PDA

View Full Version : Alloy Rims and Wheel Nuts - GU Patrol

eagle 202
10th July 2011, 04:15 PM
Have read with interest the posts on factory alloy wheel issues with Patrols.
Recent purchase of a 2011 ST GU 3L TD has highlighted this issue. The vehicle as supplied from the dealer was fitted with 'nut indicators', ranging from nil to six per wheel (go figure that one) - total of twelve supplied. On checking nut torques these ranged from 110 Nm to 185 Nm (OM says 133 Nm/ 98 ftlb - assume for both alloy and steel as no advice is given on this in OM).
No wonder problems exist with the alloy wheels - steel wheels are a little more forgiving of 'over-tightening'. Crushing of alloy wheels around the tapered stud holes is also an issue from what I read. Have reset nut torques to 133 Nm and will check to see if changes occur.
I would be interested to hear if other members have been able to extract 'reliable' info from Nissan on this issue.
Keep the wheels where they should be - on the vehicle!
Eagle 202

YNOT
10th July 2011, 04:41 PM
When I recieved my recall notice from Nissan I thought it was a bit rude that Nissan would only supply 12 nut indicators on a vehicle that has 24 wheel nuts.
It sounds to me like who ever was the last person to put the wheels back on your Patrol was lacking in the common sense that would have you put 3 nut indicators on per wheel then ignored the recall advice that said to "torque" up the wheel nuts and used a rattle gun instead.

Tony

Barney56
23rd August 2011, 10:07 PM
I just purchased 2004 Patrol and noticed the "nut covers" on 3 out of 6 on each wheel. These have Nissan logo and a red pointer that I couldn't figure out. I guess from reading this post these are to indicate if nuts are loosening - is this right?

Also how do you remove these to get to the nuts as there is nothing in handbook
Thx
Barney

sinful
6th January 2012, 09:53 PM
I just purchased 2004 Patrol and noticed the "nut covers" on 3 out of 6 on each wheel. These have Nissan logo and a red pointer that I couldn't figure out. I guess from reading this post these are to indicate if nuts are loosening - is this right?

Also how do you remove these to get to the nuts as there is nothing in handbook
Thx
Barney

There is a tool to remove the caps, it should be in the glove box or centre console this is supplied by your Nissan dealer when the recall is carried out. sinful.

bundy4127
25th January 2012, 10:27 AM
I removed my indicators. I would prefer to check wheel nuts with a torque wrench regularly. The indicators just got in the way.

Rowdy1961
11th February 2012, 09:23 PM
I have not found ONE tyre outlet yet that know how to fit these indicators.....

YNOT
11th February 2012, 09:58 PM
I have not found ONE tyre outlet yet that know how to fit these indicators.....

They don't know how to push them onto the wheel nuts???

Tony

macca
12th February 2012, 08:12 AM
Having this topic on the forum has made me grab the torque wrench and leave it set at 133nm in the back of the ute.
I do use a rattle gun when changing rims as it is a quick job then. Then tighten up with the wrench.
I still find some wheel nuts are tighter than others after a week or two.
My daughters bloke is a diesel mechanic, when they refit a rim to a truck they have to notify the driver and he has to re tighten them after some K's.
Guess there is a message there for us even if it is on a much smaller scale.
The rattler is not a good one, SP brand and was about $80 it certainly makes life easy, fitted a couple of tow bars last week, so easy.

teno45
12th February 2012, 11:30 AM
Having this topic on the forum has made me grab the torque wrench and leave it set at 133nm in the back of the ute.

Not the best idea to leave the torque wrench set to any thing other than zero for to long, over time can distort the spring and it wont be quite as accurate. Better of just marking the correct torque with a scratch or something and winding it up and down every use.

