PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Headlight/Indicator Stalk 97GQ

MC97GQ
13th July 2011, 06:29 PM
Hi All,

Just a quick note to let you know how easy it is to change one of these, despite what the Gregory's manual says you do not need to remove the steering wheel.

All you do is undo the 6 screws on the underside of the steering column cover, lower the tilt adjust lever drop the column and the two halves should come apart.

Undo the two screws holding the stalk in place unplug the wiring loom and do the opposite to install the new switch.

Took me about ten minutes and is going to save me a world of pain as the old switch was stuffed.

Hope this helps

Mark

MC97GQ
16th July 2011, 05:29 PM
Just another thought to all who might decide to upgrade their bulbs in a GQ, "DONT" unless you intend to rewire your headlight arrangement, put some new bulbs in today, when I replaced the old ones they were 55/100W H4 Halogens(Original are 55/60W), no wonder the switch was stuffed and the plugs for the lights were near on melted and burnt.

Take the time to fit relays for high and low beam, it's not that hard and it will be worth it in the end.

Mark

Conradk
22nd November 2012, 12:37 AM
Many thanks for the help and advice. This forum is amazing with so much useful information contained in all the threads. Tonight I will give it a bash and see what I find.

Conradk
22nd November 2012, 06:39 PM
Thanks for all the guidance. Managed to remove the switch, check it out and then put everything back together again in about 10 minutes. Turns out the switch was fine but it was a good learning for me and also confirmed that working on the column switches is quick and easy (without having to remove the steeering). Problem eventually turns out to be a dodgy relay (after-market fit) which I found by accident when I was fiddling around the relays whilst the high beams were on - I heard a click and suddenly the offending dead circuit lit up! Thanks for the help guys.

Yendor
22nd November 2012, 06:46 PM
Thanks for all the guidance. Managed to remove the switch, check it out and then put everything back together again in about 10 minutes. Turns out the switch was fine but it was a good learning for me and also confirmed that working on the column switches is quick and easy (without having to remove the steeering). Problem eventually turns out to be a dodgy relay (after-market fit) which I found by accident when I was fiddling around the relays whilst the high beams were on - I heard a click and suddenly the offending dead circuit lit up! Thanks for the help guys.

Good job mate.

It's always very satisfying when you are able to find and repair the problem yourself, well done.

MC97GQ
22nd November 2012, 07:17 PM
Nice one ConradK,

When I posted this original thread I was very new to Patrols, and with the help of some very knowledgeable people here I sorted my problem.

I am glad it was of use to you and that you got your problem sorted.

Take care

Mark

gubigfish
5th September 2014, 11:35 AM
cheers buddy just did mine then gonna give everything a good clean before I put her back together.

gec
5th September 2014, 03:27 PM
Also if your looking to replace your switch I have found some that are much cheaper than Nissan, still a genuine part. i have just replaced mine.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Indicator-Blinker-Headlight-Switch-Patrol-GQ-Y60-Wagon-Genuine-New-Stalk-Safari-/400763907790?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ANissan&hash=item5d4f63eece

Clunk
5th September 2014, 03:49 PM
Just be wary if buying a new switch, my 93 GQ uses the switch GEC posted, my 94 GQ has stalks that are completely round and the switch h has an extra plug socket for the for the ignition key illumination ring

gec
5th September 2014, 04:44 PM
Just be wary if buying a new switch, my 93 GQ uses the switch GEC posted, my 94 GQ has stalks that are completely round and the switch h has an extra plug socket for the for the ignition key illumination ring

Yep thats true Clunk, they also sell others on the same shop, just do a search because they sell a bunch of different ones including the ones for the later GQ's with the lights in the guards that come on with the indicators.