PDA

View Full Version : Fuel filter repacement 2.8td

Focaluck
1st August 2010, 01:21 PM
Hey guys,

Just servicing the rig and am at a loss as to priming the fuel filter on the 2.8..
Can anyone give me a quick rundown on what the go is?? And where the bleeding point is (havent played with deisels before)

Cheers..

Focaluck
1st August 2010, 05:01 PM
thanks mate that makes alot of sense.. Just wasn't sure what i was looking at..
I just got the car so Ive givin it a service so i know where it's at..

Thing wasn't reaching operatin temp so pulled the thermostat out out anf found a stick about 150mm stuck in it ???? beats me how youd get it in there in the first place.. Thanks for the help.

patch697
1st August 2010, 09:01 PM
found a stick about 150mm stuck in it ???? beats me how youd get it in there in the first place.. Thanks for the help.

Hmmmmm how odd??? first time for everything I guess.... Maybe a bit of bush mechanics gone on at some point?????

sa_on_patrol
3rd August 2010, 11:41 AM
i'm just about to change my fuel filter on my 2.8GU aswell. what brand did you use and / or what brand do you recommend? I have used ryco oil filters before

Timbo
3rd August 2010, 12:00 PM
I'm pretty sure Ryco do fuel filters too. RYCO (http://www.rycofilters.com.au/)

They aren't one of the biggest for no reason. Stick with them if you haven't had any gripes with their other products.

patch697
3rd August 2010, 12:24 PM
i'm just about to change my fuel filter on my 2.8GU aswell. what brand did you use and / or what brand do you recommend? I have used ryco oil filters before

I use Fleet Guard wherever I can as thay are the "No1" choice in the transport industry & ppl who own trucks don't tend to muck about when it comes to that sort of thing.

sa_on_patrol
3rd August 2010, 12:54 PM
I use Fleet Guard wherever I can as thay are the "No1" choice in the transport industry & ppl who own trucks don't tend to muck about when it comes to that sort of thing.

where do you get them and what price are they

patch697
3rd August 2010, 03:26 PM
where do you get them and what price are they

Anywhere trucks are serviced or truck parts suppliers stock them as a rule & thay are generally more expensive than say ryco but not by much.

The thing to be mindful of is the filters ppm (parts per million) ratio the higher the number normally means the better the filter but quality of materials also come into play so no matter what you by stick with a brand name product & buy the filter with the highest ppm available in its range

I hope this helps

Cheers
Paul

sa_on_patrol
3rd August 2010, 03:58 PM
cheers paul,

i found the part numbers for the 2.8 GU

GU 2.8L Turbo
Year 12/97-01
FUEL OEM - 1640359E00, FG Number - FF5307
LUBE OEM - 1520840L02, FG Number - LF3863

Info from this pdf
http://www.cumminsfiltration.com/pdfs/product_lit/asia_pacific_brochures/3300964A.pdf

sa_on_patrol
3rd August 2010, 04:50 PM
what are the nippon max filters like??

http://www.nipponmax.com/filters.html

patch697
3rd August 2010, 06:20 PM
what are the nippon max filters like??

http://www.nipponmax.com/filters.html

I don't know I've never used them nor do I know anyone who has but I will ask around my trade mates if you like

sa_on_patrol
3rd August 2010, 07:03 PM
I don't know I've never used them nor do I know anyone who has but I will ask around my trade mates if you like

that would be great, the reason I asked was roodogs on ebay have a filters kit for $90.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NISSAN-PATROL-GU-2-8-TURBO-DIESEL-FILTER-KIT-/140365937228?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20ae763a4c

gibbonz
11th August 2010, 07:52 PM
Hi - How often should I replace the Fuel filter in the Rd28T?

AB
11th August 2010, 08:09 PM
Hi - How often should I replace the Fuel filter in the Rd28T?

Hi Gibbonz, welcome to the forum, don't forget to introduce yourself in the introductions section.

Personally, I would change the fuel filter every 10,000km's or yearly. (which ever comes first).

I would say most people change there's every 20,000km's.

patch697
11th August 2010, 09:13 PM
Hi Gibbonz, welcome to the forum, don't forget to introduce yourself in the introductions section.

Personally, I would change the fuel filter every 10,000km's or yearly. (which ever comes first).

I would say most people change there's every 20,000km's.

I seem to remember the service manual saying something like 20k for the TD42 But I agree with AB if it was mine it would be done every 10k

RustyNails
13th August 2010, 05:06 PM
I only use the genuine filters and the fuel I do every 20K or after I have done a trip away where I have picked up fuel from here and there and there and ...

Paul

Finly Owner
11th September 2010, 09:55 PM
go to truck part supplies

deano
20th November 2010, 12:14 AM
Ive been using Sakura oil and fuel filters for years on japanese commerical vehicles without a problem around $10 for oil and $15 for fuel for most makes .I used to swear by fleet guard as well and still use these on yank engines. I agree with AB change fuel filter every 10 000 regardless and only fill up at high turnover service stations . oil every 5 000.

71mud
1st December 2010, 09:32 PM
Hey guys,

Just servicing the rig and am at a loss as to priming the fuel filter on the 2.8..
Can anyone give me a quick rundown on what the go is?? And where the bleeding point is (havent played with deisels before)

Cheers..

On the 2.8 the quickest and easiest method is to remove the fuel line after the filter (leading to the pump) press in the button on top ,put your finger over the outlet from the pump then release button. Remove finger , press button again, then keep repeating till diesel comes out then replace fuel line and give a couple more pumps. Usually only takes 15 to 20 pumps. hope this helps

Mane
19th December 2010, 09:57 PM
Fill up the filter before installing. So you don't have to fill it with a lot pf pumping.

beemer
24th December 2010, 11:32 AM
Good info, I was about to attempt this