Unless its a digital torque wrench then it doesn't matter!

macca
12th February 2012, 01:35 PM
Thanks Teno45. You are correct,
I have one with a spring that is left at zero.
The one Im using for the wheel nuts has no resistance when changing settings. I have a feeling it is mechanical even though the workings are fully enclosed in the handle.
Ive had it since 1980 and never zeroed it and it works fine.
Or its damaged and I dont know the difference :redface:

eagle 202
13th February 2012, 10:10 AM
Following my initial post on wheel nut torque settings I am pleased to report the wheels have not fallen off and have been pleased with the truck. I had it in for a service recently at Nissan dealership and checked wheel nuts before I did a wheel rotation - surprisingly not part of the survice! All nuts without 'indicators' were overtight - maybe the rattle gun was only put on the accessible nuts. Following rotation all nuts set to 130Nm. Will keep a check over the coming weeks.
Torque wrenches - I have used a Norbar wrench since 1985 and recently purchased a 0 to 60 Nm unit and had my 'old' one re-calibrated. It was out by 10 to 15%. I agree wrenches should be re-set to zero after use to preserve spring rate.
The incorrect use of poorly set/calibrated rattle guns is an issue for all vehicle users - stretched threads, nuts difficult to remove and crushed alloy rims.
My advice is be vigilant, especially after someone else 'touches' your vehicle.

scrubrat
14th February 2012, 10:28 AM
I have got into the habit of regularly checking my wheel nuts. Does'nt take long and I know I'm not going to have one of my wheels overtake me when I'm driving down the highway.

Beno
9th January 2014, 03:00 PM
Have read with interest the posts on factory alloy wheel issues with Patrols.
Recent purchase of a 2011 ST GU 3L TD has highlighted this issue. The vehicle as supplied from the dealer was fitted with 'nut indicators', ranging from nil to six per wheel (go figure that one) - total of twelve supplied. On checking nut torques these ranged from 110 Nm to 185 Nm (OM says 133 Nm/ 98 ftlb - assume for both alloy and steel as no advice is given on this in OM).
No wonder problems exist with the alloy wheels - steel wheels are a little more forgiving of 'over-tightening'. Crushing of alloy wheels around the tapered stud holes is also an issue from what I read. Have reset nut torques to 133 Nm and will check to see if changes occur.
I would be interested to hear if other members have been able to extract 'reliable' info from Nissan on this issue.
Keep the wheels where they should be - on the vehicle!
Eagle 202

I work for a mining contractor where we have a series of Y61 Nissan Patrols in our fleet in the CQ region. We were notified of a wheel nut torque issue by one of our sites where I contacted head of Nissan direct on this issue.

Response:

Workshop manual does not differentiate in tension from alloy to steel wheel so 133Nm is correct for both wheels. The manual also state a Min torque of 118Nm to Max 147 Nm so 133Nm is best advised.

We updated our on-site service sheets accordingly and have not had an issue since.

Beno
12th January 2014, 01:55 PM
Forgot to post - Just purchased my new 2013 GU in December last year - looked in the centre console - found a pack of twelve (12) only OEM wheel nut indicators.....WTF!!! Anyway, I had a giggle.

On another note - we have recently completed a wheel nut torque NDT test with mining off highway truck nut/cleat type rim set-up. ALWAYS ENSURE YOUR WHEEL NUTS ARE LUBRICATED - NEVER TORQUE UP WHEEL NUTS DRY. You lose a significant amount of clamping force tightening a dry wheel nut due to friction of the thread. If you use lubricated (oil is preferred / anitseize or equivalent will do) will ensure you achieve the required torque setting.

I hope to have the report on dry vs lubricated wheel nuts in next week or two.

Chris.

clubbyr8
23rd June 2014, 12:47 PM
There is a tool to remove the caps, it should be in the glove box or centre console this is supplied by your Nissan dealer when the recall is carried out. sinful.

What does this tool look like? I've found nothing......lol

threedogs
23rd June 2014, 01:29 PM
after you have new tyres or a rotation done it
always pays to check again after 30-40 Ks.

Rumcajs
23rd June 2014, 07:12 PM
I think I've posted this before....
The part of the recall from Nissan is also not just indicators but laminated card showing how to fit wheels correctly.

Cheers

clubbyr8
23rd June 2014, 09:35 PM
I think I've posted this before....
The part of the recall from Nissan is also not just indicators but laminated card showing how to fit wheels correctly.

Cheers

Thanks mate, I've got the laminated card for the wheels, but no tool or card for the wheel nut indicators. I guess they just lever off???