PDA

View Full Version : Tips for Fraser Island ?

BillsGU
22nd July 2011, 03:59 PM
I am a member of a 4WD club in Victoria and we are heading up to Fraser in October. We have rented a house at Orchid Beach form 8th to 15th of October. I have never been on Fraser before - but I have done a fair bit of sand driving. Other than tyre pressures - are their any tips or secrets to Fraser? It would be good to get some insider info from people who drive on Fraser regularly. Maybe even a forum meet up?

04OFF
22nd July 2011, 07:10 PM
Ok this turned out longer than expected, so i put some in pics to break it up a bit.:wink:

Check conditions report before you travel Conditions report (http://www.derm.qld.gov.au/register/p01663aa.pdf) , be aware of tide times.

Fraser is pretty easy going, make sure you plan to hit Hook point within 2 hours each side of LOW tide, there is a inland rd, but it is usually very very corrogated/pot holed and should be avoided unless you don't like your car.

You need to plan smart, imagine you where travelling to fraser this week.................as you are going to Orchid beach, you will need to go through Indian head, this is usually easy, but currently is advised as "passable close to low tide", so to get to your holiday house, you will need to travel the whole lenth of 75Mile beach to get to Indian head, then a bit further to orchid beach, so you need time to pass Hook point ,travel 75Mile beach, then have time to pass Indian head while "still" on a lowish tide.

As it is such a long way you need to travel up the beach, and speed limit is 80kph, id suggest you don't let your tyres "right" down straight away, low tide it will be easy going, and high speed in a loaded rig with flat tyres is not a great idea (and its dead easy to let more air out at any time you wish)

If you have the right pressure to get throught the soft sand at inskip point to get on the barge, you will get up Orchid Beach.

As you are going in Oct (not that soon), id bet Indian Head will most likley be easy passable again, Hook point however, is always best hit around low tide.(again check conditions report)

Now thats out of the way....

Orchid beach is great (well all of fraser is really) the orchid beach trading post (name of the shop/servo) sells great pies, fuel was cheapest here and eurong (allthough no fuel now at happy valley anyway) you can also get a beer at the bar next to the shop.

Based at orchid beach you will be in great range to do a trip up to sandy cape lighthouse, check conditions of Ngkala and brown rocks, they can be very slippy , the Ngkala rocks south bypass track can be very soft, so expect to have to give it some to get through :animierte-smilies-t

Near Orchid Beach

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/Fraserpics152a.jpg

Im sure you've heard of Lake mckenzie, its a great spot to visit, but if you find heaps of people there (as you normally do) lake birrabeen is almost identical, but will have much less people.

Lake Birrabeen

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/Favs/a1.jpg

Personally, I wouldn't bother with anything on the western side of the island (eg Moon point, Eastern Beach) ....except Kinfisher Bay resort, it has a great bar/diner/pool area (you don't need to be a guest to go in) you can walk the boardwalk, and catch a great sunset if you stay later.....

Kingfisher Bay

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/Favs/Kingfishersunset169.jpg

Watch for small plane landings on 75mile beach, normally up near the wreck of the maheno.

SS Maheno

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/02abc.jpg

Make sure to take some aerogaurd, the flys can be HUGE and if they are out will annoy and bite the hell out of ya.

Thats all i can think of at the moment that you may not already know, most of the places on the fraser map are worth a visit (except the west side) we found a Hema map of fraser is very good and shows more than most ive seen.

AB
22nd July 2011, 07:25 PM
That's a great reply 04off...

As already mentioned tides are very important to keep an eye on up there. I personally got caught out one time and couldn't make it back to camp and slept on the beach.

King Fisher Bay (http://www.kingfisherbay.com/resort-experience.html) is a great place to stop in for the day too.

Careful leaving all of your food out at night with the Dingoes too. Way too many tourists feeding them and they are not afraid to come into camp at night. Well this was 10 years ago so not sure what It's like now.

Bigrig
22nd July 2011, 08:42 PM
And don't stop in flowing creeks for a photo opportunity - your car will sink to the axles in literally a minute or so, to the sills in less than 10 minutes and completely written off in about 30 minutes ... More common a mistake than you'd think, but obviously easily avoidable!

