PDA

View Full Version : looking at 2001 GU 3.0L, auto, 260,000km - what should i loook for?

scotty83
18th July 2011, 09:30 PM
friend is looking at the above. i have an 05 trol manual so not really sure what to watch out for at 260,000kms and auto

Woof
18th July 2011, 09:48 PM
Me personally, I would not touch it....unless the price is right.

Dark 1
19th July 2011, 12:03 AM
Yeh bud keep looking.

patch697
19th July 2011, 12:19 AM
"What should I look for???".......... Another one for starters.......

scotty83
19th July 2011, 06:18 AM
looks like it has been fitted with NADS. still an issue??

the godfather
19th July 2011, 03:15 PM
The issues are the gear box, this is the model that 5th gear fails, and the grenade factor. NADS done so that is good. The owner is obviously PATROL savy. If gauges are fitted and your mate is machanically aware he should be fine with it. FYI: I own one and apart from the gear box I have had no issues. A new one would be nice, but depends on what he can afford.

teleman
25th July 2011, 07:49 PM
Well, it seems like a lot people say dont bother. I beg to differ. If this is the one that stood out to you, its definitely worth a look.
Mine is the same but manual and much less K's. If there's oe thing id look for, it would be vibration.
If there is vibration through the body as you accelerate through the rev range, i would think twice.
Happy hunting!

Chaz
25th July 2011, 08:20 PM
The K’s are quite high, but that should reflect in the price. If it’s had NADS fitted early enough, it should be ok. The only issue I would look into is if the transmission is original or has been overhauled yet. No 5th gear issues with the autos, but 260K is getting close to the auto’s serviceable life unless it’s had some mods. Still, if the price is right, an auto overhaul may be no issue.

the godfather
25th July 2011, 10:52 PM
Only other thing I would look for is rust. Seems they rust under the rear plastic moulding on the floor at the rear doors. More an issue if it was owned by a fisher man or surfer.

scotty83
26th July 2011, 08:27 PM
Have checked out this car. It is in good condition and drives well. friend has purchased. YAY another patrolee. Thanks everyone for your advise. now for a few good days 4wding.

patch697
26th July 2011, 08:37 PM
Have checked out this car. It is in good condition and drives well. friend has purchased. YAY another patrolee. Thanks everyone for your advise. now for a few good days 4wding.

Best off luck to your friend & be sure to invite him/her/them to join the forum.......(a little plug there...lol)