PDA

View Full Version : Best tyres: 99% commuting, occasional beach/offroad

A_Millsy
15th July 2020, 12:09 PM
Looking for ideas for a full set of tyres.
Ive got a 2005 GU Patrol currently running Bridgestone Dueler 285/70 R17 121/118S
Im 99% road driving with occasional beach/dunes and offroad. I want something long lasting, doesn't break the bank and I don't have to turn up the radio because they are so loud.

Currently looking at the BFG All Terrain K02 285/70 R17 121/118R

Ive been told coopers are good but pricey
Yokohama and Falken also thrown into the mix as well, it seems each tyre has good and bad reviews.
Thoughts?

Maxhead
15th July 2020, 12:35 PM
Stick to the Duelers mate. The D697’s are brilliant tyre for longevity.

Can’t go wrong with BF ATs either.

But what ever you do stay away from Coopers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mudnut
15th July 2020, 01:53 PM
I've had BFG Rugged Terrains for 58000km and they are still very in very good nick. I get them rotated,with the spare every service. Mostly road use. They could be a bit chunkier for mud, but I have found that they excel on the sand.

Bovril
16th July 2020, 06:47 AM
But what ever you do stay away from Coopers

What makes you say that? I ran Copper Discoverer STT's and thought they were great. I know they wouldn't suit the OP's requirements, but is your warning over any Cooper tyres?

Maxhead
16th July 2020, 07:21 AM
What makes you say that? I ran Copper Discoverer STT's and thought they were great. I know they wouldn't suit the OP's requirements, but is your warning over any Cooper tyres?

Big chunks or whole knobs falling of the stt’s and their sales rep saying not covered under warranty as they are not supposed to go on dirt road[emoji33]
The internet and this forum of this happening and other negative comments.
Maybe they have fixed that issue but certainly left a sour taste in lots of peoples mouths

mudski
16th July 2020, 07:27 AM
Yeah I had Coopers a few years back. Like driving on ice skates in the wet. Will only run BFG's now...

Winnie
16th July 2020, 07:42 AM
Yeah I wasn't a fan of the BFG I had in the end. Got a shit load of punctures with them and always ran correct tyre pressures.
I have changed to Nitto mud tyres and am very impressed so far but haven't had much use yet. I believe they do a mild all terrain.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Rossco
16th July 2020, 10:19 AM
We had Cooper STs on work ute ages back and would have to say worst tyre ever had even tho they were marketed as being the best on the market. Sooo many punctures, just brush past a pebble and tear the sidewall open. Also so many reports on internet and direct stories of them delaminatiing at speed. Have Coopers STT pros on work ute now as thought would give em another chance as shop that services it puts the hard push on Coopers. Have to say they have probably won back a great deal of confidence in comparison to before and like the look of them. Still definatly a BFG fan boy tho have pretty much ran them my whole drivng life and treated me very very well, good mileage and very few punctures over some pretty rough terrain.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

mudnut
16th July 2020, 10:32 AM
It is a bit weird with the inconsistencies with Coopers. My father has done a few trips around the country, towing a caravan for thousands of ks with some dirt track work, and never had an issue.

10G
16th July 2020, 10:33 AM
I've run 3 sets of Coopers on 2 different vehicles on road and off and never had a problem with 'em. I've run BFGs and not a problem with them either. I've run Nittos and not a problem with them either. Kuhmo's, no problems, Hercules, no dramas but they wore quickly.

I'd almost suggest a HT tyre if you're 99% on road and want peace & quiet. 1% off road may only happen once a year for a short period of time ????

mudnut
16th July 2020, 01:44 PM
I've run 3 sets of Coopers on 2 different vehicles on road and off and never had a problem with 'em. I've run BFGs and not a problem with them either. I've run Nittos and not a problem with them either. Kuhmo's, no problems, Hercules, no dramas but they wore quickly.

I'd almost suggest a HT tyre if you're 99% on road and want peace & quiet. 1% off road may only happen once a year for a short period of time ????

My Patrol had HTs on it when I bought it. I had to put it in 4wd to go on a hill with wet grass.

10G
16th July 2020, 02:08 PM
My Patrol had HTs on it when I bought it. I had to put it in 4wd to go on a hill with wet grass.

Sounds more like user error ;-) ;-):harhar:

the evil twin
16th July 2020, 02:49 PM
Stick to the Duelers mate. The D697’s are brilliant tyre for longevity.

Agree 100%.

We have the 697's on over 1/2 of our fleet (Rangers, DMax, Cruisers) and they go all over WA from Wyndham to the SA Border.
85% road 15% beach and the vehicles with the Duellers perform brilliantly IMHO... comfy and quiet on the long bitumen runs, work nicely on the sand at 14 to 22 PSI depending on compaction

I used to run Duellers or Coopers on my privately owned Patrols that did maybe 50% bitumen the rest gravel, offroad or beach, never had an issue with either brand.
Duellers were better in sand and Coopers better off road... maybe did 400K or so on each brand over the years

Now I run Nittos on the Y62 and they do an excellent job on a heavier rig than the Y60/61's

A_Millsy
16th July 2020, 05:28 PM
So after all of that the duelers are out of stock Australia wide. I’ve heard a lot of conflicting things from coopers. Anyone know anything about the falkans? Otherwise I’ll pony up and go the BFG

Winnie
16th July 2020, 05:48 PM
My Patrol had HTs on it when I bought it. I had to put it in 4wd to go on a hill with wet grass.This is what HT tyres and 2wd did to my backyard during the week...
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/07/120.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

10G
16th July 2020, 07:45 PM
I was told by my local tyre guy that he's been seeing lots of Cooper STT Maxs ending up with lots of splits inside them, not visible from the outside. My other bloke told me that BFGs are now being made in China and that the quality has dropped off.