Airstrike
22nd July 2011, 09:53 PM
I go every year for 3 weeks in September to chase the Taylor. Everything advised previously is on the mark and as Bigrig said if you want a photo just walk there not worth writing off the vehicle. I don’t like personally risking too many trips to Orchid I usually camp 2 clicks north of the Maheno.

If there is any hassles that aren’t usually there this year I will post it for you.

Further to what 04OFF said for the love of god watch the tide times. I have been stuck overnight its borig and lonely lol.

Ryan

04OFF
22nd July 2011, 09:54 PM
Thanks AB,

To avoid attracting dingos when camping, you are required to have NON see through food storage containers that may be stored in a visable area, staying in a house this wont be a problem tho, you just need to be aware not to leave fish scraps around outside, or bits of food on the BBQ etc.

You should be given a pamphlet when you obtain your vehicle permit that outlines all the do's and dont's with regard to fraser dingos. (HERE (http://www.derm.qld.gov.au/parks/fraser/pdf/fraser-island-dingosafe.pdf) is some info it outlines anyway)

And i mean it about those HUGE fly's, they are amazing, and can bite you through a T-shirt, i found them most common early mornings or evenings, but when one will find you, the rest will follow, the thing is, the majority (about 50-60) of them will just go wait for you ON or in your car, just as if they know that is where you will go, and then they are ALL waiting for you when you step out, plus they know you will drive them to other victims.

They don't fall off when you drive either, i drove very fast (well ill say i only got up to 80kph, cos its the legal limit) and i think "one" fell off ! :jawdrop:

Airstrike
22nd July 2011, 10:06 PM
Thanks AB,

To avoid attracting dingos when camping, you are required to have NON see through food storage containers that may be stored in a visable area, staying in a house this wont be a problem tho, you just need to be aware not to leave fish scraps around outside, or bits of food on the BBQ etc.

You should be given a pamphlet when you obtain your vehicle permit that outlines all the do's and dont's with regard to fraser dingos. (HERE (http://www.derm.qld.gov.au/parks/fraser/pdf/fraser-island-dingosafe.pdf) is some info it outlines anyway)

And i mean it about those HUGE fly's, they are amazing, and can bite you through a T-shirt, i found them most common early mornings or evenings, but when one will find you, the rest will follow, the thing is, the majority (about 50-60) of them will just go wait for you ON or in your car, just as if they know that is where you will go, and then they are ALL waiting for you when you step out, plus they know you will drive them to other victims.

They don't fall off when you drive either, i drove very fast (well ill say i only got up to 80kph, cos its the legal limit) and i think "one" fell off ! :jawdrop:

Mate I love the pics what camera do you use?

04OFF
22nd July 2011, 11:11 PM
Mate I love the pics what camera do you use?

Thanks Ryan, i use a Canon 50D, a few more pics (inc more fraser) can be found in my pic thread........... HERE (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?3822-04OFF-pics)

Silver
22nd July 2011, 11:35 PM
agree with above. March flies come in in the other 11 months too. Mosquito coils help a bit. It is fun to smack 'em.

It is quite a busy place. Lots of backpackers, some cute, some less so (blokes) :-)

Since you have a house dingos and crows + rubbish are less of an issue.

A big % of drivers on the island are new to the job, and /or are pissed. They don't often know how long it takes to climb out of the ruts, and can be reluctant to lift the right foot = stopping to leave plenty of passing room for oncoming traffic on the inland tracks

People on the beach often do not hear vehicles. This includes you when you are on the beach. Especially kids

Use your indicator when overtaking, and also when approaching vehicles head on on the beach.

Beware creeks crossing the beach= wash outs. the closer they are to the breaking waves, the shorter the drop off and jump up.

Lovely place, have fun!

AB
23rd July 2011, 06:09 AM
Also, watch out for idiots fishing on the beach with their rods anchored halfway up the beach and not on the shore.

