PDA

View Full Version : Tapping into the Alternator/vaccuum pump for oil drain low mount turbo ht18 GU GQ

AB
12th July 2011, 08:29 PM
Not sure if I will get a big response but I really need to know has anyone had success in this?

Using the alternator / vaccuum pump oil drain plug on the front left side of block for a low mount turbo oil drain?

Has anyone done this and been successful?

I have spoken to half a dozen turbo fitters who have been doing this for years and had no problems yet and then I speak to other fitters and 4wd shops who say you shouldn't tap into it as the turbo will back up with oil using the T piece.

I am 95% leaning towards do the job properly and have a clean drain to the sump but just wanted to see what others think or any stories of success / failure?

AB
13th July 2011, 09:22 PM
For the record, I have been asking around Melbourne and obviously this is not the correct way to for the oil drain so please ensure if you do this job make sure you do the job properly and tap into the sump.

Would love to hear of anyone who has tapped into the vaccuum pump and had it running for a few years without a hickup though....

TuffTD42
14th July 2011, 10:40 PM
Mine is tapped with a t piece into the alt oil drain. Been like this since the install 13 months & no issuse's. But mine is a high mount don't think I would do it with a low mount as the drain needs to have some fall.

AB
15th July 2011, 09:28 AM
Mine is tapped with a t piece into the alt oil drain. Been like this since the install 13 months & no issuse's. But mine is a high mount don't think I would do it with a low mount as the drain needs to have some fall.

For sure, I have seen a lot with the high mounts and have heard of a few with using the low mount but was very weary of this....Cheers mate!