PDA

View Full Version : SD33T water in oil pan

Neo_OverlandMKD
16th October 2020, 09:50 PM
Hello, i recently purchased a MQ with the SD33T engine wich havent been started for 7-8 years,

Last night i was getting ready to start the engine and 1st thing i did was check oil and coolant, and i suspected thelre was no coolat at all.
So there i am putting the coolant in the radiator and at some point i hear the coolant droping in the oil pan and immediately stoped adding more.Checked the oil via the dipstick and it was just like i suspected...coolat in oil pan.

Today i removed the oil cooler because someone told me that it could be cracked and coolant could be leaking from there but i didnt noticed any damage and there was no sludge build up.

Anyone with an idea where to look next? Could it be a head gasket or blown head?

Cuppa
17th October 2020, 08:29 AM
Without starting the motor? Unlikely to be the cylinder head or head gasket if the coolant wasn’t full & not under pressure. Sounds like the block or a cylinder sleeve may be damaged. Not good news if so I’m afraid. Did you check the oil for coolant/water before pouring coolant into the radiator? It’s possible that what you have seen in the oil pan is condensation after it has sat for all that time? Fingers crossed. Also seems odd there was no coolant in the radiator. If the radiator & hoses are not leaking the coolant has leaked away somewhere. Hard to imagine anyone would have drained it & left it.

Neo_OverlandMKD
18th October 2020, 03:34 AM
Without starting the motor? Unlikely to be the cylinder head or head gasket if the coolant wasn’t full & not under pressure. Sounds like the block or a cylinder sleeve may be damaged. Not good news if so I’m afraid. Did you check the oil for coolant/water before pouring coolant into the radiator? It’s possible that what you have seen in the oil pan is condensation after it has sat for all that time? Fingers crossed. Also seems odd there was no coolant in the radiator. If the radiator & hoses are not leaking the coolant has leaked away somewhere. Hard to imagine anyone would have drained it & left it.li

It literally had no oil and coolant in the engine. I added oil 1st & then coolant.

Cuppa
18th October 2020, 08:29 AM
li

It literally had no oil and coolant in the engine. I added oil 1st & then coolant.

Hmmm, doesn’t sound good to me. Suspect you may be up for a replacement motor which will likely be cheaper than a full rebuild. I had a damaged block on a similar ED33 motor a bit over 10 years ago & managed to get a low km Japanese import replacement from a wrecker. At the time of looking there were a few SD33’s around, but they might be bit thinner on the ground now. Was way cheaper than a rebuild & was a good motor, but anything second hand is a gamble.

If anyone else reading this can think of a less dramatic reason for coolant running into the sump without the engine even running, please post.

Neo_OverlandMKD
19th October 2020, 12:19 AM
Problem solved @ the cheapest possible way i could think of... it was the head plug welch.

Thank you for your time and effort to help me here. Appreciate it.