PDA

View Full Version : 92 gq dash into 90 gq to get the tacho

blueej
11th July 2011, 03:21 PM
done the swap no real drama rewired all plugs but i dont think mine has a tacho sender tacho has a red black green and yellow wire anyone know where these might go

Bigrig
11th July 2011, 03:42 PM
done the swap no real drama rewired all plugs but i dont think mine has a tacho sender tacho has a red black green and yellow wire anyone know where these might go

Intro boss... intro!!!

Any photos as we have a couple of auto electricians on here mate who might be able to decipher it.

Yendor
11th July 2011, 04:44 PM
What engine do you have? petrol or diesel?

blueej
12th July 2011, 09:06 AM
diesel 90 gq stock as a rock dont think mine has the factory tach pickup as it didnt come with one, tach in the dash that is. by the way i said gday in the intro page is that the wrong one?

Bigrig
12th July 2011, 09:53 AM
diesel 90 gq stock as a rock dont think mine has the factory tach pickup as it didnt come with one, tach in the dash that is. by the way i said gday in the intro page is that the wrong one?

Nah, right page mate, but usual to put up a bit more information - you know, full name, address, job description and salary, bank account details ... normal stuff!!! LMFAO!!

Just jokes, don't go putting that stuff up!! Be good to know a bit more about you and the rig (photos) though, how long you've been into patrols, what you've had previously, where you like to get away to, etc ... heaps of willing members on here mate, and you never know, you could be around the corner from one who can assist in person, or tag along on trips with etc.

All the best with sorting the dash!!!

Yendor
12th July 2011, 10:28 AM
I am not that familiar with the 4.2 diesel so I don't know if yours would have the tacho sensor pick up, or what would be involved in fitting one or even if it is possible.

Hopefully some else on here can help with that.

But if you are able to fit the pick up hopefully the wiring will already be there

The colours of the wires you are looking for are

Yellow with a white trace
Yellow with a black trace

If these wires are not there then you would need to run some into the dash as well.

The new dash (instrument cluster) you fitted was out of a diesel as well?

If you are unable to fit a pick up, an instrument repairer maybe able to make up a driver that will run of the alternator's star point.

But this will get tricky and expensive, they will need to know the diameter of the crank and alternator pulleys and the alternator will need to be pulled apart and a connection made at the stator.

blueej
12th July 2011, 09:51 PM
have had a patrol for 7 years owned a hj45 before that wicked old tractor.would like to build another 45 model and rig it with nissan running gear that d stir em up a bit.use it as a daily driver,pig hunting,and a yearly trip into the desert chasing camels.shes all stock and very reliable. cheers for the ideas found a suspicious looking plate on the front of the motor might be for a tacho pickup. will investgate and let u know ta