Who do you believe, I don't know????

mudnut
17th July 2020, 11:18 AM
Bugger. Rugged Terrains are discontinued. Probably too good.

threedogs
17th July 2020, 11:59 AM
Just fitted BFG AT KOs cant fault them
last set on my troopy returned over 110km
Ive found them to be a great all rounder providing
surprising grip off road

MB
18th July 2020, 08:31 PM
Personal rigs; started off a Kumho M/T fan due to cheaper price wise back in the early 90’s, soon worked out that BFG KM1’s were 25% more expensive then but lasted twice as long performing the same if not mountain slash proof shale betterer.
Took the late 90’s 80,000km warranty challenge from Cooper ST’s and was kindly refunded 5/8th credit as they did unfortunately delaminate quite scarily on my old DX ute after a mere 30,000k’s.
Straight back onto BFG KM2’s then were the new models and found performance off-road leap years ahead although wearing some guesstimated 30% faster than older harder KM1 versions.
Popped a little set of the newish KM3’s on our family wagon some 12months ago and find their performance is truly impeccable albeit feel they’ll be lucky to get 50,000kms if we go easy on their much softer gripping rock rubber.
Currently running Nitto Trail Grapplers on an old work ute faithful GQ across NSW 80% tar 10% gravel 10% sludgey jobsites.
Personally sold on these things for amazing longevity and almost as gooda performance as the best of them top dollar BFG’s etc....

MB
18th July 2020, 08:45 PM
Upon reflection, these great Nitto’s look and feel exactly the same as they were when new bought upon leaving our N/E Victorian healthy farm many months ago :-(
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/07/136.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/07/137.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/07/138.jpg

dpetersen
18th July 2020, 11:17 PM
A bit of a different brand but iv been running sailun terramax (yes they’re Chinese). Probably won’t use them again as I’m after something a bit more aggressive but iv done 60k and still around 35% tread. Rotated every 10000, no punctures at all. No slips in the wet and have been very reasonable off road. At $130 a tyre I’m not complaining!

10G
19th July 2020, 11:54 AM
Upon reflection, these great Nitto’s look and feel exactly the same as they were when new bought upon leaving our N/E Victorian healthy farm many months ago :-(
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/07/136.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/07/137.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/07/138.jpg

Totally agree about the Nittos, I've done 60,000 on a set, expect another 5000kms at least.

MB
19th July 2020, 11:11 PM
They are goodens 10G mate!
Not so sure they’d excell in the serious mud crud due to their circumference sidewalls mold line hindering release and their hardness I haven’t had the opportunity as yet to sub 20psi their flexinessy :-)
Do honourably rate them so far as the best highway / M/T bang for buck I’ve known in a short 20 say years :-)

A_Millsy
13th August 2020, 05:44 PM
So both dualers and BFG are out of stock australia wide apparently.
Ive been told the yokohama geolandar at go15 are good for my mostly road and occasional beach/dirt driving...thoughts?

10G
14th August 2020, 09:29 AM
So both dualers and BFG are out of stock australia wide apparently.
Ive been told the yokohama geolandar at go15 are good for my mostly road and occasional beach/dirt driving...thoughts?

I've not seen Yokohama's used on any 4WD since I got into the scene in the late 80's. They used to be known as pretty soft tyres and not too puncture resistant, but that's from quite a while ago.

MudRunnerTD
14th August 2020, 11:18 AM
To be honest mate i would be chasing a second set of tyres. You will find someone selling their road tyres cheap because they want to go muddies. Grab them cheap. you will probably get a full set on rims at a good price. Ex factory. Grab a second hand set of muddies on steelies or something and leave them in the shed and they will last you 10 years mate. If you have the room to store them then you can swap them over in an hour and then play hard without compromise then put the hwy tyres on for your commute without the noise of a Muddie or even an AT.

mudnut
14th August 2020, 11:26 AM
Funny you mention that, Darren. I have a set of 31" HT tyres lying about in my shed. I am quite happy to give them to anybody who wants them. Three are in really good nick and have good tread, one has the same but has had a puncture repair, and the spare is a different brand, but still has good tread. The only issue with them is that they have been sitting around for a few years.

Lionel84
16th August 2020, 11:47 AM
I had a set of old BFG A/T (KO 1's I think they were). Not too bad, and ran them out. A bit of a pig on the road, and offroad were fine, but lacking due to degraded tread.

Got a set of BFG A/T KO 2's. Amazing softer feel on the road, very stable, grippy and comfortable.

Took them up the Old Telegraph Track to the tip with no issues. Good grip on the sidewalls too, but didn't fare well in deep mud, after wankers in big lift utes with muddies chewed it all up, instead of driving over sensibly, and buggered the track up.

Sprock
16th August 2020, 12:13 PM
For what it’s worth I run Kumho MT 51s & swear by em , you have to rotate regularly otherwise they wear unevenly but their grip off rd is unreal.

pollenface
17th August 2020, 08:24 AM
I had no problems with a set of Coopers AT3's ... did 80,000kms and the car died before the tyres did.