PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone run a reverse osmosis water purifyier.

mudnut
7th October 2020, 12:42 PM
G'day, all.

I am toying with the idea of buying a water purification system suitable for long term camping to reduce the amount of water needed to be carried.

Has anyone had any experience with this type of thing?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

MB
7th October 2020, 08:13 PM
Baby wipes flat packed for Desert showers Craigstar Mate!
Alternatively bust a Patrol spring or two and or :-(

https://youtu.be/4U_xmfSwYSw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GQtdauto
7th October 2020, 08:51 PM
Looked into one for our remote trips but the price put me off , proper reverse osmosis setup was north of three grand last I checked but they were good and used bugger all power .

mudnut
7th October 2020, 09:58 PM
To get as much weight off the Old Trols woeful towball weight, being able to drop a hose into a bucket full of creek or sea water would be a good investment. Also being able to camp until the food runs out is appealing.

I've seen some simple household systems the would require a good quality pump to make it portable.

Tip12345
8th October 2020, 10:20 AM
https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjFnKHfx6PsAhX9yjgGHamNCeYQwqsBMAB6BAgJE AU&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D85 Ua-lS80GA&usg=AOvVaw1z66uEAqktwXMIMjYcq4oy

Cuppa
8th October 2020, 11:02 AM
Also being able to camp until the food runs out is appealing.

How much water can you carry at present? We find, even in remote areas, that water is not our limiting factor. Generally we have always been able to top up our water tanks even in the middle of the western deserts. We do carry a spare water pump which in theory allows us to suck water into our tanks from a river or lake. We carry a small supply of liquid chlorine to add to it in such situations, but in the past 3 years have never needed to put water into our tanks in this way. We have used chlorine on a few occasions though, & our filter removed all taste of it. It is food supplies which limit us. Around 4 weeks is the norm, but we have managed 6 weeks on one occasion. Fresh fruit & veg is the biggest issue, but there are ways to make stuff last longer even when on the road full time without the luxury of being able to dehydrate & vacuum seal like we can when at home. Another thing on water - between the Patrol tank & Tvan tank we can carry up to about 220 litres BUT rarely need to. My suggestion is before considering how to increase water supplies, look at how to conserve it. Eg. We could choose to have hot showers daily, but we have only ever used our ability to shower a handful of times. We operate in ‘water conservation mode’ 99% of the time, and use a 2 litre ice cream tub with an inch or two of water in it, plus a flannel, to wash with. As MR said - wet wipes are good too. Lots of ways to make water go further.

mudnut
8th October 2020, 11:05 AM
I used to love watching the bush tucker man.

mudnut
8th October 2020, 11:14 AM
The towball weight is only 100kg (direct from Nissan Patrol Australia) but all of the vans I have looked at are already around that, unloaded.

I intend to strip the back seats out of vehicle, and thought of installing a water bladders behind the drivers seat.

10G
8th October 2020, 12:15 PM
I use a water bladder on the floor behind the drivers seat, holds about 50 litres. I can carry about 100 litres of water. As Cuppa said, it seems to be food that runs out first with us.

I can wash top to toe in about 1 litre of water and if you wash like that every second day, you save some, if you wash every 3rd day you save even more etc etc. I reckon we've come close to running out of food more times than running out of water, just some real world info.

Cuppa
8th October 2020, 03:53 PM
The towball weight is only 100kg (direct from Nissan Patrol Australia) but all of the vans I have looked at are already around that, unloaded.

I intend to strip the back seats out of vehicle, and thought of installing a water bladders behind the drivers seat.

One of the advantages to running an older MK 2 Tvan (as we do) is that it lacks a large box on the drawbar like later ones & helps to keep towball weight down (I've heard of some later ones running a 250kg towball weight when loaded!). Even so we are still just over 100kg towball weight, & that is with two 20 litre jerries of diesel, plus a porta potti behind the axle to help. (Loaded weight of Tvan is around 1200kg -1300kg). Having the axle as far back as it is, with little rear overhang enables 'towball weight reduction' to be done safely. Needs far more care with most campers which have a longer overhang, but shifting weight to just above or behind the axle if possible will help, but don't be tempted to shift it up the back.

Depending upon where you are intending to go - two smaller water tanks are better than one big one. If one leaks, you still have water.

Cuppa
8th October 2020, 03:59 PM
I can wash top to toe in about 1 litre of water and if you wash like that every second day, you save some, if you wash every 3rd day you save even more etc etc. I reckon we've come close to running out of food more times than running out of water, just some real world info.

