PDA

View Full Version : power steering fluid

poopsie
25th August 2021, 02:24 PM
Hi guys,could anyone advise me what type of power steering fluid to use in my ls3 /patrol conversion.The pump is late model commodore,and the actator is the nissan standard one .After a long run the steering whines a lot when turning to park the car at slow speeds.Thanks to all.

PeeBee
25th August 2021, 02:32 PM
Sounds to me like its just going over the pressure relief valve, which is normal as the pump loads up. The whine is from the pump, so go with whatever they suggest, no doubt it will be similar to the steering box actuator?

nissannewby
25th August 2021, 06:53 PM
It shouldn't whine at all. Whine will usually mean a low fluid situation. Usually what oil is required will be on the cap of the power steering reservoir. But a lot of systems just use ATF. The better the atf the better its properties and integrity when under stress.

mudnut
25th August 2021, 07:17 PM
Have you replaced the low pressure hose with the same or larger diameter? It will whine, even with a slightly smaller hose.

MB
25th August 2021, 08:10 PM
Hi guys,could anyone advise me what type of power steering fluid to use in my ls3 /patrol conversion.The pump is late model commodore,and the actator is the nissan standard one .After a long run the steering whines a lot when turning to park the car at slow speeds.Thanks to all.

Only a wacky theory but is there a possibility that the Commodore pump is underrated being that I imagine only designed for little car tyres at near half the street weight?
Only thinking that my big old heavy GU 6.5L Chev ute with Nissan PS pump struggled a bit on a last deep snow trip with 35x12.5” tyres. GQ’s struggle as well in those conditions as if I recall correctly they have less fluid too due to lack of PS coolers out front, just a dead hardline loop back in the system?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nissannewby
25th August 2021, 08:33 PM
Yes power steering systems are so compromised it's not funny. A hydraulic system should have a reservoir at an absolute minimum of 3 times the flow capacity of the pump. So even if our little power steering pump moves 5L/min then the reservoir should be 15L. Best practice would be 5-10 times flow capacity of the pump.

poopsie
25th August 2021, 08:58 PM
Thanks for all of your replies.The hoses are all marks adapters ,the reservoir is aeroflow alloy,but not huge.The whining noise is not noticible on highway but only when going slow and turning reasonably tight.The feel is still good and not notchy.I suspect the pump is turning at a different speed than the nissan part needs.Thanks for any other input.

MB
25th August 2021, 09:15 PM
That seems a very fair first test idea poopsie Mate [emoji106][emoji106]
Change to a smaller pulley on the Chev PS pump is what you mean?
Appeared I fixed my past situation by installing a Davies Craig circa 300x200mm cooler out front for extra capacity/heat shedding of the Nissan TD42 OEM PS pump but its only done 2-3 little trips before being parked up in the shed years ago [emoji22]
Please do keep us posted Brother [emoji120][emoji106][emoji106]

poopsie
26th August 2021, 11:06 AM
Thankyou for all the great replies and ideas.The gu has a finned cooler in front of aircon radiater.Iwill look at pulley size and post results.

MB
28th August 2021, 12:21 AM
Was only trying to ascertain if that was your final idea poopsie Mate [emoji51] [emoji106][emoji106]
Please do be careful that at higher speeds/rpm it doesn’t cook/shred the GM pump [emoji51]
Can only nuffy suggest now that other Chev<>GU mod companies appear to spend R&D time and sell bracketry specifically for keeping Nissan OEM PS pumps in-situ to suit our heavier needs?

mudnut
28th August 2021, 03:25 PM
A whine developed in my power steering pump, when I was supplied a smaller low pressure hose. I got a bigger hose and the whine disappeared. It is worth checking the size fittings and hose that Holden originally ran. If any part is too small, the whine is most likely cavitation, which will eventually chew out the pump.

poopsie
28th August 2021, 07:48 PM
Thanks mate I will look into different pumps.