1.com

If you own a 1980's model leaf-sprung Nissan Patrol wagon or SWB, chances are that you're calling it an 'MQ'.

There's confusion for Nissan owners as to whether their 4WD is an MQ Patrol, or its 2nd series variant 'MK'model. So here are the facts:

MQ Patrols have round headlights are were build between 6/1980 and 10/1983.

MK Patrols have square headlights are were build between 11/1983 and 12/1987.

Why does this matter? When it comes to the fitment of aftermarket suspension, the design of the front shackles and front spring eyes, differs between the two models. Most suspension companies consolidate the application, only making the front leafs for the later model MK. If you own an MQ, and you buy a suspension kit, you get the springs for the later MK, supplied together with the matching front shackles and bushes from the MK model, in which then all is good.

What is different about the front shackles and bushes between the two models? The earlier MQ has shackles with straight-wall side-plates. Instead of a tradional rubber or urethane bushes, they use a special metal or brass type busing.

On the MK Patrol, the front shackle side-plates are stepped at the bottom (bowed out), basically like an upside-down y-shape. The bush on the top shackle pin is a metal type, and the bush at the bottom of the shackle (that sits in the spring eye) is a rubber or urethane type.

With the vintage of these Patrols, and the potential for chops and changes to the front end by (a) the fitment of a different grille and headlight kit (say after a smash or panel-beating job) and (b) the possibility of the suspension being previously modified or (c) an MQ/MK aftermarket suspension kit - how can you be sure what to order when it comes to suspension parts (replacement type or otherwise?)

Remember:

MQ was build 6/1980-10/1983
MK was build 11/-1983-12/1987
AND - CHECK THE FRONT SHACKLE DESIGN.

MQ has straight-wall side-plates
MK has stepped or bowed side-plates

If you are purchasing a new suspension kit, make sure the shackles will match the new springs.
If you are ordering new bushes, or new shackles for your earlier MQ Patrol, double-check the front shackle design so you know whether to order original MQ ones or the later MK type.

Tim

YNOT
29th July 2011, 09:34 PM
Good find Tim.
I moved the thread to the MQ/MK section to make it easier to find.

That's interesting that the use a metal type bush in places, do the bushes wear and if they do are they difficult to replace?

Tony

AB
29th July 2011, 09:47 PM
That is a good find Timbo, Lots of things to learn in that post..Nice one!

Finly Owner
29th July 2011, 09:56 PM
Good find Tim.
I moved the thread to the MQ/MK section to make it easier to find.

That's interesting that the use a metal type bush in places, do the bushes wear and if they do are they difficult to replace?

TonyYeah they wear, and can be bought, and look easy enough to do.

Tim

timbar
29th July 2011, 11:40 PM
the things you learn hey i think my MQ was a MK bugger me thanks Tim

Finly Owner
31st July 2011, 11:49 AM
the things you learn hey i think my MQ was a MK bugger me thanks TimWell trust me to find the facts.

Tim

MQ MAD
1st August 2011, 10:28 AM
There are alot of little differences even just cosmetic between the MQ/MK
The headlight conversion from the round headlights to the rectangle headlights
Isnt a five minute job,thats for sure
Ill do a list and post it up,from what i can see between the two models here,if theres interest
Good work Tim

Finly Owner
1st August 2011, 10:11 PM
There are alot of little differences even just cosmetic between the MQ/MK
The headlight conversion from the round headlights to the rectangle headlights
Isnt a five minute job,thats for sure
Ill do a list and post it up,from what i can see between the two models here,if theres interest
Good work TimAll the more info Corey the better.

Tim

taslucas
2nd September 2011, 06:31 PM
Hi guys, I just read the thread and so went outside to make sure what mine was. Thought it was an MQ, headlights are MQ (round), Shackles are MQ (straight) but the rego says 1987 for the year of manufacture? Maybe someone did the dodgy on the rego once? (its only off road now anyway)
Also; I see a lot more MQs (round headlights) than MKs. Like 1 MK to every 5 MQs. Were more MQs sold in Aus? Maybe tassie is just that little bit more behind? lol

Finly Owner
3rd September 2011, 10:17 PM
MQ's are the most produced out of the two, as they went from 1980 to 1985 I think from memory. I put up a thread about them a few weeks ago.

