PDA

View Full Version : Yay or nay

jay see
9th July 2020, 05:34 PM
I'll be going rope soon. What you you think of these rollers.

There's fairlead extension blocks, but I don't know how neat it will be, if it fits at all and these are more than half the price of the blocks.

https://www.roadrunneroffroad.com.au/ku70054bk-synthetic-fairlead-roller-conversion

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk

PeeBee
9th July 2020, 05:53 PM
I am a leaning on the negative on these for the following reasons.
1) if the rollers are turning as they should, there is no difference between a steel roller and the plastic as the roller face speed should be the same as the rope when it is loaded up - no advantage going Poly Prop.
2) if the rollers just jammed up with mud and crap, stones, and they drag, its now a dragging friction issue. My brother fitted a PP hawse fairlead and first time he used it, the rope to hawse fairlead temp rose it melted a slot into the plastic hawse. I think Alum overcomes this issue.
3) I run an aluminum hawse on both my winches with extension blocks I designed and manufactured. They have rope re-alignment posts as well so you can distribute the rope across the drum better. At a minimum I would stick with aluminum would be my recommendation. There used to the argument that rope could deform and slip down into the corners or the roller assy and jam up on an angled pull - guess its possible but have not seen it.

mudski
9th July 2020, 07:04 PM
Im with Phil on this. 3 would be my option.

Cuppa
9th July 2020, 07:44 PM
I've never seen one before.
I'd be concerned about the possibility of the rope getting jammed too.
Besides you can buy an aluminium hawse for less than the cost of those rollers.

jay see
9th July 2020, 09:07 PM
I think I kinda knew what your saying PeeBee

Problem I have is if I remove the roller assembly will the one in the pic fit? Or if I was to get a standard aluminium hawse fairlead and made up a plate to cover the square hole from the roller assembly would either of these cause a problem with the distance between the fairlead and the winch, would it cause any issues in the way it wraps on the drum.

I wouldn't think it would..http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/07/46.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/07/47.jpg

PeeBee
9th July 2020, 09:23 PM
You won't have any impact on the wrap. What you need to pay attention too, although is probably being pedantic, is there are ooffset and straight thru hawse fairleads. The difference is the entry height of the rope as it presents to the drum. As you are winding in on the bottom of the drum I am guessing select a hawse fairleads that suits that entry plane. Do a Google search to get a handle on what I am saying. They are about the same price and brand of hawse doesn't make a cracker of a difference either

jay see
9th July 2020, 09:30 PM
Thanks mate. I know exactly what your saying in regards to entry angle.

I think I'll work out if I need an offset or not and make a plate to cover the hole and bolt a new aluminium hawse fairlead.

Thanks again.

threedogs
10th July 2020, 09:07 AM
Id be going the aluminium jobbie,
If I can help out give me a text
save a heap of weight as well