PDA

View Full Version : Water in lights

DX grunt
3rd August 2010, 09:29 AM
I have water in my right hand indicator light. Been there ever since I bought my troll.
Even in the hot WA heat, it won't evaporate.

Can anybody provide me with step by step instructions on how to remove the water?
I dont want the first step to be..... grasp hammer in right hand......lolol

Timbo
3rd August 2010, 05:18 PM
I used to drill small drain holes in the plastic just where the glass started on all my commodores i've owned.

Haven't got access to a GU headlight right now but maybe look into that and see if there's a place where you can drill a drain hole?

Maxhead
3rd August 2010, 05:23 PM
I think a small hole might work, but the hammer idea is so much more fun. And you get a new light out of it....lol

patch697
4th August 2010, 10:51 AM
Although this will get the water out Im not incline to agree, not on a 4x4 anyway. If you drill a hole for water to get out it can get back in the same way when doing river crossings & the likes & although it may be able to drain back out I would rather stop it from getting in, in the first place.

I don't know how to remove & refit the headlight Assembly Rossco as I've not done one YET but I would suggest to you to remove it to get the water out of the indicator via the glob hole & replace the seal on the loom plug to prevent it from letting water in.

I will see what I can find out about the remove & refit for you.

DX grunt
4th August 2010, 11:09 PM
Although this will get the water out Im not incline to agree, not on a 4x4 anyway. If you drill a hole for water to get out it can get back in the same way when doing river crossings & the likes & although it may be able to drain back out I would rather stop it from getting in, in the first place.

I don't know how to remove & refit the headlight Assembly Rossco as I've not done one YET but I would suggest to you to remove it to get the water out of the indicator via the glob hole & replace the seal on the loom plug to prevent it from letting water in.

I will see what I can find out about the remove & refit for you.

Thanks Paul. The volume of water hasn't changed. I was thinking along the lines of the other guys... drilling a small hole, let the water drain then silastic the hole back up.

patch697
4th August 2010, 11:12 PM
Thanks Paul. The volume of water hasn't changed. I was thinking along the lines of the other guys... drilling a small hole, let the water drain then silastic the hole back up.

Rather than silicon maybe a rubber plug of sorts that way if it happens again tis a quick fix.

DX grunt
4th August 2010, 11:15 PM
Rather than silicon maybe a rubber plug of sorts that way if it happens again tis a quick fix.

Might use the cork from a finished bottle of red ??? Just kidding. Cork does expand when it gets wet though. lol

Alburypete
5th March 2012, 10:07 PM
Any new ideas on this as I have the same problem.

Finly Owner
5th March 2012, 10:42 PM
You can buy rubber bungs similar to grommets.

If you drain the water, and can get your bulbs out, use some electric conductive grease in the socket to prevent rust.

Tim

DX grunt
5th March 2012, 10:46 PM
Any new ideas on this as I have the same problem.

Sorry bloke but I can't help. I just dropped it off at the mechanics and it came back fixed! Forgot to ask how they did it, and the mechanics who fixed it no longer work there.

Rossco

Wine_maker
6th March 2012, 06:05 AM
Hi! I think you have a small hole in your lights or in the sealer and you will always have a water inside the lights after using it.
Sometimes I saw lights that filled a little quantity of brake fluid.
The break fluid is hygroscopic and absorb water from air into lights.
But I'm not shure about safety of plastic inside the lights.