PDA

View Full Version : Caravan information needed

Maxhead
18th July 2011, 07:10 PM
Hey all.

I have decided to ditch the camper trailer and opted for a caravan instead. Got sick of setting up, packing up wet, listening to the wind flap and rain noise.....
Must be getting lazy or old or something...LOL
Don't get me wrong as I reckon the campers are great and definitely have their purpose.

As a family of 4 we are looking at an Expanda type van which would give us some extra room .
I'll be looking at the off road series in a van as we'll still want to use it light off road to an extent.

The vans we have shortlisted are:
Jayco Expanda 18.57-8
Coromal MT540
Paramount Duet Utility

What I would like to ask is if anyone has any experiences with any of these I would like to hear your feedback.

By all means if you can suggest any other caravan feel free to do so. We're in early stages of looking so any advise, tips or suggestions would be appreciated

Cheers in advance

twisty
19th July 2011, 06:54 PM
Thanks NissPat,

I'll watch this thread with interest. We've come to the same conclusion. The only difference is there is only the two of us (all kids are grown and gone). We considered a hard floor camper but the roof is (of course) still canvas. Are you buying new or second hand? we haven't decided and are in no rush. I'd spend $20k but that really limits me to second hand.

Bigrig
19th July 2011, 07:08 PM
I'll be watching with interest also - I've got 4 kids to cater for and if I can squeeze them into something the size of a broom closet in order to avoid setting up and packing up, I bloody well will !!!!! lmfao

Maxhead
19th July 2011, 09:25 PM
I'm going to post this up on one of the caravan forms to see the feedback and might post up here.

I think I have ruled out the Paramount as it is a wooden frame and also I emailed them 2 days ago with a couple of questions and the have not responded.. If they don't want to sell you a van imagine if you have problems with it after purchase...

Twisty, I'll be buying new as I want to customize this van so I will be making a fair few factory modifications to the van at factory.

twisty
20th July 2011, 07:36 PM
I will be making a fair few factory modifications to the van at factory.

Now I'm curious! what mods? And what caravan forum?

Maxhead
22nd July 2011, 01:28 PM
Now I'm curious! what mods? And what caravan forum?

Hey Twisty, I suppose not major mods but option upgrades as well as some little tweaks.

This is what I'm looking at:
Expanda 18.57-8
Outback series - stronger chassis,underslung axle,etc,etc,etc
Simplicity Independent Suspension
16 inch wheels
Full oven
Ibis AC
Privacy screens
Roll out awning + Add a room option
100amp battery + provision for 1 extra
Anderson plug at front for charging from car
Control Panel - 2 water tank levels and charging circuit display and some switches.
Wind up antenna
120W solar + provision for 2nd panel
Stainless Steel pull out BBQ
CD radio with internal and external speakers
Cooling fan for fridge - to make it a tropical rating(18-38deg I think)
Drop jacks
Picnic Table
Rego and on road costs (ACT)
TV mount
Double bed kit for lounge
Tregg hitch

I have asked them to use RG6 quad shield coax and solder all connections and joints. Also asked they use double the sealant(at my cost) to make sure definitely no leaks.
I've asked for UV filtered or tinted skylight in shower to minimise discolouration.

I've also asked to see if I can watch it being built in the factory..LOL. They have tours available but I only did it to make sure they are aware I don't want any stuff-ups with build quality.

It would be impossible to find something with this configuration this second hand

Should be good

katwoman
22nd July 2011, 10:31 PM
This is my ideal tourer..( one day)

twisty
22nd July 2011, 11:20 PM
Thanks NissPat, great list! I'm keen on solar power as well. Of course facilities are dependant on requirements and I've been without a "shower" for months (in my younger days), but SHMBO demands a more permenant solution :-). As it's just the two of us, requirements are not as demanding. I'm happy to modify a second hander. My requirements are simpler: remote use for 3 days (power, water, food etc) and a queen size bed! (I'm getting to old for "camping").

Katwoman, it looks like it's made in the US of A. Probably get bogged in the first mud spot :-) However, I get the point. Park, then play :thumbup:

katwoman
22nd July 2011, 11:23 PM
Thanks NissPat, great list! I'm keen on solar power as well. Of course facilities are dependant on requirements and I've been without a "shower" for months (in my younger days), but SHMBO demands a more permenant solution :-). As it's just the two of us, requirements are not as demanding. I'm happy to modify a second hander. My requirements are simpler: remote use for 3 days (power, water, food etc) and a queen size bed! (I'm getting to old for "camping").

Katwoman, it looks like it's made in the US of A. Probably get bogged in the first mud spot :-) However, I get the point. Park, then play :thumbup:

Yes, mate it is..But it would look great on the back of Katrol....

twisty
22nd July 2011, 11:28 PM
[/B]

Yes, mate it is..But it would look great on the back of Katrol....