Common problem back when we went and saw a few cars take a line or two...lol

Maxhead
23rd July 2011, 06:48 AM
Good advice people, might have to get up there myself soon. Sounds like a fun spot.

macca86
23rd July 2011, 07:36 AM
it's cursed every time I try and go some one dies and stops the trip! well it happened twice so ain't keen to try again haha would love to go though. Is frazer better than moreton or straddie?

04OFF
23rd July 2011, 09:12 AM
Is frazer better than moreton or straddie?

They all offer different things, so It depends on how you look at it, and what you want from your trip, Fraser is the largest of the sand islands and has the best lakes, it also has a ship wreck and creeks and lots to see, the problem is in its size, it takes such a long time (and fuel if you have a 4.5L like me) to travel around the island, especially in peak times with all the tour buses/traffic on the small tracks.

Moreton is just as beutiful as fraser, it is a lot smaller so you spend less time driving to get where you want to go, it has ship wrecks galore, and the lighthouse is a much easier drive than the one on fraser, Moreton is a bit harder to get to (or more expesive i should say) so can turn people off the idea, but then some people love it most, as it generally has less crowds.

Straddie is the island i visit most, it has heaps of things to see and do , easy for me to get to, loads of accomodation, great beaches and some great tracks, a great family place.

You cant go wrong going to any of the above, if i was travelling from interstate or overseas and had to choose "one", id say go to fraser, a lot of that is to do with its status as a "place to go", not because its incredibly better than the others, frasers attributes are very commercialized compared to the other islands, so it often appears more appealing, personally ive found some of the best spots can fast loose appeal when you have to share them with 500,000 tourists.

It can also depend, on what you like to do, how much time and money you have for the trip, Best if you can get to all three islands at some stage, and dont forget about Rainbow beach/double island point as well, and i spose bribie island once you've seen the rest.

;)

Bigrig
23rd July 2011, 09:37 AM
Moreton is our personal favorite - for all the things Steve listed - beautiful location, not over populated with tourists (the beaches and tracks I mean - the resort is chocka block with them, but even the beach bar there is great). You can only get beer on Friday arvo and over the weekend at Kooringal pub now (very southern tip of the island), but what a spot - you feel like you're in the middle of nowhere, yet if you cross the carpark and have a squiz through the trees, you can see Brisbane CBD across the bay!!!!

Fraser can get on your nerves if you're not good with crowds and after assisting your fourth or fifth tourist who has bogged a hire car, it tends to become frustrating and loses it's gloss ...

Straddle is certainly more "urban beach" feel but is more suited to family get aways where the missus wants to shop, you want to drink, the kids want to play and go to safe beaches within eyeshot of your accommodation etc ... Moreton and Fraser are NOT for swimming on the ocean sides - way too many noahs for that!!

Bribie is well ... boring ... lmao ... it's heavily populated and there are few times when the one section of beach you can drive on is not full of vehicles - the inland track is something that you do once, and never really want to do again, however Poverty Creek campsite on the western side off the inland track isn't a bad camping spot (not great as nothing to do but drink and fish - good for me and the missus, not so for the kids!!! lol).

04OFF
23rd July 2011, 10:06 AM
Very nice summary scotty, although yes bribie is somewhat boring, and very lame compared to the other places talked about, i still like to go there, my kids love to go play in the second cutting washout, plus i enjoy waiting for the incomming tide to watch the "un educated" drive through deep water.

Ive seen heaps of cars come to grief , such as this fellow in a brand new (less than 2 months old) GT Forester........

(first pic by my son)
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/scoobyfail.jpg

and this kia..

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/Bribewash.jpg

This guy got though ok....:D

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/Bribiewash2-1.jpg

Its great for taking pics there too.:049:

macca86
23rd July 2011, 01:38 PM
nice work guys cool pics too! there's another forum trip away idea or idea's

BillsGU
25th July 2011, 09:06 AM
Hi guys. I have been away for the weekend and have come back to all this info !! Thanks heaps all of you. The information is very useful.

O4OFF - Is there an inland track to Orchid Beach that can be taken when the tide is not right? I have seen some tracks on Google Maps but they don't show any detail. I know I will be able to get maps up there - but do you know of any good maps online. I have had a look but again - they are not very detailed.

