PDA

View Full Version : New Engine or New Patrol

Timbo
5th August 2010, 12:57 PM
What would you do..

I have a 2.8td GU Patrol Wagon.

I'd love a Ute, but probably impractical if I have any kids within 5 Years.

Here's what drums around in my mind all the time..

1. Keep the 2.8 Wagon with 11k new motor, start spending money on mods I've been holding off on and accept my fate. This could add up to around $10,000 for bark work, fridge, onboard computer, draws, dual batts etc

2. Replace the motor with a 4.2td or LS1 V8. Still have a wagon for any future family, still cool for carrying camping gear, more powerful motor = easier driving all 'round. I could probably sink $10,000 into an engine conversion alone, but would have no mods as above.

3. Sell my wagon, hope to get 15-20k for it, take out a loan equaling the difference to buy another Wagon with a more powerful motor and possibly mods. Could easily pay up to another $20,000 here.

4 Sell my wagon (as above) and buy a Ute with coils in the rear. Great for mods, camping, general utility use (going to the tip, moving house etc). Comes in 4.2TD. Utes are expensive and decent ones seem to go for upwards of $30,000 still with really good ones starting at high 30k low 40k range.
Any future family trips will have to be in a sedan/wagon car.

5. Replace motor in my current wagon and chop it into a ute. Probably looking at around $15,000+ all up. Not sure how I go with engineers certs and registration. Probably cost more money again. Would probably still be cheaper than buying a another Ute.

I'm hesitating on doing much to my current wagon because I really wanted a 4.2td (or V8).. I just didn't have the funds at the time. A V8 would be better again. I'm not sure which path to go really as any of them are feasible. I guess the big thing is money, and I want a house before another 4wd. ATM I'd lean toward a new motor.. but it kind of sucks since the 2.8TD is reasonably new and I don't think there's a huge market for selling these motors, though i could be wrong. Something I'll have to look into.

What do you guys think? Any experience in any of this? How much did your engine conversion cost? Any advice in general?

Cheers

AB
5th August 2010, 03:26 PM
I would have to say option 3 G-Unit IMHO.

Option 1 would still leave you wanting a 4.2 and no doubht will sell the 2.8 after a few years when you already have spent time and money on mods.

Option 2 is an "option" but costly. Unless you find a second hand 4.2td vehicle ridden off and transfer it all across if you have the time to do this and understand that your car will be off the road for some time.

Option 3 - My choice.

Option 4 - Would be my first choice (one like PortalPat's would be nice...lol) but in your situation you may have to go for option 3 as mentioned utes are expensive and a home would be a more smarter move.

Option 5 - I think this may cause more problems then any of the others. May find it hard getting a engineers certificate doing that kind of work.

YNOT
5th August 2010, 04:24 PM
If you want a ute but still want the abillity to possibly carry kids in the future, I would be cutting your wagon down to a dual cab-it seems you already have experience with panel work!!! Getting cab chops approved is easy, just make sure you talk to an engineer before picking up the grinder.
You already have a good engine, so you should be able to get a few $$$ for it if you take it out for an engine swap. Having a good engine also means you have time to find the engine (and associated parts) you want in your own time.
The advantage to keeping the car you have now, is you already know what its faults are, and what work has already been done.
The disadvantage to keeping your current car, is you have to put up with the smell of gearbox oil in the hoodlining!!!

Tony

locks
5th August 2010, 07:24 PM
I would do what they both said. like what Andy mentioned about getting a ride off 4.2 to take out and as Tony mentioned you would get good money for your newish 2.8.

However, I wouldnt bother cutting it to make a ute on a 4 door. have you seen them around? The trays would be lucky to fit a garbage bag. Just not worth the time and effort along with finding an engineer, cutting, patching up, etc etc etc.

Timbo
5th August 2010, 08:47 PM
Yeah Plas, it is. And while I don't expect to get a rock solid consensus from a group on a forum, it's still cool to drum up some conversations and hopefully people come forward who have been in my position and acted on it.. it's interesting to see how much these things cost.

If I were to cut the wagon down, it'd be a 2door Ute, none of this 4 door cab things. Not that its a bad idea.. they are pretty nifty actually! IF you dont have a lot of stuff to carry.
I like the full size tray for space.

Pete's GU3
5th August 2010, 09:10 PM
For me its simple,I like option 2 , there's nothing like a V8............

RustyNails
12th August 2010, 11:12 PM
Option 3
Only wish I had done this instead of a 2.8 rebuild.

Paul

gec
12th August 2010, 11:43 PM
Option 2 but skip the diesel idea, V8's ROCK but maybe I'm a little biased hehe

NilWil
5th September 2010, 09:24 AM
Hi G-unit ,

Just replaced my ZD30 in my wagon with a TD42T . Found a repairable write off and swapped everything over while the both cars sat side by side EASY JOB . I'm glad that i did it that way because of the little things you need (A/C lines,P/S lines,Alter,S/Motor and etc)to make the car look standard and it belongs there . But G-unit I'm like you ,love my wagon , love to have a ute , I've got kids . Need to chop the ass off to make life easier, may be down the track after the engine transplant.
Good luck

skip
13th September 2010, 07:29 PM
Hi G-Unit.
im only new to this patrol onership. I own a GQ 4.2 turbo ute love it . I've driven the same year none turbo ute an though there must have been an anquor dragen behinde me. when the owener of that ute took mine for a drive he could'nt stop saying how it just keep on pulling an pulling. As for ute vs wagon it's up to the kids you you got I can't help you there.

rkinsey
15th September 2010, 02:54 PM
Hey G-Unit. Just my 2 cents worth. Outside of all the modding, swapping and money; keep the wagon!

14 years ago when we were first married, my wife and I were looking for a new car and I wanted a wagon but she didnt, saying it was too big to drive. So I gave in and we got a sedan. 2 years later and two small children we were travelling to see some family 4 hours away and she turns to me and says.........wait for it........... "We really need a station wagon...." (The boot was full and I was towing a trailer that had prams, cots and other useful items that just couldnt be left behind for a 4 day trip....)

I'm glad now that I have purchased not only a wagon, but a 4WD wagon and the family are looking forward to some of the trips I have planned over the next few years before the kids grow up to much bigger and it is deemed "uncool" to hang with you parents.

Cheers,

Rob.