Perhaps the Kat flaps would fit the trailer ... hahahahahahaha ... sorry :rolleyes: back to caravans :-)

Maxhead
23rd July 2011, 07:38 AM
This is my ideal tourer..( one day)

Hahah, that would pull some looks cruising around, bloody Yanks!

Maxhead
26th July 2011, 09:00 PM
Well I'll be .......

I've been pricing the above configuration and the prices vary are up to 16k..WTF
All are from Jayco dealers too, makes you wonder how many are out there just to rip someone off!!!

Maxhead
2nd August 2011, 07:46 PM
Well, just a quick update.

The van is ordered and the delivery is due 3rd November..........the waiting game begins.

I have long service leave due next May so I'm starting to plan a big trip up north...I'm thinking Weipa to start of with.

I would love to shoot up through to NT and back through the middle but I don't think 50 days will be enough.... I want to just cruse and relax instead of just driving.

AB
2nd August 2011, 08:01 PM

The van is ordered and the delivery is due 3rd November..........the waiting game begins.

I have long service leave due next May so I'm starting to plan a big trip up north...I'm thinking Weipa to start of with.

I would love to shoot up through to NT and back through the middle but I don't think 50 days will be enough.... I want to just cruse and relax instead of just driving.

Photos Kris, photos...lol

Check out our playground we installed up at Weipa too, Literally cost a small fortune to barge it across the top in the wet season!!!

Maxhead
2nd August 2011, 08:19 PM
Photos Kris, photos...lol

Check out our playground we installed up at Weipa too, Literally cost a small fortune to barge it across the top in the wet season!!!

Mate, I've got to get there first LOLOLO.
I tell you what the next 3 months are going to drag on and then the next 6 or 7 are going to be even longer...

No doubt I will be lookin and checking out everthing on my trip including playground gear...I can wait for Weipa...haha

I had a look at your work here in Canberra at my boys school, looks like a top product everyone should buy.
Choose - http://www.imaginationplay.com.au/

AB
2nd August 2011, 08:38 PM
Mate, I've got to get there first LOLOLO.
I tell you what the next 3 months are going to drag on and then the next 6 or 7 are going to be even longer...

No doubt I will be lookin and checking out everthing on my trip including playground gear...I can wait for Weipa...haha

I had a look at your work here in Canberra at my boys school, looks like a top product everyone should buy.
Choose - http://www.imaginationplay.com.au/

Cheers mate, free plug...lol...we're doing artificial grass now too...www.gorillagrass.com.au (http://www.gorillagrass.com.au)

Dark 1
2nd August 2011, 10:52 PM

Sorry Kris i haven't been keeping tabs on this thread mate. What van did you end up going with. We are hopefully picking ours up mid september.

Maxhead
3rd August 2011, 10:30 AM
Sorry Kris i haven't been keeping tabs on this thread mate. What van did you end up going with. We are hopefully picking ours up mid september.

Lucky you, we have to wait till November...
The van will be the 18.57-8 with a couple of extras....can't wait.

Guido
28th August 2011, 07:01 PM
I posted this in another thread and though it might be of interest in this one too....

Interesting article in the Sunday Mail (Adelaide) today about dodgey caravan manufacturers. Appartently anyone can set them selves up as a caravan builder. The problem is that a number of them are not manufacturing to accepted engineering design principles. Instances where peope have paid large amounts of money (high $90,000) to have a van built and when gone to have it registered - to have it rejected.
In other instances it would seem the caravan manufacturer is able to get them registered without having them independantly certified.
As one would get someone with some pretty good mechanical knowledge expereince to run the slide ruler over a car they're thinking of buying - the rule also holds good for caravans.
I'm not sure whether I would have all that much faith in the industry associations - as it would apear that it is self regulatory.

AB
28th August 2011, 08:49 PM
I posted this in another thread and though it might be of interest in this one too....

Interesting article in the Sunday Mail (Adelaide) today about dodgey caravan manufacturers. Appartently anyone can set them selves up as a caravan builder. The problem is that a number of them are not manufacturing to accepted engineering design principles. Instances where peope have paid large amounts of money (high $90,000) to have a van built and when gone to have it registered - to have it rejected.
In other instances it would seem the caravan manufacturer is able to get them registered without having them independantly certified.
As one would get someone with some pretty good mechanical knowledge expereince to run the slide ruler over a car they're thinking of buying - the rule also holds good for caravans.
I'm not sure whether I would have all that much faith in the industry associations - as it would apear that it is self regulatory.

Geez, you would be out for blood if you paid 90k and couldn't register it...