04OFF
25th July 2011, 10:31 AM
O4OFF - Is there an inland track to Orchid Beach that can be taken when the tide is not right?.

Not that i know of mate, the only other inland track to/from orchid beach is Wathumba rd, but it joins wathumba creek (impassable to vehicles, and totally not even worth a visit), there is a ranger/fire trail off wathumba rd that heads down toward the lakes, but all those trails will be closed to traffic (locked gates) so unless you are walking, you will still have to travel via the Indian Head bypass track.

My advise is be on Fraser Island to pass Hook point, 2 hours before low tide, that gives you plenty of time to get all the way up to Orchid Beach.

Dont wait to get up to QLD to buy your map, Fraser is a popular one so most places stock it, but popular also means it can sell out fast.

You can buy online here Fraser Map (http://www.bookshop.vic.gov.au/maps-queensland-fraser-island-regional-edition-p-22682.html)

BillsGU
25th July 2011, 02:08 PM
My advise is be on Fraser Island to pass Hook point, 2 hours before low tide, that gives you plenty of time to get all the way up to Orchid Beach.

Dont wait to get up to QLD to buy your map, Fraser is a popular one so most places stock it, but popular also means it can sell out fast.

You can buy online here Fraser Map (http://www.bookshop.vic.gov.au/maps-queensland-fraser-island-regional-edition-p-22682.html)

OK - I'll do that. How do you clean the salt off your car when you get off the island? Do you do it at home or is there a place you can go to spray water / oil / whatever underneath?

04OFF
25th July 2011, 02:30 PM
A great place to clean your car after Fraser is here..... CAR WASH (http://www.rainbowbeachcarwash.com.au/)

When you get off the barge, just keep going straight through at the roundabout onto Karoonda rd, the car wash is at the end of this rd on the right hand side, they also have heaps of tyre pumps available on site to air up while you wait, (it can get busy in peak times)

BillsGU
25th July 2011, 03:45 PM
A great place to clean your car after Fraser is here..... CAR WASH (http://www.rainbowbeachcarwash.com.au/)

When you get off the barge, just keep going straight through at the roundabout onto Karoonda rd, the car wash is at the end of this rd on the right hand side, they also have heaps of tyre pumps available on site to air up while you wait, (it can get busy in peak times)

OK - looks like the place to wash under the car. Nothing like local knowledge. Thanks again.

04OFF
25th July 2011, 06:51 PM
No worries mate, glad to help, how many cars/people do you have going up ?

Make sure you bump this thread closer to the trip date, some of us QLDs may be tempted to come over for a weekend, think id be keen to do a Sandy Cape Lighthouse run.

macca86
25th July 2011, 07:16 PM
I think I have a hema map of fraser so pm you're address and I can send it to you or pick it up on your way through

macca86
25th July 2011, 07:25 PM
found it it's the 4th edition should still give you a good help

BillsGU
26th July 2011, 12:23 PM
No worries mate, glad to help, how many cars/people do you have going up ?

Make sure you bump this thread closer to the trip date, some of us QLDs may be tempted to come over for a weekend, think id be keen to do a Sandy Cape Lighthouse run.

At this stage there are six cars - 12 people. I run a three week trip every year for club members and I am never sure of numbers until the day we leave! Some have to drop out at the last minute and others suddenly have time off (or quit). Last year we went to Kangaroo Island. Not much 4 wheeling to do but still a great place to visit.

BillsGU
26th July 2011, 12:25 PM
I think I have a hema map of fraser so pm you're address and I can send it to you or pick it up on your way through

Thanks for the thought Macca - but I ordered one on line yesterday - should be here tomorrow. I want to scan it and use it in OziExplorer.

macca86
26th July 2011, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the thought Macca - but I ordered one on line yesterday - should be here tomorrow. I want to scan it and use it in OziExplorer.

it's big need to scan it in parts mine folds out to 3 x A4 pages lengthways and 2 x A4 pages wide

Silver
26th July 2011, 07:04 PM
Very nice summary scotty, although yes bribie is somewhat boring, and very lame compared to the other places talked about, i still like to go there, my kids love to go play in the second cutting washout, plus i enjoy waiting for the incomming tide to watch the "un educated" drive through deep water.