Perhaps that's why folk cross the street when we come into town out of the bush. Ha ha.

paulyg
8th October 2020, 05:41 PM
Are you sure your Patrol only has a 100kg tow ball limit?
I have an auto GU, which only has 2500kg tow limit, and it has a 200kg tow ball limit

mudnut
8th October 2020, 06:16 PM
I researched it online, rang my insurance company (dodgy as buggery about it). Called Nissan Australia and the answer is 100kg towball down force with 2500kg for an 1994 RB30 GQ Patrol. But mine has a Nissan towbar with a load limit of 2270kg. With the 60/40 ratio (10%) loading, it does not make any sense. Dual axle vans are better, but most of them are too heavy to tow, anyway.

The GU has a sticker showing a maximum towball weight, proportional to the GVM of the trailer.

mudnut
8th October 2020, 06:27 PM
How much water can you carry at present?

We have 100 lt in plastic jerry cans distributed around the camper trailer. (Yes. We still have that crappy little thing I took up to Bearii)

I am still searching for a suitable van. I did like Jack's Hybrid, but it is a bit to heavy, so an Avan soft roader might be the way to go.

0-TJ-0
8th October 2020, 11:05 PM
We have 100 lt in plastic jerry cans distributed around the camper trailer. (Yes. We still have that crappy little thing I took up to Bearii)

I am still searching for a suitable van. I did like Jack's Hybrid, but it is a bit to heavy, so an Avan soft roader might be the way to go.

I really liked the look of the Avan's when I was looking last year. They hold their value pretty good from the ones I looked at too..

Cuppa
9th October 2020, 11:49 AM
I think the current version of Jack's Hybrid is lighter, but less well appointed.

mudnut
9th October 2020, 06:08 PM
I also thought that having an endless supply of water would be handy when camping with the family. We almost got caught when we ran out. We got to the local town and found that it was $10 for 5 litres at the General store . We got lucky as I talked to the lady at the tourism office and she allowed us to fill our jerry cans (140 lts) from their water tank.

MichaelKK
9th October 2020, 06:14 PM
Hello, there. I know this is off-topic, but I was wondering which blog platform are you using for this site? I’m getting fed up of WordPress because I’ve had problems with hackers and I’m looking at options for another platform. I would be fantastic if you could point me in the direction of a good platform.

MB
9th October 2020, 09:50 PM
Baby Wipes, Suggested Again :-)
Instant Snatch rectification through Cape York younger days appreciation :-)
Pussed out on the 20’ deep 1994 original crossing....Jardine barge backtracked :-)

MB
9th October 2020, 10:06 PM
Maybe some betterer advice, apologies:
Reuse water where possible, pre-cryovac your short/long term Frozen Engel tucker and boil to heat...utilise the clean H2O afterwards for drinking or fanny cleansing if desired [emoji106][emoji106]

EDIT:
Americano = Fanny/Arsehole
Australiano = Twat :-)

PeeBee
10th October 2020, 02:34 AM
Maybe some betterer advice, apologies:
Reuse water where possible, pre-cryovac your short/long term Frozen Engel tucker and boil to heat...utilise the clean H2O afterwards for drinking or fanny cleansing if desired [emoji106][emoji106]

EDIT:
Americano = Fanny/Arsehole
Australiano = Twat :-)

You are so worldly and culturally sensitive @MB!!!

PeeBee
21st October 2020, 08:15 PM
Craig, this is on FB with reduced price, unsure if its the style or capacity you are looking at?
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/672227917004875

joexcx
12th November 2020, 03:33 PM
I use a water filter with a reverse osmosis system and the results are pretty good, you only need to do a little maintenance on the membrane.

mudnut
12th November 2020, 04:47 PM
I use a water filter with a reverse osmosis system and the results are pretty good, you only need to do a little maintenance on the membrane.

Welcome to the forum. Are you able to supply us with more info.

pollenface
13th November 2020, 02:11 PM
After watching the "modified" 4wheeling WA episode of the decked out unimog, it had me looking at reverse osmosis water makers on ebay. Would be a great addition to any touring rig/trailer.

In my travels around oz, I got myself a universal tap key for those taps the council doesn't want you to use. I had trouble finding fresh water taps to get water from. Handy little tool that lives in the glove box.

NissanGQ4.2
13th November 2020, 10:57 PM
Hello, there. I know this is off-topic, but I was wondering which blog platform are you using for this site? I’m getting fed up of WordPress because I’ve had problems with hackers and I’m looking at options for another platform. I would be fantastic if you could point me in the direction of a good platform.

Ill take for granted your not a spammer and asking a legit question..... vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 is the platform this forum uses