PDA

View Full Version : Re-power but what with?

Crusty
3rd July 2011, 06:06 PM
Hi all!! Thanks for letting me on your site to make my decision easier!!
I have the 2.8 turbo on my 98 GQ wagon. Last week the harmonic balencer came loose, luckily I stopped the car before there was any crank damage. New balencer,key and belts all is good but my mechanic said I should sell it but I love the car too much!
I have 10k to spend, can I get a decent 4.2 turbo plus gearbox for that or is there another solution such as put in v6 holden motor in or something?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.:1087:

GUtsy ute
3rd July 2011, 06:26 PM
Hi Crusty,
Talk to AB,he is the administrator of this site. His mate has ordered a full 4.2 conversion kit,
that he and AB are going to fit to his Patrol.
I'm sure he will give you all the info on who to talk to regarding cost etc.

Cheers

YNOT
3rd July 2011, 06:35 PM
Hi Crusty,
Talk to Patch, He's a super moderator on here and his mate has ordered a full 4.2 conversion kit,
that he and Patch are going to fit to his Patrol.
I'm sure he will give you all the info on who to talk to regarding cost etc.

Cheers

Actually that was AB and his neighbour.

Tony

Yendor
3rd July 2011, 07:13 PM
Sorry, I guess I am missing something here.

So you replaced the harmonic balancer, belts and all is good with the engine?.

But now you want to replace the engine with a 4.2L turbo or a V6 commodore engine?.

Why because your mechanic told you to?, did he just do the timing belt on the 2.8L????

If you want a 4.2L, I would sell your now running 2.8L and then buy one.

Personally I would not waste my time or money putting a GMH V6 in it, now a 5.8L V8 that's a different story, but you may need more then 10K.

Crusty
3rd July 2011, 09:35 PM
Thanks fellas! What does a good 2.8 go for? (220ks) How do I get hold of this AB fella?

YNOT
3rd July 2011, 09:42 PM
Thanks fellas! What does a good 2.8 go for? (220ks) How do I get hold of this AB fella?

Have a look on websites like Carsales.com.au to get an idea of prices.

AB (Andy) is the forum administrator (the top dog in this show), try sending him a private message.

Tony

GUtsy ute
3rd July 2011, 09:51 PM
How do I get hold of this AB fella?

Have a look in your introduction thread, he put up a welcome post to you.
Click on his user name and send him a private message asking about the kit his mate bought.

GUtsy ute
3rd July 2011, 09:53 PM
Have a look on websites like Carsales.com.au to get an idea of prices.

AB (Andy) is the forum administrator (the top dog in this show), try sending him a private message.

Tony

Hi Tony,
Beat me to it!!!

G-ForceCrew
5th July 2011, 04:10 AM
Hi Crusty,

I wouldn't be putting a v6 in it. Depending on what you use it for, but torque is the key not horse power. It you wanted to put a v8 in it I would go for a 400CI small block with t5 truck cam shaft but i wouldn't be doing that either.If you make some hybrid you may be the only one that ever wants to own it. ( it probably doesn't stop with just an engine and gear box) If you make sure its turned up correctly and have driven it for quite a while and your still not happy look into the 4.2 transplant.

Kel

Crusty
5th July 2011, 10:05 AM
Yeah its a tough one fellas, can,t find 4.2 turbo wreck or motor anywhere! Looks like might sell! 10k any takers?

Bigrig
5th July 2011, 11:26 AM
If you want to keep the truck and throw a bigger engine in it, talk to CAPA in South Australia .. 6.0ltr LS2 with full wiring/loom kit and ECU for around $8500 ... allow $2000-$3000 for fitting (this will cover the adaptor gears for the transmission etc also) ...

That's what I'm getting after heaps of research ...