Ive seen heaps of cars come to grief , such as this fellow in a brand new (less than 2 months old) GT Forester........

(first pic by my son)
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/scoobyfail.jpg

and this kia..

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/Bribewash.jpg

This guy got though ok....:D

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/Bribiewash2-1.jpg

Its great for taking pics there too.:049:

Lucky the bloke in the Patrol has Alvey reels, they can cope better with salt water and sand :-)

Silver
26th July 2011, 07:10 PM
a lot of car washes up here recycle water - boats and trailers and 4wds being washed down makes me wonder how salty the water gets.

04OFF
1st August 2011, 09:10 AM
Thats a good point Silver, cant vouch for the others, but the rainbow beach wash does use fresh water to wash under cars, no point washing salt water/sand off with salt water.

BillsGU, I might be travelling to Fraser in the next month for quick visit, will be passing Orchid Beach if i go,(ill post it in trips section) , i wont have heaps of time, but let me know if you want specific info gathered for your trip and ill see what i can do.

element88
1st August 2011, 08:53 PM
gday mate,I do tours on the island all year round....in toyotas alot of the time due to the fact there not my vehicles:)...its a piece of cake,just gotta watch out for the local fisherman and the silly tourists that cant drive lol..gets a bit tight around indian head and champaign plus ipwards if ur not use to it but im sure youl be right..if ur up there those dates il more than likely be on a tour but would love to catch up with some members and see how the trips going..? any how orchid will be good round that time,alot of tailor and a great bit of weather..

BillsGU
1st August 2011, 09:51 PM
Thats a good point Silver, cant vouch for the others, but the rainbow beach wash does use fresh water to wash under cars, no point washing salt water/sand off with salt water.

BillsGU, I might be travelling to Fraser in the next month for quick visit, will be passing Orchid Beach if i go,(ill post it in trips section) , i wont have heaps of time, but let me know if you want specific info gathered for your trip and ill see what i can do.

Any info is good. As I said - I have not been on the island before.

BillsGU
1st August 2011, 09:56 PM
gday mate,I do tours on the island all year round....in toyotas alot of the time due to the fact there not my vehicles:)...its a piece of cake,just gotta watch out for the local fisherman and the silly tourists that cant drive lol..gets a bit tight around indian head and champaign plus ipwards if ur not use to it but im sure youl be right..if ur up there those dates il more than likely be on a tour but would love to catch up with some members and see how the trips going..? any how orchid will be good round that time,alot of tailor and a great bit of weather..

Sounds good. I have driven on sand a number of times - Stockton, Robe, Beachport and a lot of desert sand and dune driving - but I'm not sure about the tides up there. No doubt there will be plenty of info available. One thing - where do you usually buy groceries (meat, beer etc)? Is there a store at Orchid Beach and are the prices reasonable - or do we bring it all with us?

macca86
2nd August 2011, 06:33 PM
Sounds good. I have driven on sand a number of times - Stockton, Robe, Beachport and a lot of desert sand and dune driving - but I'm not sure about the tides up there. No doubt there will be plenty of info available. One thing - where do you usually buy groceries (meat, beer etc)? Is there a store at Orchid Beach and are the prices reasonable - or do we bring it all with us?

are you getting to the island via inskip point or hervey bay? I'd buy it at gympie for inskip point and leave it till hervey bay if going across from there as everything on the island is super expensive(captive market and transport costs)

BillsGU
2nd August 2011, 07:55 PM
are you getting to the island via inskip point or hervey bay? I'd buy it at gympie for inskip point and leave it till hervey bay if going across from there as everything on the island is super expensive(captive market and transport costs)

Thanks Macca. We will be going via Inskip Point. Looks like we will have to get as much as possible in Gympie. What I would like to know is for things like meat, milk, bread and such - is this available at Orchid Beach?

04OFF
3rd August 2011, 08:02 AM
Thanks Macca. We will be going via Inskip Point. Looks like we will have to get as much as possible in Gympie. What I would like to know is for things like meat, milk, bread and such - is this available at Orchid Beach?

