PDA

View Full Version : buying a 91 gq TI with problems - need advice

reddstagg
6th July 2011, 09:02 PM
Hi Guys,

Redd here I'm 27 and live out in Bairnsdale Victoria, just down in Melbourne about to to buy my first car, a very tidy 91 gq ti. I'm not mechanically minded... but trying to learn as much as i can from my mates in the country about their patrols. Its the quitest, smoothest patrol i've driven... it also has the petronix electronic ignition system in it, and extended rotors... (been reading about it today.)

The guy i'm buying it off had a roadworthy the other month, but went to get a new roadworthy and it has 2 problems:

leaking valve stem seals - blows a puff of blue smoke when it starts then its fine
harmonic balance valve? - leaks 1 drop every 2 to 3 days.

I think part of the problem is that he is running 40W70 - high vescosity oil... he said its newlunds*** don't know how its spelt.

I have 3 options
- get it fixed in town, take it to the get the mechanic to sign off the roadworthy
- take it home, get it fixed down there and get a new roadworthy
- change to thicker oil and hope that it fixes the issues, and get a road worthy down at home.

What would you do? Are either of these issues big ones?

YNOT
6th July 2011, 09:59 PM
Welcome to the forum Redd.

Leaking valve stem seals can be replaced without removing the head if you know what you're doing and have the right tools.

Harmonic balancer seal is relatively easy to replace.

That is a VERY heavy grade of engine oil to be using and may be masking a worn engine. Get the valve stem seals and balancer seal replaced to get the car through a roadworthy and on the road, but I'd be keeping an eye out for a second hand engine.

Tony

Yendor
6th July 2011, 10:13 PM
Hi Redd and welcome to the forum.

To the best of my knowledge those two items aren't roadworthy items (just wash the oil leak down before you take it to get inspected).

Do you know why they are using 40W70 oil? , this could be a concern are they trying to hide something?

I would get a pre-purchase inspection done on the vehicle (including a compression test) before buying it.

Maybe even (if the seller allows it) get engine oil and filter changed.

Mrowka
6th July 2011, 11:05 PM
Honestly, if you don't know what you are doing, I would stay away from any car with "issues."

I know, you learn by doing, but that's a hard way to pick up knowledge, especially if you need a vehicle for basic transport. Been there, done that, and I suspect that this Patrol has lots of other issues that you do not know about yet.

reddstagg
7th July 2011, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the advice.

I actually made a mistake, the oil that i wrote down, was spare additional oil he was going to provide, and not the oil thats currently in the engine.

Currently the engine has very thin, very light stuff, I highly doubt his trying to cover anything up.
The sellers going to get the work and it will be ready to go, but i gotta get back out home this weekend & the wife's been talked out of the car by her parents.

So I've had to let it pass, but if anyones keen on checking out this car, let me know and I'll pass on the details.

Silver
7th July 2011, 06:30 PM
I've got a petrol GQ, and I'd hate to be pouring petrol down it's throat for a regular commute of any distance. Thirsty beggars, esp for those like me, who have a heavy right foot :-)

So, if that was the basis of the outlaw's objections, they may have done you a favour

MQ MAD
8th July 2011, 09:46 AM
I've got a petrol GQ, and I'd hate to be pouring petrol down it's throat for a regular commute of any distance. Thirsty beggars, esp for those like me, who have a heavy right foot :-)

So, if that was the basis of the outlaw's objections, they may have done you a favour

Exactly right !!!

And people bang on that old V8s are thirsty

Wanna try affording a petrol 4x4

Mrowka
9th July 2011, 02:23 AM
If the seller was going to provide you with that oil as "spare additional oil" I doubt that he was doing proper maintenance.

The more I think about it the more I think you dodged a bullet there.