Tim

MQ MAD
4th September 2011, 05:50 PM
Hi guys, I just read the thread and so went outside to make sure what mine was. Thought it was an MQ, headlights are MQ (round), Shackles are MQ (straight) but the rego says 1987 for the year of manufacture? Maybe someone did the dodgy on the rego once? (its only off road now anyway)
Also; I see a lot more MQs (round headlights) than MKs. Like 1 MK to every 5 MQs. Were more MQs sold in Aus? Maybe tassie is just that little bit more behind? lol
1987 MQ , not likely
Theres something sus there
You can put straight shackles on an MK
The shackles arent vertical but a tad on an angle,Ive an MK with that done
I removed the snake racing shackles and had no other shackles to fit except MQ straight ones, so they do fit

As for tassie being a little more behind ???
Not goin there

taslucas
10th September 2011, 12:02 AM
1987 MQ , not likely
Theres something sus there
You can put straight shackles on an MK
The shackles arent vertical but a tad on an angle,Ive an MK with that done
I removed the snake racing shackles and had no other shackles to fit except MQ straight ones, so they do fit

As for tassie being a little more behind ???
Not goin there

Yeah im fairly sure that someone did the dodgy on the rego. I got the bus cheap and only use it off road now (i know its definately not stolen so thats all good). I thinks ive figured out that is a 1983.
As for tassie being a bit behind, well i gave you a free shot, you shoiuld have taken it! lol
Thanks for the info:)

k1981
30th September 2011, 05:17 PM
i got both a mq and mk and the front shackles are both different its something to do with the eye on the spring is bigger on the mk then the mq ill find out when i swap the front diff over and find out where this oil leek is comming from

Crankshaft
3rd May 2012, 08:03 PM
My Mq shorties -- aren't.. They are in fact MK's interesting that the VIN starts with KM?? both square headlights and one with the bent shackles. The other has different springs and the bushes are mangled as aresult of being sandwiched with straight shackles.

I am about to swap clutches so I hope there are no other differences. LOL

GQ TANK
3rd May 2012, 11:41 PM
When I replaced my front bush'son my Mk the metal sleaves had weld them selfs to thepins. I had to cut the wins using a hack saw blade.

I got replacement pins & bushes. They wherre the onle vendor I could find that listed parts for the MQ & MK.

Dont forget the MK came with 5 & 4 speed box's and a SD33TD

Ric
6th May 2012, 12:30 AM
Suspension and steering were still not upgraded much until the Late 1985 models. That is when they fitted the best suspension (extra leafs) and improved the steering. Late 85/86 on have the best factory fitted suspension, 7 leaf from memory without climbing under and counting.

Cheers Ric

aussiemale
14th May 2012, 06:57 PM
http://s1100.photobucket.com/albums/g420/aussie_male1au/

Here is my project (wife hates that word), on the left is the MK, the one on the right the MQ. Body of MK is going to be transplanted to the chassis of the MQ..Obviously I've thought this was going to be too easy so have added in the difficulty level by making the MK a diesel and the MQ a petrol...still too easy..well..how about the MK being 24volt and the MQ 12volt. Problem with alcohol is these ideas sound good at the time LOL,

Steve879
15th May 2012, 03:04 PM
I have a 85 MK that we race, it has the angle shackles on it, just replaced them with shorter units as the long travel ones i had i kept breaking, we even ended up cracking the chassis around where they mount, the shorter ones now are much stronger and have more confindence in the front end.

MQ MAD
17th May 2012, 12:47 PM
http://s1100.photobucket.com/albums/g420/aussie_male1au/

Here is my project (wife hates that word), on the left is the MK, the one on the right the MQ. Body of MK is going to be transplanted to the chassis of the MQ..Obviously I've thought this was going to be too easy so have added in the difficulty level by making the MK a diesel and the MQ a petrol...still too easy..well..how about the MK being 24volt and the MQ 12volt. Problem with alcohol is these ideas sound good at the time LOL,

What are you doin exactly ???
Maybe ive had to much alcopops :drunk: when reading this ???

you can do just about anything with these ol rigs,goin diesel to petrol or the other way
The wiring needs to be changed, fairly simple front harness, the engine mounts on the chassis are different