What macca said ^, take what you can carry so you dont have to purchase much on the island, and fill up with fuel @ rainbow beach.

You can get a variety of food stuffs (as well as nice pie's and a beer) at Orchid Beach HERE (http://www.orchidbeachrentals.com/store.htm)

(i dont remember the shelving/stock looking quite that full in reality, lol)

You can ring them a few weeks in advance of your trip, advise them of your large group requirements, this will give you a better chance of finding what you want "in stock".

Another thing while we're talking food, the Eurong Beach Resort puts on a fantastic all you can eat lunchtime Buffet, tour buses take tourists there for lunch, (so can get busy), but if you can get in early its well worth going to.

Eurong Resort (http://www.eurong.com.au/index.html)

Eurong has a shop and fuel as well...

BillsGU
3rd August 2011, 03:57 PM
What macca said ^, take what you can carry so you dont have to purchase much on the island, and fill up with fuel @ rainbow beach.

You can get a variety of food stuffs (as well as nice pie's and a beer) at Orchid Beach HERE (http://www.orchidbeachrentals.com/store.htm)

(i dont remember the shelving/stock looking quite that full in reality, lol)

You can ring them a few weeks in advance of your trip, advise them of your large group requirements, this will give you a better chance of finding what you want "in stock".

Another thing while we're talking food, the Eurong Beach Resort puts on a fantastic all you can eat lunchtime Buffet, tour buses take tourists there for lunch, (so can get busy), but if you can get in early its well worth going to.

Eurong Resort (http://www.eurong.com.au/index.html)

Eurong has a shop and fuel as well...

Thanks again - great advice.

04OFF
8th August 2011, 11:06 AM
As one of my cousins (out backpacking from the UK) is staying with us for a few weeks, we thought its only right we take her to see Fraser Island, its a tedious task i know, but thats the kinda guy i am :tease:

We will be on Fraser 10-12th of September, my plan is to do a trip up to the sandy cape lighthouse on the sunday (11th) we would welcome another vehicle to travel this area if anyone feels like seeing the lighthouse.

(hope you dont mind me posting this here BillsGU)

BillsGU
8th August 2011, 03:09 PM
Leave it for another month and I'll be there !!! Sorted out my maps today. Scanned the Fraser map and put it into OziExplorer. Very handy.

04OFF
9th August 2011, 08:21 AM
Leave it for another month and I'll be there !!!.

He-he, i would love to mate, but my cus may have already left for Sydney by then !

04OFF
14th September 2011, 01:28 PM
Ok so had a great time over there, and i must say, Sandy Cape and the Lighthouse is 100% worth the trip, the walk up to the lighthouse from the beach is 1.2Ks (take heaps of water) its a pretty steep walk, but our 5yr old did it without complaining too much.

Some pic's can be found in my "04OFF Pic's" thread.

The Manta Ray Barge now owns the Fraser Explorer (the other white barge), i find it quite ironic really, the amount of times ive read ads saying "keep competition alive by supporting the local Manta Ray Fraser Island Barge Service"......... so we all did, and then they can afford to buy out the competition, and so barge prices now jump up by a extra $10 (now $100 return)

There was a big queue (both sides) to get on the barge (they did have 2 barges running) we had about a 30min wait.

All the tracks we saw on Fraser were open and in good condition, Eli Creek was harder to pass at higher tides than ive seen it before, but still passable, the last water hole on Waddy beach, had a nice little dip that saw water over the bonnet, so use caution (and a snorkel, lol)

Ngkala rocks bypass track is a little rutted and has very soft sand, standard Patrol will be OK, soft-roaders may struggle, the rest of the trip north was easy.

Of course, all these conditions could change so take care ! :smile:

BillsGU
15th September 2011, 10:12 AM
Ok so had a great time over there, and i must say, Sandy Cape and the Lighthouse is 100% worth the trip, the walk up to the lighthouse from the beach is 1.2Ks (take heaps of water) its a pretty steep walk, but our 5yr old did it without complaining too much.

