PDA

View Full Version : How Strong is the rear of a GU?

4wdKenny
8th July 2011, 12:27 PM
A month ago I stopped at a give way sign due to traffic and then 3 seconds later a Mitsubishi SUV hit my rear mounted tyre at speed and the damage to his vehicle was enormous! My GU with tow bar fitted suffered a slightly dented rear door which was replaced and other very minor damage. My spare tyre had a hole the size of a 10cent piece but it held the 45psi with no worries! But was later it found to be not roadworthy, so the spare was replace. I am have been given a nice brand new BFG all terrain LT 265/75R16 with a DOT build number of 0810 (latest) but my other 4 tyres are Micky Thompson 4 ribs!
I pleaded with the panel beaters to match my other tyres with an extra payment but they were unable to oblige! Does anyone want a brand new BFG to swap for a Micky Thompson or some other kind of trade or exchange? If so I am at Ferntree Gully, Victoria, Australia.

Bigrig
8th July 2011, 12:38 PM
A month ago I stopped at a give way sign due to traffic and then 3 seconds later a Mitsubishi SUV hit my rear mounted tyre at speed and the damage to his vehicle was enormous! My GU with tow bar fitted suffered a slightly dented rear door which was replaced and other very minor damage. My spare tyre had a hole the size of a 10cent piece but it held the 45psi with no worries! But was later it found to be not roadworthy, so the spare was replace. I am have been given a nice brand new BFG all terrain LT 265/75R16 with a DOT build number of 0810 (latest) but my other 4 tyres are Micky Thompson 4 ribs!
I pleaded with the panel beaters to match my other tyres with an extra payment but they were unable to oblige! Does anyone want a brand new BFG to swap for a Micky Thompson or some other kind of trade or exchange? If so I am at Ferntree Gully, Victoria, Australia.

Ahhh, got to love when insurance comes into the equation sticking with the letter of the law for replacements - meanwhile however, they're more than happy to take your premium with the Mickey T's fitted ... it's a joke ...

Hope you find someone to swap them with mate.

patch697
8th July 2011, 03:13 PM

Was that the word of the panel shop or the insurance company on that spare?

I can't comment cos I wasn't there but I will say I think you got raw deal mate.

MudRunnerTD
8th July 2011, 04:06 PM
I'm with Patch mate,

i bet the panel beater just ordered from a stock without checking your car. Firstly your entitled to have a like for like i would think? Secondly, the moment you fit that tyre to your car it is no longer RoadWorthy!! Thirdly....... Where did the guy get a list order for a BFG?? it is not like the car came out with a BFG?? WTF. have you paid your excess yet? give the insurance company a call and complain. the panel beater is definitely NOT the LAST WORD!!

fixer982
8th July 2011, 04:40 PM
I'm with Patch mate,

i bet the panel beater just ordered from a stock without checking your car. Firstly your entitled to have a like for like i would think? Secondly, the moment you fit that tyre to your car it is no longer RoadWorthy!! Thirdly....... Where did the guy get a list order for a BFG?? it is not like the car came out with a BFG?? WTF. have you paid your excess yet? give the insurance company a call and complain. the panel beater is definitely NOT the LAST WORD!! Exactly, I agree with Muddy. Insurers often just say replace it and the panel beater then does what's best for him. Make him replace it with a matching tyre otherwise your Trol will be unroadworthy when you fit the spare. Don't let 'em get away with it.

Pete's GU3
8th July 2011, 08:38 PM

Mate i reckon re the damage on the other car is that these days late model cars a designed to crumble on impact to absorb the energy so your brains dont get scrambled ...however GU are mighty tough..i leave my tow bar on as well just in case of a rear end smash...

4wdKenny
9th July 2011, 03:44 PM
Re the BFG tyre supplied under insurance and inability to allow my request to pay extra to get a Micky T to match my other 4 tyres.
It was the word of the Panel Shop first and then confirmed by the Insurance Company, They explained they were stuck with rigid rules although they could see my point of view about the road safety in having 5 matching tyres!

4wdKenny
9th July 2011, 03:52 PM
Re the wrong spare tyre replacement on insurance!
Thanks to all you guys for you input, I am now looking for someone who wants a bargain BFG brand new and lives near Ferntree Gully Victoria!
Cheers and happy 4wding. If I can help anyone with a cut price new 4wd fridge let me know!
regards,

4wdkenny