PDA

View Full Version : GQ Patrol TD42 (Brakes)

Hilly94
4th November 2020, 11:53 AM
Hey guys i got a gq td42 with a hard brake pedal
Ive replaced the following items

Multiple Brake boosters
All new vaccume hoses
Bled brakes incase
New vaccum pump
Regreased caliper slides
Has one way valves installed

You get about 2 sometimes 3 presses on the brakes then they go rock hard the clutch also goes hard.

Took my car for a underbody was today and felt my clutch getting funny as i was in there then i come out i had rock hard brakes that didnt want to stop im really lost on what to do has anyone got any ideas for me please

Deano2506
4th November 2020, 08:34 PM
Sounds like it has to be a vacuum leak somewhere.
So they're good for 1st 2 or 3 pumps ???
Leak in vacuum tank maybe?
You could disconnect at alternator or vacuum pump(depending on model),seal it Then put some compressed air in the system and listen for where the leak is.

MB
4th November 2020, 08:48 PM
Youtubey copy test I once trialled, seems to work [emoji23]

https://youtu.be/kpZwpkyhqyg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0-TJ-0
5th November 2020, 07:22 AM
Hey guys i got a gq td42 with a hard brake pedal
Ive replaced the following items

Multiple Brake boosters
All new vaccume hoses
Bled brakes incase
New vaccum pump
Regreased caliper slides
Has one way valves installed

You get about 2 sometimes 3 presses on the brakes then they go rock hard the clutch also goes hard.

Took my car for a underbody was today and felt my clutch getting funny as i was in there then i come out i had rock hard brakes that didnt want to stop im really lost on what to do has anyone got any ideas for me please

Stupid question, but I assume the car is running when you're testing the pedal? You'll never stop it going hard if the car is off.

Definitely vacuum related.

0-TJ-0
5th November 2020, 07:38 AM
Do the pedals go hard if you leave the car sit? As in, when you get in the car in the morning and go for that first clutch press before you start the engine is the pedal always hard?

MudRunnerTD
5th November 2020, 08:46 AM
Vacuum Leak for sure mate. If it affecting your Brakes and Clutch then 100% Vac leak. I had a split tube across the fire wall.

You have replaced the vac pump on the back of the alternator so I would be checking all the Vac lines and also the Vac canister.

Hilly94
6th November 2020, 12:29 AM
Cheers everyone appreciate the feed back took the car to Stop masters brendale today to get a diagnosis and it is leaking vaccum from the clutch booster

mudski
6th November 2020, 07:54 AM
Cheers everyone appreciate the feed back took the car to Stop masters brendale today to get a diagnosis and it is leaking vaccum from the clutch booster

I should have picked that up in your first post with the list of things you had replaced. I used to sell ship loads of clutch booster repair kits for the GQ's when I had my shop. Good to see you have found the issue.

Bidja
6th November 2020, 10:47 AM

Terrific that you came back advising us of the fix. Good to share the joy and all learn from result.

So many do not bother closing the loop _well done.