Some pic's can be found in my "04OFF Pic's" thread.

The Manta Ray Barge now owns the Fraser Explorer (the other white barge), i find it quite ironic really, the amount of times ive read ads saying "keep competition alive by supporting the local Manta Ray Fraser Island Barge Service"......... so we all did, and then they can afford to buy out the competition, and so barge prices now jump up by a extra $10 (now $100 return)

There was a big queue (both sides) to get on the barge (they did have 2 barges running) we had about a 30min wait.

All the tracks we saw on Fraser were open and in good condition, Eli Creek was harder to pass at higher tides than ive seen it before, but still passable, the last water hole on Waddy beach, had a nice little dip that saw water over the bonnet, so use caution (and a snorkel, lol)

Ngkala rocks bypass track is a little rutted and has very soft sand, standard Patrol will be OK, soft-roaders may struggle, the rest of the trip north was easy.

Of course, all these conditions could change so take care ! :smile:

Thanks for the info - time is getting close and we are looking forward to the trip.

04OFF
15th September 2011, 08:55 PM
Also forgot to mention i saw lots of washouts, but no fly's this time !

Are you guys planning to travel up to Fraser (or back) via Teewah /Double Island Point and Rainbow Beach route ?

Its a little extra planning, but would be a shame to miss these after travelling so far !

Let me know if any of the group pikes out, might tempt me/talk about coming up for a couple of days again ???

BillsGU
18th September 2011, 01:19 PM
Also forgot to mention i saw lots of washouts, but no fly's this time !

Are you guys planning to travel up to Fraser (or back) via Teewah /Double Island Point and Rainbow Beach route ?

Its a little extra planning, but would be a shame to miss these after travelling so far !

Let me know if any of the group pikes out, might tempt me/talk about coming up for a couple of days again ???

We are all towing vans so we will be going via Gympie. We are staying at Standown prior to going on to Fraser.

BillsGU
2nd November 2011, 12:42 PM
Well - we are finally back !! Had a GREAT time on Fraser. Driving on the beach was a bit daunting the first couple of days - but once we got a handle on the tides and the best place to drive on the beach, it was all OK from there on. Thanks for all the input over the last couple of months. The information you guys supplied was very helpful.

04OFF
2nd November 2011, 01:57 PM
Great stuff, glad you all had a good trip, thanks for the feedback.

Now, wheres the PIC's ! :)

ha-ha

BillsGU
7th November 2011, 08:41 PM
My crappy pics can't compete with yours !!!! Just refer to your pics - I went to the same place remember!!

04OFF
8th November 2011, 11:51 AM
He-he, thanks Bill, i do still enjoy others holiday snaps , and i was kinda looking forward to one showing all the cars, (as im sure others would) plus be a great way to finish off the thread :049:

It is YOUR thread, so you post whatever pics you wan't, they don't all have to be perfect, and someone who has not been to Fraser will get enjoyment out of them regardless :cheers:

frenzy
8th November 2011, 10:17 PM
C'mon! Trip report please!!!!

nowoolies
9th November 2011, 12:23 AM
and apart from the trip report ........................piccies we luv piccies ....so where are they hahahah

MudMap
2nd October 2013, 02:55 PM
Hi Everyone,

We have put together a very thorough guide covering Fraser Island. The guide includes best campsites, attractions, getting on and off the Island, maps, preparation and Dingo safety. It also has some great tips written by our Facebook community. Anyone visiting Fraser Island is welcome to check it out here: http://blog.mud-maps.com/blog/2013/category/fraser-island-4wd-guide

I hope this helps everyone hoping to explore Fraser.

Warm Wishes,
Maria from MUDMAP

Yendor
2nd October 2013, 05:24 PM
Hi Everyone,

We have put together a very thorough guide covering Fraser Island. The guide includes best campsites, attractions, getting on and off the Island, maps, preparation and Dingo safety. It also has some great tips written by our Facebook community. Anyone visiting Fraser Island is welcome to check it out here:

I hope this helps everyone hoping to explore Fraser.

Warm Wishes,
Maria from MUDMAP

Nice thread dig........are you a paid sponsor?