PDA

View Full Version : Interior LED globe choices GQ wagon

paulthekelly
17th July 2011, 10:49 PM
G'day Patrollies,

I have a 91 GQ wagon and wanted to upgrade the interior lights to those super bright LED interiors.
Whats the popular choice for the front and rear?
I have been looking at some of thos units on Ebay that have 12 LEDs in a block and then a variety of adaptors. Are these any good?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DOME-8-LED-CAR-INTERIOR-BULB-LAMP-LIGHT-C5W-39mm-12V-/270772280180?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f0b491b74#ht_3787wt_1141 (maybe for the front)
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Car-Interior-Dome-12-SMD-LED-Bulb-Lamp-Light-adaptors-/280574404569?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item415389a7d9#ht_3602wt_946 (for the rear)
Ideas? What are you guys running?
PK

patch697
17th July 2011, 11:12 PM
You can also by them direct from Jaycar & most auto parts supplier have them these days as well

Silver
17th July 2011, 11:24 PM
Dark1 (?) on here sells LEDs as well, and some of the newer members seem to be interested in that line as well.

I agree that more light would be great, especially in the cargo area, ideally triggered by the barn door, and not one of the rear passengers. Doable, but would take some work, and down the list a bit

Airstrike
17th July 2011, 11:53 PM
There is only ao much you can get out of those Bulb replacements. I would suggest spend the extra 20 bucks and replace the fitting with an LED 4 or 6 LED roof dome light. I think bigrig has one installed in the rear of his wagon. The light is 2nd to none.

Silver
17th July 2011, 11:55 PM
no doubt that that LED technology is moving ahead in leaps and bounds, ama2ing! BigRig has a few nice LED lights

patch697
17th July 2011, 11:55 PM
Dark1 (?) on here sells LEDs as well, and some of the newer members seem to be interested in that line as well.

I agree that more light would be great, especially in the cargo area, ideally triggered by the barn door, and not one of the rear passengers. Doable, but would take some work, and down the list a bit

It takes to thirds of bugger all Silver & if you like I'll come do the job for you when I go up to do Bigrigs truck.

Silver
18th July 2011, 01:44 AM
It takes to thirds of bugger all Silver & if you like I'll come do the job for you when I go up to do Bigrigs truck.

I'll bring a carton Patch, what's your poison [better not be a carton of $2000 Cognac :-), gulp ]

I've got some pretty good LED strip lights through a leccie neighbour who is interested in such things, but a nice round light to replace the back one would be good. I've already got one in each fitting from jJaycar, from memory 4 leds by 5 or so, that plug in and rest on the cover/diffuser.

Be good to see someone from South Aus up here. Makes a change from the Mexican clan we met at Landcruiser Mountain Park - Kat and family :-)

patch697
18th July 2011, 02:07 AM
I'll bring a carton Patch, what's your poison [better not be a carton of $2000 Cognac :-), gulp ]

I've got some pretty good LED strip lights through a leccie neighbour who is interested in such things, but a nice round light to replace the back one would be good. I've already got one in each fitting from jJaycar, from memory 4 leds by 5 or so, that plug in and rest on the cover/diffuser.

Be good to see someone from South Aus up here. Makes a change from the Mexican clan we met at Landcruiser Mountain Park - Kat and family :-)

hahahahahaha.............. No need for a carton mate its not that bigger job & I'll do your barn door trigger while im at it & if you need anything else looked at just make a list.

Silver
18th July 2011, 02:10 AM
hahahahahaha.............. No need for a carton mate its not that bigger job & I'll do your barn door trigger while im at it & if you need anything else looked at just make a list.

Crikey, that's kind, maybe a beer and a steak at Breakfast Creek would be in order?

Silver
18th July 2011, 02:11 AM
no more chat!! Bed for this old fart!!! :-)

paulthekelly
19th July 2011, 12:50 AM
Cheers guys. It seems I'm on the right path. I'll grab one of those 4x5 sets of ebay and go from there. I'l post a before and after pic for comparison.
PK

zmaster
23rd July 2011, 03:52 PM
The Jaycar ones are awsome, they have two types, ZD 0483 is the better one, hope this helps.

Zoro

fixer982
28th July 2011, 11:19 AM
Thumper on here does a set with CNC cut plates and connectors that fit directly into the bulb sockets. He does them for both the interior lights (2 on my Ti) and the overhead map lights, and they are great. Took me about 10 minutes to fit the lot as the connecters just go into the bulb socket then the CNC plate with the LEDs on it just snaps into the interior light housing.