PDA

View Full Version : Second Battery

belzi82
20th July 2011, 05:24 PM
Hi everyone,

I am thinking about getting a second battery - are they easy to install myself or should I get it installed by a professional?

Also what brand dual battery kit would you recommend??

Cheers Bel

nowoolies
20th July 2011, 05:36 PM
Hi everyone,

I am thinking about getting a second battery - are they easy to install myself or should I get it installed by a professional?

Also what brand dual battery kit would you recommend??

Cheers Bel
g`day mate
i have a Redarc system in my bus for my second battery
and unless your good with tools get a auto sparky to fit it out
lots less hastles

Woof
20th July 2011, 06:44 PM
I too have a Redarc system and my second battery is a Thumper

Russell1974
20th July 2011, 07:00 PM
I have a red arc as well but am going over to the paranha system cause it has the ability to put a solar panel in as well all depends on how much u want to spend its not terribly hard to fit in depending on what tray u use and what engine u have as to were u can put it depending on were u r in melb could give u a hand over a few cans

Dhuck
20th July 2011, 08:40 PM
Seems to that rearc must be the go. I have one as well. Just make sure than no matter what brand you get, that both batteries are earthed sufficiently

patch697
21st July 2011, 03:34 PM
Before costing out a duel battery system you really need to determine what you intend to use your duel battery system for????

e.g. Powering a Caravan/camper & even some larger fridge/freezer units over long periods may require the use of a Deep cycle Battery for slower discharge. However A Deep cycle battery is not suitable in a duel start setup as they are not designed to the a cranking battery.

A duel start system is where a duel battery system can be linked together via a solenoid to provide power from both batteries to the cars main electrical system on start up in times when the main/primary battery become under charged & is no longer viable.

However, with a little foresight & the right battery choice you can achieve a good compromise to enable you to run both systems mentioned above. but it really will depend on your intended use of your duel battery system.

After you have decided on which system is going to best suit your needs, you can then start looking at what will be required to obtain your goal.

I would strongly recommend a duel battery system be installed by a professional or someone with good knowledge & work practices because if incorrectly installed they could cause a great deal of damage to your Patrol.

If you need any help deciding which system will suit you best. Post back here & we can help you take it from there.

Regards
Paul

my third 256
22nd July 2011, 09:58 AM
shop around for the tray i got mine at arb for $117 tjm wanted $179 and ebay is about $170 approx as well

patch697
22nd July 2011, 10:00 AM
shop around for the tray i got mine at arb for $117 tjm wanted $179 and ebay is about $170 approx as well

Or find a good mate from here with one & copy he's................LMFAO

belzi82
22nd July 2011, 09:06 PM
Or find a good mate from here with one & copy he's................LMFAO

Whose should I copy???

patch697
22nd July 2011, 10:37 PM
Whose should I copy???

We can ask if anyone here has one you could get copied.... If mine will fit I'll copy it for you But im not sure if it will coming from a GQ & yours being a GU???

Can anyone answer this one?????

BundyDave
24th July 2011, 06:23 PM
Hi Patch697

I have a GQ just bought a GU a little while ago transferred dual battery over. All leads were correct length had to get new battery box, also got mine from ARB cheaper and also powdercoated. Had to locate isolator in different position but that was pretty much all.

patch697
24th July 2011, 06:37 PM
Hi Patch697

I have a GQ just bought a GU a little while ago transferred dual battery over. All leads were correct length had to get new battery box, also got mine from ARB cheaper and also powdercoated. Had to locate isolator in different position but that was pretty much all.

Cheers for that..... whether the battery carriers interchanged was the bit of interest to me but as you brought a new one for the GU im tipping not.