PDA

View Full Version : ECU problem

Fletch
27th July 2011, 10:31 PM
Hi i have a problem with my ECU asi have a miss in the engine. This miss is all the time & i have had it looked at by a few paeple & they tell me it is in teh ECU. Can the Ecu be fixed or do you have to replace it. Is there an after market unit that will plug in place of the original one.
any help will be great.
Regards Fletch

NissanGQ4.2
27th July 2011, 10:50 PM
Hi fletch, post up an intro in the introduction thread when u get a chance, most members won't reply 2 a question with an intro first.

I haven't heard of anyone that fixes ECU, and I believe you can get aftermarket ones that will plug in place of the original.

What model patrol do u own?

try this website

http://www.haltech.com.au/

YNOT
28th July 2011, 06:17 AM
As Todd said it's always nice to post an intro before asking questions.

We're going to need a lot more information to be able to help you, what model Patrol, what engine, mileage, what have you tried so far to fix the issue etc?
From my experience it is very unlikely that an ECU would be causing a miss fire.

Tony

Bigrig
28th July 2011, 08:03 AM
As Todd said it's always nice to post an intro before asking questions.

We're going to need a lot more information to be able to help you, what model Patrol, what engine, mileage, what have you tried so far to fix the issue etc?
From my experience it is very unlikely that an ECU would be causing a miss fire.

Tony

X2 ... sounds like more of a spark, leads, cylinder, fuel, etc issue ... most mechanics have an ECU consult that they can connect and run diagnostics to isolate this sort of thing. Where are you based? I have a consult unit here that we can throw on it if you are around Brissy.

Fletch
29th July 2011, 07:54 AM
HI mate i have a 98 4.5 ltr manual petrol on gas as well.
It is a fresh engine with 4 thou onit. new plugs, leads dizzy.
Have had my auto elect look at it & he could not fine any problems.
The miss is not there all the time it is there about 80% of the time.
You do nitice it more at idel & when at a cruise speeed.
Look forward in hearing from you guys.
Hope this is enough info if need more just let me know & i will tell you.
Regards Fletch

YNOT
29th July 2011, 07:59 AM
What have you done so far attempting to fix the problem? Have you had a compression test done? Spark plugs, plug leads, distributor button, rotar cap, valve clearences etc could all be contributing or causing a miss fire.

Tony

Fletch
29th July 2011, 08:05 AM
The motor is fresh with 4 thou on the clock.
The miss is more at idel & when at a cruise speed.
The motor has new plugs & leads. The dizzy was rebuilt with new coil.
Hope this is enough information if need any more let me know & i will tell you
Regards
Fletch

Fletch
29th July 2011, 08:07 AM
Tony all of what you said have been replaced & the valve clearance has been done.
Fletch

patch697
29th July 2011, 08:33 AM
G/day Fletch & welcome aboard mate.... (please don't forget that intro)

Does the problem occur on both fuels or on just one & or is it worse on one more than the other?

Do you have a snorkel fitted by chance?

Fletch
29th July 2011, 05:20 PM
No i do not have a snorkel & it is a bit worse on gas but it is there on patrol.
It is worse when it cold.
It comes & goes.

YNOT
29th July 2011, 05:41 PM
Have you been able to isolate the miss fire to one cylinder?
Is your gas system a multipoint VSI type system?

Tony

Fletch
29th July 2011, 08:21 PM
The gas system is a direct injection is all that i know & no i have not been able to isolate the cylinder.
I will in the morning see if i can pull off the plug leads to see if i can pin point a cylinder that is missing.
Fletch