PDA

View Full Version : new front springs or spacers?

buzz
16th July 2011, 06:54 PM
hey guys, i'm about to swap the hideous lump of alloy on the front of my GU4 wagon to a factory steel winch bar and 12000lb winch. i know i probably should get properly rated springs but can i get away with spacers or is this just dumb? if i go with new springs, what rating or part number should i get? i currently run a 2" dobinson coil and bilstein shock ensemble. advice greatly appreciated.

ta
jamie

growler2058
16th July 2011, 08:22 PM
hey guys, i'm about to swap the hideous lump of alloy on the front of my GU4 wagon to a factory steel winch bar and 12000lb winch. i know i probably should get properly rated springs but can i get away with spacers or is this just dumb? if i go with new springs, what rating or part number should i get? i currently run a 2" dobinson coil and bilstein shock ensemble. advice greatly appreciated.

ta
jamie

Mate spend smart once than dumb twice as the saying goes!! Get urself some springs appropriate to the weight u intend putting on em otherwise in my opinion it will only cause other issues later :-)

fixer982
21st July 2011, 03:13 PM

ta
jamieHey Buzz, I put new shocks and 50mm spacers in a couple of weeks ago, with my 240,000k springs and they worked fine. I didn't have any lift in before thou, so you would probably get away with 20 or 30mm spacers. The experts on here should be able to tell you more. If your springs and newish, then I wouldn't change them. Just my 2c worth of course and I am not a mechanic, as everyone here will tell you, I am sure.

macka17
31st July 2011, 06:02 PM
Hi.

We live in Yeppoon. Dobinsons are in Rocky.
Most 4wders round here go elsewhere for theirs.
Expensive. and not the best.

I put Kings in mine 2 in lift Progressive rate.
6 yrs now. Do corrugations for around 4 months every yr. with a 6.5 mtr off road van on back.
Along with the ETC comp shocks. the ride is still beaut.

macka17

XTC
31st July 2011, 08:04 PM
I had 2" lifted Dobinson coils in my Patrol for many years, and it wasn't until I fitted a winch to the front that the coils began to sag a little. I fitted 30mm coil spacers for a while however eventually the coils began to bind (close up) on large bumps which isn't ideal. I have since fitted new Dobinson coils of a heavier rate to carry the load.

IMHO coil spacers are a bit of a band-aid solution to saggy suspension, and eventually need replacing with suitable coils.

buzz
3rd August 2011, 06:39 PM
hey guys, thanks for all the advice. i picked up a set of 2" C45-134 DOBINSONS from suspension stuff today.

jamie

Bob
3rd August 2011, 06:40 PM
hey guys, thanks for all the advice. i picked up a set of 2" C45-134 DOBINSONS from suspension stuff today.

jamie

Thanks for letting us know.

growler2058
3rd August 2011, 06:45 PM

jamie

Dont forget some foters mate hahahaha

Havoc
7th August 2011, 12:28 PM
[QUOTE=buzz;112828]hey guys, i'm about to swap the hideous lump of alloy on the front of my GU4 wagon to a factory steel winch bar and 12000lb winch. i know i probably should get properly rated springs but can i get away with spacers or is this just dumb? if i go with new springs, what rating or part number should i get? i currently run a 2" dobinson coil and bilstein shock ensemble. advice greatly appreciated.

ta

dont muck around with spacers, do it right the first time, fit the correct suspention to your rig. while at it think about the shocks and all that to, you'll be impressed with the new handling

buzz
7th August 2011, 05:30 PM
Dont forget some foters mate hahahaha

not sure how to post a pic mate, was asking me for URL when i click on insert image, my pics have no URL. will keep trying.

jamie

Clunk
7th August 2011, 05:34 PM
not sure how to post a pic mate, was asking me for URL when i click on insert image, my pics have no URL. will keep trying.

jamie

if theyre on your computer, click on advanced, then the little paperclip simple, you can then up load them from there but you've got to make sure your pics are below a certain size

buzz
7th August 2011, 05:40 PM
ah ok, thanks mate, i'll resize and post.

jamie

buzz
7th August 2011, 05:49 PM
couple of pics with the new coils in the front, winch hasn't gone in yet but should still sit nice tho.

jamie

growler2058
7th August 2011, 05:55 PM
Nice clean unit buzz

buzz
7th August 2011, 06:05 PM
a little to clean perhaps. :)

growler2058
7th August 2011, 06:07 PM
Youll get her dirty soon enough mate hahahahahahaha its inevitable

Clunk
7th August 2011, 06:08 PM
nice looking rig mate and yes does look like it needs dirtying up a little ....lol