PDA

View Full Version : Leaking Injector Pump - GQ TD42

AB
26th July 2011, 08:10 PM
Hi All,

I have had a leak in my injector pump for a month or so now. It hasn't leaked much but It's just starting to get worse now and It's time to fix.

I thought the leak was on the side but after degreasing and drying off I have come to the conclusion It's leaking from all around the top so assuming my O-Ring seal on the top cover needs replacing.

Just a quick one, has anyone done this and can give some advice?

I assume I can replace the O-Ring without taken the pump off.

Or am I just better off taking to a diesel shop and paying them to replace it. I wouldn't imagine it being over $200...Having saying that I would prefer to keep the $200 in my skyrocket...lol

Below are some photos of the leak. I originally thought it was on the side as in one of the pics taken underneath looking up at the side but after cleaning it all I did notice it leaking at the top on the other side of pump as well which indicates the entire top seal is gone.

Any other advice appreciated!!!

I understand that this only a band aid fix and after replacing the gasket may open up more leaks in other areas but a new pump is not a cheap purchase...lol

Finly Owner
26th July 2011, 09:02 PM
if the leak is in the seats of the pump under those fuel lines, they can be done without pump removal by you. I am assuming(bad thing to do) that they ar similat to mine. The seals are a cooper seal and can be purchased from any reputable diesel injector/pump service shop. They should give you instructions for fitting and tensions. Less than $100.00

Tim.

AB
26th July 2011, 09:11 PM
Thats exactly what I want to hear!!!....lol

Cheers Timbo!

YNOT
26th July 2011, 09:17 PM
The delivery valves are on the back of the pump and your leak appears to be from the top of the pump. Then again, I hope Tim is right because that would be so much easier to fix.

Tony

Finly Owner
26th July 2011, 09:26 PM
The delivery valves are on the back of the pump and your leak appears to be from the top of the pump. Then again, I hope Tim is right because that would be so much easier to fix.

Tony
I was going by the drip? I thought I was looking at.

AB
26th July 2011, 09:31 PM
No, your right Tony...I thought it was down there too but actually I found it leaking at the top as per the other photos so your right, I wasn't concentrating properly and unfortunately it is at the top and is most likely the O'Ring rubber seal for the top cover.

I have been reading about this problem a lot today and It's a common problem with older engines and the rubber seals with todays Diesel fuel.

Finly Owner
26th July 2011, 09:35 PM
Hopefully still not too expensive.

Tim

bobby-didge
12th December 2011, 12:56 AM
hey buddyhow you going, ive got the same prob. with my diesel pump atm, just wondering how you went with yours and what it cost you in the end???

AB
12th December 2011, 07:45 AM
hey buddyhow you going, ive got the same prob. with my diesel pump atm, just wondering how you went with yours and what it cost you in the end???

I just saw your other thread...haha

Yeah mate I actually didn't fix mine myself but apparently It's a fairly easy job if It's the top seal.

I was getting my turbo tuned so I just gave it to the guy to do in one shot and I think it cost arond the $200 mark....Its been fine since!

bobby-didge
15th December 2011, 02:29 AM
lol, well if its the top one ill give it a go, I just got to clean it up and hope its leaking from the top, lol
thanks for the feedback.

Jason Kozak
27th December 2011, 11:46 PM
Gday, the copper washers on the supply line leak after a while as they lose there crush that may be the leak at the top .
My fuel pump today stopped delivering high pressure fuel, I suspect the fuel soleniod has failed . I have to remove the top of the fuel pump to replace it .I will speak to Fremantle fuel injection tomorrow and ask about your problems and see if i can help. This is the first problem with anything with my fuel system for 120 000 ks touch wood. God love it.

mikewrigley
16th January 2012, 06:53 PM
I have similar issue with my 2.8 but yet to determine where the leak is coming from. At the mo not a big drama though as not exactly pouring out and (as far as I can tell) it's not majorly affecting performance (yet-road driving only!). Degreasing this weekend so hopefully will be back on this thread with good news!!!! Thanks for the advice though.

AB
16th January 2012, 06:54 PM
I have similar issue with my 2.8 but yet to determine where the leak is coming from. At the mo not a big drama though as not exactly pouring out and (as far as I can tell) it's not majorly affecting performance (yet-road driving only!). Degreasing this weekend so hopefully will be back on this thread with good news!!!! Thanks for the advice though.

Pray for the top seal mate!

mikewrigley
16th January 2012, 06:59 PM
My thoughts exactly!!!! Got quoted $900 for the overhaul otherwise (though I am tempted to give it a whirl myself if it is worse-case scenario!). Have plenty of other things to sort out on my new purchase! :)

Dave.79
16th April 2012, 10:54 PM
Just done my pump
& injectors..exchange $2,500.. Did i get ripped?

jedskipow
19th April 2012, 04:59 AM
Just done my pump
& injectors..exchange $2,500.. Did i get ripped?

Nope they are dear to get done in shop. Paid 1900 for pump however I see a cheaper pump on ebay 600 and would be interested if anyones tried them.

Dave.79
19th April 2012, 08:42 PM
Do you know what brand mate?