PDA

View Full Version : Warn winch brushes anyone?

Brissieboy
7th July 2020, 11:33 AM
Does anyone have a wrecked or damaged Warn winch that they could scavenge some brushes from?
Trying to revive a mate's Warn Magnum 10-S which has a shattered brush, but otherwise recoverable. And I think most models have the same brushes.
Can't locate just the brushes - Warn only sell the complete assembly and way too expensive for what this winch is worth.

MudRunnerTD
7th July 2020, 11:44 AM
Give Roadrunner a call mate. they can probably help you.

mudnut
7th July 2020, 12:34 PM
Why were the brushes shattered? Have a good look at the commutator to see if any sections have become raised.

Brissieboy
7th July 2020, 08:16 PM
Why were the brushes shattered? Have a good look at the commutator to see if any sections have become raised.

Just one was broken - split along its length. The motor was overheated which I think caused the damage, but I also suspect a less that perfect brush as all others are good. Don't often see a brush coming to pieces like this. Commutator is perfect. Field coils are OK but do show signs of excess heat. The rotor in these has very solid wiring and has no damage.

Brissieboy
7th July 2020, 08:17 PM
Give Roadrunner a call mate. they can probably help you.

Sent them a message, but don't like my chances. Thanks for the tip.

Brissieboy
8th July 2020, 10:24 AM
Road Runner unable to help so still looking.
Anybody? Any ideas?

PeeBee
8th July 2020, 05:13 PM
Can you post a photo of the brush? I have an old 24V warn winch motor here off my 15000lb low mount. The brushes are probably the same for the 12v and 24V - I can see if they are close or not. I don't know the condition of the motor, but it was bought as dead, so I swapped it out for a larger new 12V motor.

Brissieboy
9th July 2020, 11:43 AM
This one shows the brush assembly in place:81408
This one shows a good brush on the right and the split one on the left - you can see that it is split right down the centre:81409
Brushes measure 19.9 x 8.9mm and are marked J230[edited a typo].

TimE
9th July 2020, 12:12 PM
Google J230 brushes and you find this (https://www.primehyd.com.au/product/13600-smiths-wa-12v-brush-set-j230), among others

PeeBee
9th July 2020, 03:34 PM
Here is what i can offer, pulled the motor apart to free up the brush assy. Brush leads are crimped rather than bolted as yours are, but you could probably sort this out. CG-50 is stamped on the brush The internal diameter of the motor casing is 98mm. I could zip out and post these tomorrow without issue if you need them.81415814168141781418

PeeBee
10th July 2020, 10:35 AM
How did you get on? i assume you don't need these or they won't fit? Let me know pls so I can pack it back up or send the parts as offered.

Brissieboy
10th July 2020, 12:06 PM
Google J230 brushes and you find this (https://www.primehyd.com.au/product/13600-smiths-wa-12v-brush-set-j230), among others

Yes, been there, done that as my first plan of attack. All the J230 ones that I can find are not the same as these. They are slightly smaller and have the lead (or leads) attached at the end rather than at the face as these ones do and they would not fit.

Brissieboy
10th July 2020, 12:13 PM
How did you get on? i assume you don't need these or they won't fit? Let me know pls so I can pack it back up or send the parts as offered.

I really appreciate the offer PeeBee. Not 100% sure they will fit, but prepared to give it a damn good try!
PM sent.
[edit]
Thank you PeeBee.
This bloke is a true gentleman - he is now sending me his old unit but will not take anything for his trouble. Great old-school values I reckon!