PDA

View Full Version : Wiring/Placement of rear light

Timbo
5th August 2010, 08:03 AM
Hi guys,

4wd: GU Patrol

I'm going to buy a couple (maybe 3) rectangle spot lights on Saturday. My reverse light is so pathetic that i need some proper light.

I'm thinking of attaching 2 lights to the roof rack (rear facing, slight angle outwards) and 1 light on the rear step (low mount for immediate ground lighting).

What's the best way to wire up three lights? Rather than doing the dodgy splice-all-the-wires-together trick, I was thinking of some kind of wiring block?

I'll buy a 3-way switch, and I also need a tip on how to wire that in regards to having on, off and reverse mode.

Do you guys usually tap into the reverse light wire in the light for your power? This would connect to the ON selection of the 3-way switch?

Do you connect to a wire for the reverse gear at the gearbox for the "REVERSE" selection on the 3-way switch?

Lastly, how much wire do you think I'll need if I have to run to the gearbox for the reverse wire? What gauge wire is safe for this?

Many questions!
Cheers

locks
5th August 2010, 10:21 AM
Great idea, I would also like to do this at some stage too so any advice from anyone would be great!!! :)

patch697
5th August 2010, 10:40 AM
I can talk you both through this & give you a run down on what you will need but you will have to wait until tonight when I have time to write it all down.

Pete's GU3
5th August 2010, 01:27 PM
Im only guessing but i dont think the reverse light wiring is strong enough for the spots g-unit you'll only blow the fuse , may need to wire them straight of the battery........stay tuned for more help

Timbo
5th August 2010, 02:36 PM
Well I was thinking of running the 2 roof rack spots off the battery and the singular spotty on the rear step straight into the reverse light. But I should probably have that on a switch because its illegal to have a spotty on the rear of the car as a reverse light.

Or the easy option is to just have the 2 spots on the roof rack wired to a switch. That's easy. On and Off. Bit cheaper too.. maybe that's the ticket.

Timbo
7th August 2010, 04:09 PM
Ok, I've fitted the spotties on the rear today and run the wires. Has taken all day!

I had the spotlight positive wires to the switch and also to the positive battery. Light are earthed at the rear of the car. Switch was earthed under the ashtray. I had the accessory wired to the switch by the light under the ashtray. The system worked until the ashtray wires started smoking. LOL.. the gauge must be too thin.

So then I changed the wiring.

Spotties were supplied with a relay. I've followed the connection instructions which is;

Spotties to relay
Switch to relay
Relay to positive batt
Relay to Negative batt

but unfortunately I ran out of time today as I have to go out now. I have one more connection to make, so im being lazy and asking here for some quick help.

I need to connect the switch (accessories pin) to the high beams. Nothing works without this connection.. I dont want the lights to work only when the high beams are on though obviously..

So my switch has 3 pins. Earth, Pos and Accessories. Earth is earthed, Positive goes to the relay.. whats a simple solution for the accessories pin?

Hope that makes sense, else I can draw up a diagram.

cheers

Timbo
9th August 2010, 07:27 PM
bump it up

patch697
9th August 2010, 08:22 PM
PM sent G.............

Timbo
10th August 2010, 08:31 AM
I've attached a diagram of my current wiring setup for the rear lights.

I think it's pretty self explanatory. I need to know where I wire the green wire?
It's supposed to go to the high beams, but as I said earlier, I want to use the lights off the switch only, not when the high beams are active like normal spotties.

Paul kindly offered to help me over the phone which is bloody good of him, but I'd like to keep all of this documented so that anyone else looking to wire up some light(s) to a switch, will be able to see this info. Of course, I'll type up a proper guide.

I'm thinking it just needs to go to a 12v power source. I initially went to the ashtray light wires, but I melted them. Think they are too thin lol.

Come on lads, who's got the answer?

locks
10th August 2010, 08:15 PM
Great diagram G, that will help people a lot! Hopefully someone can help you on this as I'm not crash hot with electrics. Thinking outloud I would agree that it needs to go to a 12V power source too.

Only guessing so don't take my advice but I would be thinking of connecting it to the reverse light wires or tail lights, etc as you mentioned it melted the little ashy lights which wouldnt have much thickness to those buggers. Does anyone else have any knowledge on these things. I personally would like to know this too?????

Timbo
13th August 2010, 04:23 PM
Looks like I'll have to go to a certain other Patrol forum to get the answer!

Adlarplant
6th October 2010, 12:29 AM
I would find the reverse light wire in the loom (check wire colour/number at bulb if need be) and splice into that wire .I would use this as a switching wire to a standard relay pin 85 or 86 as they are both interconnected inside the relay. I would then connect pin 30 to the battery and pin 87 to the wires for the new lights in question, using whichever pin was left over (85 or 86 your choice ) as the earth for the relay.To make the lights work independently it would just be a matter of supplying a power feed to the switch wire already used i cant see an issue with power feeding back down to the original reverse switch as this switch is in the open position already just think of it as wiring in spotlights but going in the other direction .Hope this helps Cheers Adam

the ferret
6th October 2010, 12:48 AM
this any good to you?
http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt164/ferret/WorklightCct.jpg

http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt164/ferret/20080602_Worklight2.jpg

SIMO2X
29th November 2010, 09:29 AM
Did u end up resolving the problem Timbo??

Timbo
29th November 2010, 09:59 AM
Hey guys..

Sorry I didn't even check this thread after I wired the lights in. There is a separate thread I made with how I installed them HERE.. CLICK ME CLICK ME (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?629-Guide-Wiring-Spotlights-to-switch)

The diagram above that Ferret posted is pretty good too.