PDA

View Full Version : Removing a Steering Wheel in a GUIV with Airbag

MudRunnerTD
18th August 2020, 06:43 PM
Hi Gents,

Well i did this a couple of years ago after my leather bound factory wheel split and i had to cut off the sheath. The replacement is wearing also and in time will need replacing too. i will get it retrimmed next time.

I was a little anxious about taking a Steering wheel off with an Airbag but it is very simple and the airbag is not going to explode on impact.

Forgive me, these photos were taken back then and i have just found them on the computer so i may be missing some detail but you get the gist. It is a very very simple task.

You will need a small pik to open the cover of the screws and a #55 Torx bit i think? I cant remember but i had to go and buy one. I bought a cheapish set and put it in the tool box for Ron.

(Edit) DISCONNECT the Battery for Safety's sake.

There is a Screw on each side of the steering wheel. Remove both.

Give the steering wheel a good hit at the 3 and 9 position side to side and it should lift out.

follow your nose, it really is a 5 or 10 minute job. Hope this helps.

TimE
18th August 2020, 06:48 PM
Did you disconnect the battery first?

MudRunnerTD
18th August 2020, 06:53 PM
Did you disconnect the battery first?

To be honest..... I cant remember.. It really was 5 or 6 years ago. Let the Answer be YES. I edited it Thanks

Cremulator
19th August 2020, 08:12 AM
Did you need to mark the alignment of the steering wheel with the spindle so that it went back on straight?

mudski
19th August 2020, 08:13 AM
To be honest..... I cant remember.. It really was 5 or 6 years ago. Let the Answer be YES. I edited it Thanks

Yeah I disconnect the battery when removing mine, but I think there is a secquence or something as I now can't stop the air bag light from flashing. And stuffed if I'm paying Ni$$an to do it. So it remains flashing. I have the GUIV leather wheel in my GUII. I had to get a GUIV clock spring and graft half of it into half of the GUII clock spring, worked a treat. Until I removed the wheel for a second time and now the air bag light issue.

mudski
19th August 2020, 08:14 AM
Did you need to mark the alignment of the steering wheel with the spindle so that it went back on straight?

Yeah see the white nipple bit on the clock spring pictured? Theres a matching groove in the back side of the wheel. Which it needs to sit in.

Cremulator
19th August 2020, 08:20 AM
To be honest..... I cant remember.. It really was 5 or 6 years ago. Let the Answer be YES. I edited it ThanksThe reading I did before doing my steering wheel audio controls was; disconnect battery, disconnect airbag plug, reconnect airbag plug, reconnect battery.
If you disconnect the airbag with the battery connected you get an airbag warning light on the dash that you need to get reset or cleared at a Nissan dealership.
(I'm not sure if you can clear the warning yourself somehow, but I didn't want to have try, or have the airbag with power to it while I was moving it).

Cremulator
19th August 2020, 08:25 AM
Yeah see the white nipple bit on the clock spring pictured? Theres a matching groove in the back side of the wheel. Which it needs to sit in.Ah yeh, I see that.
I have plans to remove my (GU III) steering wheel at some point, so this is helpful info [emoji106]

mudski
19th August 2020, 08:39 AM
The reading I did before doing my steering wheel audio controls was; disconnect battery, disconnect airbag plug, reconnect airbag plug, reconnect battery.
If you disconnect the airbag with the battery connected you get an airbag warning light on the dash that you need to get reset or cleared at a Nissan dealership.
(I'm not sure if you can clear the warning yourself somehow, but I didn't want to have try, or have the airbag with power to it while I was moving it).

Yeah I have the audio control button and clock spring to suit new in a box, I'm contemplating putting in next week, as I have been told from work, to stay home.

MudRunnerTD
19th August 2020, 08:46 AM

I actually swapped wheels so I didn't mark. I just mafe sure the wheel was straight before I started and installed straight again.

Cremulator
19th August 2020, 08:48 AM
Yeah I have the audio control button and clock spring to suit new in a box, I'm contemplating putting in next week, as I have been told from work, to stay home.Do it! I've found it to be such a great mod.

mudski
19th August 2020, 03:21 PM
MudRunnerTD Who repaired your steering wheel? Mine was no way near as bad as yours, had a few cuts in the leather and the colouring was fading, I got a leather restorer to fix it. Came up like brand new and cost $80. I was told it would be circa $400 to make a new leather trim for it by multiple auto trim repair mobs.

MudRunnerTD
19th August 2020, 04:23 PM
MudRunnerTD Who repaired your steering wheel? Mine was no way near as bad as yours, had a few cuts in the leather and the colouring was fading, I got a leather restorer to fix it. Came up like brand new and cost $80. I was told it would be circa $400 to make a new leather trim for it by multiple auto trim repair mobs.

I bought a second hand wheel. So i have that wheel in the shed to be retrimmed or on a change over. But yeah Big bux. The one i bought has some wear in the top section too. THe old one held on for a long time, a few smallish slices grew and then split to a safety issue so i had to strip of the top half as my hands were getting caught which is no good at all. I do expect better from a Steering wheel but oh well.